Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exhaust Inquiry (Trimming A Must?) (Read 142 times)
hollisjohnson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Exhaust Inquiry (Trimming A Must?)
02/02/16 at 07:42:13

Hi guys,

First and foremost, thanks to everyone for the input on this forum. You guys helped me buy a Savage as my first bike. You also helped me diagnose and fix the petcock issue when I ran into trouble.

I love the Savage, mine is a 2005 and it's been a great starter bike. I would love to upgrade the exhaust and I've read many different things throughout the forum. I would like to get something deeper, something louder (not too loud). I've been searching for a couple months and haven't been able to find the old Harley models that are recommended throughout the forum (far East Coast of Canada).  

I'm wondering a couple things: I looked at the Ryca reverse cone exhaust but I've also read that people say it's too loud and doesn't sound good. I would also have to cut 1" on the end of the pipe and buy the Ryca adaptor to make it fit. So my question is: is that process worth doing, are there some better options available that can leave the 1" on the pipe and fit the stock header or is that standard process for most exhaust installs?

I'm also wondering if I would need to re-jet the bike (with that pipe). Everything on the bike (besides handlebar upgrade by previous owner) is stock at the moment.

Thanks for the input and help, this is one of the best motorcycle communities I've come across online. Cheers!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Exhaust Inquiry (Trimming A Must?)
Reply #1 - 02/02/16 at 08:07:01

The end of the pile can be trimmed.....it really doesn't do anything even with the stock muffler.  For some reason the inner pipe just sticks out a little bit.

The RYCA adapter is a nice piece - but not really cheap.  It does make any aftermarket or DYNA muffler attachment just a bit easier.

Superthumper has a kit in the marketplace that bolts up easily....maybe he can shop to Canada.  He is in Vermont - so the distance isn't that far.

The RYCA megaphone muffler is made by Emgo, and it is obnoxiously loud.  If you can cut and weld some changes to the baffle, it can be made tolerable - but I think there are better choices.

The long Emgo muffler works pretty well on the Savage. This does not work with the RYCA adapter - MMRanch uses this muffler and he cut the very and of his header (behind the larger ring), and welded the pipe back together at an angle.
n4AAOSwr81UTlKW&vxp=mtr" target="_blank">http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emgo-Universal-26-Reverse-Cone-Cafe-Motorcycle-Muffler-Chrome-80-84034-/181976096227?hash=item2a5e9edde3:gTonguen4AAOSwr81UTlKW&vxp=mtr

Jetting....maybe.  There is not way to know for sure....every bike is just a bit different.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #2 - 02/02/16 at 08:58:13

I got the kit from Superthumper and am extremely pleased with the whole package. He recommend cutting the header pipe a inch, but it went right on fine as it was, the stock heat shield even went right back on to hide the joints.The sound is nice, throaty, deeper, a little louder but doesn't annoy you on a long ride. When you ride around most Harleys you won't hear your own engine. My other bike is a Honda PC800 Pacific Coast, (body by Tupperware) and a Goldwing for 200k before that. I'm used to quiet bikes, the S40 was fine stock, but I like it better now.
He puts together the whole package, it works, and for a fair price. You will have to do the washer thing to re-jet, but is no big deal.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #3 - 02/02/16 at 12:03:33

Dave or MM,

I guess I am going to try the MM Ranch cut and angle the header.

Do you think the 7 Degree angle, as we have done with the custom adapters, is correct?

Since I know longer have welding equipment I will have the custom muffler shop make the cut and weld for me and knowing what to tell them will be helpful.

I would love to be able to slant the megaphone on an angle like a Norton, but that is probably too complicated for something that I cannot do myself.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 02/02/16 at 12:15:26

I don't know for sure KennyG.  The DYNA works with a 6 degree angle - but it is easy to rotate the adapter when it is on the bike to get it correct before you tighten the clamps.  Evidently the EMGO mufflers that RYCA uses work with a 10 degree angle.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 02/02/16 at 13:36:47

Many of us have the Dyna installed without an adapter.  I used 2 or 3 tin can gaskets plus the 6 (or so) cuts in the Dyna flange plus the big Harley clamp that came with the Dyna.  Works a treat.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 02/02/16 at 14:39:41

If your battery has a vent tube and you grind the header, don't let sparks near the tube. Hydrogen gas is explosive. And an exploded battery is a SEVERAL hours clean up.
Ohh, and it's Loud.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
norcalscot
YaBB Newbies

Where there's a hill
there's a way

Northern California
Reply #7 - 02/03/16 at 09:46:38

I got Super Thumpers kit as well - no cutting, just bolt on and go. Sounds great and looks excellent also....  Smiley

2009 Suzuki S40 : Raptor Petcock + Harley Soft Tail FLSTC FXCW muffler
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 02/03/16 at 14:08:45

Making the RYCA EMGO shorty megaphone muffler quiet.

Using a table leg.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1432113513/14#14

See post #276 in this link.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1304722902/240

And somewhere else somebody built some internal baffles for the EMGO shorty - but I just can' t find it.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #9 - 02/03/16 at 16:00:21

I have a dyna muffler, a ryca angled pipe and a trimmed header, I also have a little matching heatshield.
if your interested I can sell it all to you for $100 + actual shipping

Papiekarski@gmail.com

IP Logged
savageKenny
YaBB Newbies

Muahahahaha!

BFE, Minnesota
Reply #10 - 02/03/16 at 17:56:44

I installed a Jardine part# 14-4104-01

I think the Jardine looks and sounds fantastic.  No regrets.

There is a little gasket where the header and muffler connect.  We were able to pull the gasket out of the factory muffler (muffler was mutilated in the process).  The Suzuki part# for that gasket is 14771-24B01

Here is a neat exploded diagram of the whole assembly..
http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/1986-suzuki-ls650f-muffler-assembly.html?...

It's hard to say what is "too loud" though, and I'll be quick to point out that, when you need to, you can control the volume a great deal by just being polite with your right wrist.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:19:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust Inquiry (Trimming A Must?)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.