Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20
Send Topic Print
July Stecoah NC trip (near Dragon) - July 22-30 (Read 2386 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: July Stecoah NC trip (near Dragon) - July 22-3
Reply #225 - 07/14/16 at 08:13:40

MM....don't pack a tent, as I can bring enough tents for everybody.  Badwolf has his own tent if he needs it, I can use my trailer...we might only need space for two.  (I might pick up a bigger tent this weekend that will sleep 3-4 comfortably).

I will plan on returning to KSL in the afternoon on Thursday to pick you up.....then we can knock around for a few miles until Badwolf arrives.

I don't know if we have any cell telephone service in that area.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #226 - 07/14/16 at 08:17:52

Correction :  Sunday Afternoon   Roll Eyes

there should be plenty of cake and maybe even a hamburger ?   My brother's granddaughter's 8th. birthday .  Smiley

Sounds good Dave .   I can bring my 8x10 if need be , it might be a little tight for three but it would work !  Cheesy

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #227 - 07/16/16 at 19:15:50

My wife and I went to Cabela's and got a new tent last night.  The timing was perfect as the exact $ 320 tent I wanted was on sale for $ 223.99.  It has a 9x11 sleeping area, and a 9x6 screened area.  It is supposed to be a 6 person tent - and you could pack that many in shoulder to shoulder.  It will however sleep 4 comfortably, and if the weather is dry and warm the screened area would be a nice place for somebody....as it does have a rain fly on the top and screened walls.

It really does require 2 people to set it up - so I will have to wait for MM to arrive before I set it up.  If I get to the KSL before he arrives...I can get it laid out and the poles in place...ready to stand things up.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #228 - 07/16/16 at 20:38:07

Can-Do buddy !    Cool

I'm still planning on having a leisurely ride on US-64 all the way to US-129 then up to Dragon Central .   Then a nice smooth/quick ride out NC-28 to KSL .    Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #229 - 07/17/16 at 07:13:16

MM:  On Thursday morning I can ride out to meet you......Why don't we plan on meeting in Robbinsville for lunch.  We can meet at The Hub.  It is that little place we stopped to eat when we stayed in Robbinsville at the Simple Life campground.  The address is: 664 Rodney Orr Bypass, Robbinsville

http://www.killboy.com/the-hub/

What time do you think you will be in that area?

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #230 - 07/17/16 at 19:28:40

I'll check on map quest .   Then add an hour !  Cheesy

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #231 - 07/17/16 at 20:22:35

Dave ,  MapQuest says :  about 100 miles of Super-Slab followed by about 90 miles of (Hwy-74 , 64 , and 129)  I,m guessing 5 hours-ish .  Roll Eyes ...

So if I leave about 08:00 hrs , I'm meet ya about 13:00 hrs. and be ready for lunch !   Smiley

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #232 - 07/18/16 at 05:37:11

MM:

Mapquest says the Kick Stand Lodge is only 15 minutes away from The Hub in Robbinsville.....so I am going to have the shortest ride.

Most likely I will get to the KSL in the morning, get my car/trailer set up at our camping spot, and then unload my bike and go for a ride up to the Dragon and back (Thursday mornings should be pretty calm up there).  I will meet you at the Hub for lunch, then we can ride up to the campground and unload your bike.

We can then go for a ride, and return in the evening to set up the tent and watch for Badwolf to arrive.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #233 - 07/18/16 at 07:57:15

Trip attendees;
Just as a reminder, I will be driving up from central Alabama Friday after work (hauling the bike). Coming up through Atlanta, Marietta, Ellijay, Blue Ridge, Murphy to Wesser via 74.

If anyone is traveling late Friday in proximity to my route and wants to stay connected in the event that you may need assistance, PM me here and we can swap phone numbers.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #234 - 07/19/16 at 09:06:05

Stewmills:

Is there a ride you want us to save and do on Saturday when you are riding? Are you more fond of the tight/twisty mountain roads....or more into just cruising along and enjoying the scenery?

On Thursday morning I plan on riding up 28 to the Dragon, and riding it a couple of times before I meet MMRanch in Robbinsville at 1 PM.  After lunch we will ride the 15 minutes to KSL and unload his stuff, then most likely go for a ride until early evening we will return, set up the tent, and wait for Badwolf.

One potential ride is to head south on 28 through Franklin to Clayton Georgia, then take Warwoman west, and ultimately ride over to Wolf Gap Road and eat lunch at the Two Wheel Inn.  From there we can head north to Tellico Plains (bit of a boring ride between those 2 places), but then we can ride the Cherohala Skyway, then up 129 to Deals Gap, then we can ride the Dragon or just ride south to our tent.

A second trip would be a 145 mile loop that goes onto Wayah Road, through the Nantahala Gorge, through Cherokee and Maggie Valley on 19, then west on 74 back to 28.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #235 - 07/19/16 at 09:32:06

Dave et al,

I am cool with anything you want.  I like the twisties, but I like the Cherohala type ride as well.  I think I have been on most of the roads/routes you have mentioned (they get confused in my head as to which was which) and they are all good in my book.  

My only request is to at least hit the Dragon once as I missed it on my last trip as we ran out of sunlight.  Other than that, I'll smile as long as I'm up on two wheels with the shiny side up. Cool

Did the TWI get the restaurant open yet? They were still working on it when I was there late May.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #236 - 07/19/16 at 09:45:28

I ate at the TWI when I was in Franklin last month.  The lunch was a good burger and fries, at a good price.  The Wolf Pen Gap road on the way to the Dragon was a really fun road (unfortunately it was a bit clogged with bicycle riders - but even on a Ninja 250 they were easy to pass when going uphill!).

I could spend a couple days just running north on 28 to the Dragon, then south to Franklin, then west to Wayah Road.....then ride the route in reverse.......repeat as long as the daylight lasts!

« Last Edit: 07/19/16 at 10:59:22 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #237 - 07/20/16 at 05:17:03

My bike is in the trailer, the car is loaded up with the tent and supplies, and I will be leaving tonight as soon as my Council meeting is over.

Weather forecast looks pretty good.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/robbinsville-nc/28771/july-weather/12174_pc?

The temperatures look to be really warm during the day.  On Saturday afternoon we may need to dodge a scattered shower here and there (if possible).  As Saturday approaches we might want to watch the forecast and plan our ride to go north/south of the showers.....but I believe what happens is the humid conditions and daytime heating result in pop up showers at the higher elevations.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #238 - 07/20/16 at 05:48:14

I know the Clayton area some, have friends there. There is a restaurant in old downtown in a converted gas station, great huge burgers! Some of the roads around there are around lakes and are NOTHING BUT CURVES!
I'm in western KY now, and will be leaving Thurs AM. Going across I40 and cutting down to the KSL. See ya tomorrow!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #239 - 07/20/16 at 21:17:16

I'm loaded and ready to leave in the morning !   Smiley

If I could "Just remember what is is I'm forgetting " ...  Grin

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/07/24 at 23:44:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › July Stecoah NC trip (near Dragon) - July 22-30

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.