Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
'86 Savage - Leaking Oil onto Spark Plug (Read 314 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: '86 Savage - Leaking Oil onto Spark Plug
Reply #15 - 02/06/16 at 10:26:31

Art, what page is that on? I called myself looking in the Clymers last night but no luck. I did work 14 hours yesterday though. That's my excuse!  Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
SavageCounsel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 02/07/16 at 12:06:43

Picked up the adapter. Had to bump start it cold going down hill with the tank off. It was a lot of fun. Got a clean read of 120. What next?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 02/08/16 at 03:43:09

SavageCounsel wrote on 02/07/16 at 12:06:43:
Picked up the adapter. Had to bump start it cold going down hill with the tank off. It was a lot of fun. Got a clean read of 120. What next?

You have me a bit confused.....why did you need to bump start the engine with the tank off to get a compression test?  Normally the test is done using the starter button.....you did the test by pushing the bike in gear?

A reading of 120 psi is really low.  If that reading is accurate, that is a low of compression and I am surprised the bike will start.  That low compression, along with the oil burning indicates your piston/rings/cylinder are not in good shape.

It is time for you to decide what to do.  Do you have the ability to take the engine out of the frame, remove the head and cylinder, and put it all back to together again?  Is the bike worth spending $ 400 to get a good used stock piston/cylinder and the needed gaskets - or $ 800 for the parts needed to install a Wiseco?  Likely you can buy a good late model 5 speed engine for a similar price - and it will have the starter torque limiter to help prevent broken pieces if the engine were to kick backwards on the shutdown.  

Or....do you part out the bike and buy another one that requires little or no work? In this area $ 1,500 - $ 2,000 can buy a very nice used bike that is ready to ride.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #18 - 02/08/16 at 08:43:30

Kris, it's on page 117 in the 'engine specs' chart, under compression ratio, listed as 'compression pressure'
120 is really low, but I have doubts the test was accurate, IIRC you have to crank the engine several revolutions with the throttle held wide open to get an accurate reading
I have doubts that happened while 'bump starting ' it

IP Logged
SavageCounsel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 02/08/16 at 09:36:06

Alas, still waiting for my battery to ship. I will do a more proper test once it's in and post the results.

Bump startin was fun but I am sure you guys are right. And yes I coasted it in second and popped it in gear to get a revolution for the test.

I am find spending some cash and rebuilding the engine. The work is part of the fun for me.

I love this bike. We have a love / hate relationship.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #20 - 02/08/16 at 09:42:30

form all I've heard, one revolution definitely would not be accurate
you can jump it off a car battery, so long as you do not start the car

IP Logged
SavageCounsel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 02/08/16 at 09:59:23

How can I compression test with the bike running with the spark plug out? The tool goes into the spark plug hole. Am I missing something?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 02/08/16 at 10:03:31

SavageCounsel wrote on 02/08/16 at 09:59:23:
How can I compression test with the bike running with the spark plug out? The tool goes into the spark plug hole. Am I missing something?

You cannot do it with the engine running.  You install the compression tester, hold the throttle open, hit the starter button and allow the electric starter to turn the engine over, and you watch the compression gauge.  It will not show anything for a revolution or two...then the compression release solenoid will release and allow the exhaust valve to close, and the compression will start to build.  You hold the starter button until the maximum reading is achieved.....most likely that will be 3 or 4 compression strokes.

IP Logged
SavageCounsel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 02/08/16 at 10:09:24

Dave,

Thank you sir. I'll post results when I get the battery in. Thanks for bearing with me. I appreciate the sage wisdom and patience.

IP Logged
SavageCounsel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 02/11/16 at 07:25:24

Finally got new battery in mail. Unfortunately I have to go on a trip. I will run the test next week and post results. Anyone have information how their EarthX batteries are working after a couple years? This site made me interested in them as a lighter alternative.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 02/11/16 at 07:36:31

SavageCounsel wrote on 02/11/16 at 07:25:24:
Anyone have information how their EarthX batteries are working after a couple years? This site made me interested in them as a lighter alternative.

I bought my EarthX 3 years ago, and I have never had it on a trickle charger yet (they don't want you to do that and it is best just to leave it alone as it holds the charge a long time).  Each spring I hit the key and it fires right up.

My bike is stored in a heated garage, and I don't ride in the cold and my bike always startes within a second of hitting the starter button.....I never have to crank for an extended period.  The battery is incredibly light and works fine - however you must never leave your key on and run the battery down completely......they claim that when you do that the LiIon battery suddenly becomes useless and cannot be restored.

Since you just bought a new battery...might as well use that until it is worn out.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 02/15/16 at 11:16:43

Just slapping a
New Battery
in and hitting the starter won't NECESSARILY give you what you want.
Test battery voltage with a meter. It needs to be 12.6 or better.

Without reading the voltage, you can't know what your starter is being spun over by. I'd wanna know battery voltage, key off, voltage, key on and Start button pushed
And, I'd wanna know what voltage is making it through the circuitry and is AT the starter.

I went back and read the full story.
If you wanna ride, either buy another one, get a motor and electronic stuff to make it run, keep everything, fix the old motor. Swap back, test, sell the other motor.
I THOUGHT I saw something like,

I'm gonna fix this classic...

Emotional attachment to machinery can get irrationally expensive.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SavageCounsel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 02/24/16 at 04:26:18

Alright folks. I got battery installed and ran compression test correctly. I did it twice and got 155psi both times. So I am within specs. What is the next step?

IP Logged
SavageCounsel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 02/25/16 at 11:02:10

Is the next think I tackle head plug and gaskets?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 02/25/16 at 11:17:12

I still don't understand this oil leak.

Is it on the outside of the engine....or is the oil inside the engine and the oil is fouling the spark plug electrode?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 17:19:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › '86 Savage - Leaking Oil onto Spark Plug

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.