Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Loss of power cont. (Read 408 times)
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Loss of power cont.
Reply #15 - 02/10/16 at 14:07:34

Clutch slightly engaged, with no oil. These are my results, still within range, right?

IMG_20160210_170318.jpg
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 02/10/16 at 14:08:48

Clutch cable loosened

IMG_20160210_170329.jpg
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 02/10/16 at 14:09:53

Clutch lever position

IMG_20160210_170444.jpg
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 02/11/16 at 08:33:21

Alright guys, so if my clutch lever is falling between the two marks on the casing why is my clutch slipping? My understanding thus far is that if the pack is wearing thinner the rod needs to be replaced with a longer rod if sitting higher, shorter if sitting lower but no actual reasoning as of yet as to how or why this occurs. Since my lever is neither too high or too low, what would be the next step in diagnostics besides simply going in?
I am tempted to pour the oil in and start her up bc I'm not SEEING a problem but I KNOW there is one bc my bike was not moving. Should I now begin to inspect my clutch cable? There is an issue somewhere, just haven't quite found the catalyst.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 02/11/16 at 08:54:45

IDK, OF is the guy to call at this point.
I'd be adding HD clutch springs or washers, but that might break the throwout cam.

And I have that much lever gap at rest or slightly more.

What oil are you using?

WWW   IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 02/11/16 at 09:09:19

I squeezed it in slightly at two diff increments bc I wasn't sure how much pressure and my bungee was too long to give proper tension. The lever only moved slightly higher than where it is now but still within an acceptable range.
I'd like to try it again with a second set of hands so I can observe the lever in play. I can do that in about an hr.

I'm going to put in rotella t. I was using Mobil 1.

What gets me is that I didn't have any clutch slippage on my ride from Va to Ga. Didn't notice any slippage while riding around town and then, boom, no gripping at all.  Shocked granted, I never took it above 4th, I would think i would notice slippage in 3rd if there was an issue and never had an issue downshifting for stops.
And I didn't see any flecks in my oil that would lead me to believe there is a more serious issue.

Old feller and Rich gave me a better understanding of the clutch pack but it seems its still kind of a mystery.  Huh
Where are they now??

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 02/11/16 at 09:22:20

Oldfeller got a new heart valve this week....he is recovering.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 02/11/16 at 09:45:10

Oh man. Hope he's alright.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #23 - 02/11/16 at 09:53:20

jjthejetplane wrote on 02/06/16 at 06:43:35:
I went down in Rich and am worried I pushed my clutch pedal in when the bike went down. I posted here asking about the change in pressure in my clutch after I went down that night. It was slight but I could feel it. Now, there is a tiny kink...the tiniest kink when I squeeze in my clutch.  Undecided
I was wondering if my jamming the clutch pedal could cause slippage.  

I said in the first reply,... replace the cable...
It's pretty easy to do,.. and not expensive... and will likely fix the problem.

Always check the easy stuff first... Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 02/11/16 at 10:01:45

As of now, I am leaning towards pulling the clutch so that I can take some pics of what is going on in there and maybe see if the cam chain has ever been tinkered with.....

If the clutch pack looks shortened, I would assume I would then need to add a longer rod and clean the plates per old feller's instructions. Possibly check out the ball bearing to see if it is indeed wearing on the rod  (as suggested by Rich)

Right now, with my lever sitting where it is, I cannot make a determination either way without actually looking at the internals. I'm vdriving myself crazy with the guessing.

While I am down there, JoG suggested I check for the cam shaft tensioner adjustment. I watched a vid and read Vers post but will prob need to redo that to be sure of what I'm looking at.
I know I cannot have oil in the bike whilst doing that. If all looks well, and I will have to get you guys' seconding on that I will reassemble and add oil- Rotella T.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Inaction will be the death of me.

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 02/11/16 at 10:02:41

Can we order the cable aftermarket or do you know a part number, Serowbot?
Thanks

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 02/11/16 at 12:25:58

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1377479692

I've read about 10 posts and this seems the closest to mybsitch but there was no followup and I couldn't ascertain whether she was having clutch issues but assuming that is what brought she and digger to the forum.
Also saw in another post that OF made mention of their being no actual relation to the lever placement starboard side and the cable itself, so thinking, maybe the cable could be the issue as serowbot suggested.
I tried again to check the lever with another set of hands so I could watch the lever. There is movement and it is still within a good range. However, upon reconnecting the cable and squeezing my clutch lever in once I have reached full actuation I hear a slight knock which was the "kink" I felt and described earlier. Adding oil and going to start her up. Will post results

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 02/11/16 at 13:10:19

Alright, I've added my rotella t after double checking my lever's seating. Tried to start the bike and 1. My ignition switch was left on and 2. No power. All lights working minus my bumnsignal which needs to be replaced, horn as strong as ever and no signs of waning.
So, I had been fiddling with the clutch cable, thought maybe I'd disconnected that yellow cable which caused me to lose power in Henderson. Nope.
Would the switch being on have killed the batt? But leave all lights on...?
Idk so,I've pulled the batt which I will run upstairs in a sec to charge/test. Ran bk to the forum tho and firstvpost mentioned the air filter which I'd pulled earlier this WK and noticed was installed backwards. Pulled it again to reexamine that crack bc wondering if PO purposefully installed backwards to compensate for the crack.
Now, waiting.. Included pics of my properly in stalled filter with a better pic of the crack(s) bc now wondering if the batt is good, maybe filter may need to be replaced or reinstalled backward again  Undecided Grin

IMG_20160211_160303.jpg
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 02/11/16 at 13:11:40

Bk of filter

IMG_20160211_160437.jpg
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 02/11/16 at 13:12:25

Front

IMG_20160211_160419.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 01:41:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Loss of power cont.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.