Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
'86 Savage - Leaking Oil onto Spark Plug (Read 314 times)
SavageCounsel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: '86 Savage - Leaking Oil onto Spark Plug
Reply #30 - 02/25/16 at 11:24:52

Oil would be inside the cover near the spark plug. Oil would also be in the outside but could just be leaking from the same place out.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #31 - 02/25/16 at 11:35:29

Verslagen and I were both able to identify where a leak comes from, by hooking up the vent tube at the top of the cylinder cover - to an air compressor to pressurize the crankcase (I only had 5 psi in my compressor).  Once the pressure is applied to the engine, I used a spray bottle to apply a dish soap/water mix, and then I watched for bubbles.  It worked very well to identify the leak.  If your head cover is the source of the leak....then you might as well put a Verslagen head plug in while you have the cylinder head cap removed.

Also.....the left front cylinder had stud can leak oil from around the washer - that stud has an opening around it, and it functions as the drain for the oil from the cylinder head.  If that is the source of the leak, remove the nut, clean the nut and cylinder head, and then apply sealer to the nut.  The threads on the stud should have never seize applied, then the nut needs to be torqued.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SavageCounsel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 02/25/16 at 16:34:16

That is extremely clever. I will hunt down a compressor and inform you of my results once the test is completed. From the pictures you posted it looks like one of those two areas is the likely culprit. I got pricing from verslagen and will be sending him a message for the plug. Thanks for the help so far.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #33 - 02/25/16 at 20:53:02

Bicycle, or football pump ,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #34 - 02/25/16 at 21:30:11

WWW   IP Logged
SavageCounsel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 03/21/16 at 20:35:03

I had some family health issues I had to deal with.  I appreciate the help so far.  With the test prescribed it looks like it is leaking from both places. But more from the top.  It looks like a head cover problem is the main culprit.  That means I have to remove the engine to repair it correct?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #36 - 03/22/16 at 03:39:59

SavageCounsel wrote on 03/21/16 at 20:35:03:
That means I have to remove the engine to repair it correct?

No....the fuel tank, top engine mount, chrome covers, valve covers (cause there are two bolts hiding under them), the breather hose and a few other parts need to come off.  The cylinder head and engine can stay where they are.  You should order a Verslagen head plug while you are doing this....that will prevent that leak from happening again.

There are some threads in the Tech Section that cover how to do this.  Buy the correct Suzuki Bond....don't go cheap and try to use RTV gasket from the parts store or Walmart.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 19:26:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › '86 Savage - Leaking Oil onto Spark Plug

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.