old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Helmet Cam
Reply #15 - 02/08/16 at 21:53:47

gizzo wrote on 02/08/16 at 21:28:14:
Have not heard of the Git2 so went looking. Here it is on sale at $109 with free shipping . Sounds like a good deal.
http://m.gearbest.com/action-cameras/pp_254191.html?gclid=CJPKv_D46coCFdckvQo...

no microphone or remote with that one  Sad

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #16 - 02/08/16 at 22:05:35

Oh. They have an external microphone then? In that case I guess it's not such a bargain. Well spotted, old mate.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 02/09/16 at 07:44:11

gizzo wrote on 02/08/16 at 22:05:35:
Oh. They have an external microphone then? In that case I guess it's not such a bargain. Well spotted, old mate.

I am not sure that needing an external microphone is seen as a bad thing.  So many of the motorcycle videos are just wind noise when the camera is mounted up in the airstream for a good view.  If you could mount an external mic down by the engine or exhaust so that you got a good exhaust note - that would be a cool soundtrack and better than most of the heavy metal music that gets dubbed in.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DavidP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 02/09/16 at 08:28:43

Just for the sake of clarity it appears that there are two versions of the GIT2. The one at $159 is labelled Pro Packaging and I assumed that the difference was that it came with a variety of mounting adapters. Closer examination of the GITUP site shows that the GIT2 Pro does have a built in microphone but also supports an external one as well.
I am still thinking that the GIT2 (Pro) is the one for me.

DavidP

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 02/09/16 at 13:02:48

Wind noise is a major spoiler of bike videos and the reason so many of them on Youtube play music in the background.  An external mic is generally considered a plus.  Some who mount the camera on their helmet or chest attach the mic to their jacket in the back, just above the seat.  This reduces wind noise, valve train noise etc. and maximizes exhaust sounds.

Here is a video review of that camera you are talking about, the Git2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X10JFBd94GM

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #20 - 02/09/16 at 21:04:43

There's probably a dead cat you can get for the external mike .

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #21 - 03/01/16 at 04:11:12

I've just been out paragliding with a buddy who is a camera fetishist and owns a pile of go pros. He showed me his new sjcam 4000 and totally raves about it. He says its as good as a go pro. I trust his evaluation. Might even go buy one...

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #22 - 03/01/16 at 12:13:55

I have a go pro and the real disadvantage is that it does not come with a screen. This Git camera sure looks like a good deal.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
DavidP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 03/09/16 at 15:25:45

Well I eventually purchased the GIT2 with the Pro packaging and I am pretty pleased with the device. The recording resolution goes up to 2k and it has more features than I will ever use. There is an attachment for your helmet and one that fits to the handlebars (it also fits neatly onto the front indicator stalk). There are several other brackets although I had to purchase a suction cup to use it as a dash cam. Two negatives. I am old school and I like a paper manual, there is nothing with this other than a quick start fold out sheet and although it gets you kind of started I had to youtube to find out how it set up. The second minor whine is that the GIT2 iphone software is not available and they recommend a third party. Although this works and allows you to wifi the camera to your phone it does seem like they rushed the release.
Anyway here is a video of my first adventure. Although the camera will go much higher I recorded this in 1080 because that is all youtube can do. Also I was so enthralled by the camera that I forgot to pull out the choke until I was on the road so lets not look at the first 100 feet. Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2H2PZDW8Lw

DavidP

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #24 - 03/09/16 at 17:28:38

David,

The camera works good, I would like to have one. Did you get it from Amazon?

Looks like you have the same greedy dentists where you live that we have in North Texas. Nothing like building up a practice with speed bumps.

Kenny G

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 03/09/16 at 18:30:08

Hello Dave, I enjoyed your video and I plan to buy a new action cam before the riding season starts.  I'm down to two choices, one like yours, the Git2 Pro package or the Sony AS200v.  I prefer chest mount so the long slim Sony might look just plain stupid sticking out from the middle of my chest.  Anyway thanks for the video link and keeping us informed on your choice of cameras.
PS  That's a great looking neighborhood you live in.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #26 - 03/09/16 at 19:06:41

I'm glad YOU know where the speed bumps are! As I was watching, I didn't see them coming up. I was wondering why you were stopping!  Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 03/10/16 at 04:30:12

DavidP.

Nice neighborhood - but I could not live on a street with speed bumps.  You had to cross over more speed bumps than are in the entire County where I live!  (I have a pretty good idea that with sledge hammer and large chisel.....I could clear out a path wide enough to ride a motorcycle through).

I noticed several places in the video where the pictures had some glitches and got confused squares showing up.....and in a few other places it seemed there were square "ghosts" that stood out....mostly close to the bike where the moving pavement was (I guess the camera can't reproduce the fast pavement movement near the camera) - I don't own an action camera....so I don't know what to expect from them.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #28 - 03/10/16 at 04:48:27

The resolution was fuzzing (digitizing) a lot... i'm thinking maybe you should drop it down while filming when moving quickly (higher speeds) as it seems it take the camera a little bit of time to reset to a clear shot.
How about a dash cam video of the same road using the same setting going the same speed, but with the camera mounted inside a vehicle?
That would be a good comparison to see if it was still fuzzing.

I like the fact that I could not hear a bunch of wind noise....like my little emerson puts out.

Did you buy the external microphone? or did you have one plugged in for this video?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 03/10/16 at 06:27:49

I have found that with my budget camera I get the best video when I step down from the highest resolution setting.  At 1080p and 30 frames per second the motion looks a little strange but at 720p and 60 frames a second it looks good. With a new camera I hope to get a decent video at 1080p and 60 fps.

Dave, your camera really did do a nice job of filtering out the wind noise.  Was it in the water proof case or did you use an external mic?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:26:53

General CategoryThe Cafe › Helmet Cam

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.