Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Yamaha R6
Reply #15 - 02/03/16 at 06:43:07

I have watched Dave on his 1100 go down the Skyway with a pack of road rockets, and when they got tired and stopped for a bit I pulled up with them at an overlook where they were talking to each other dumbfounded that a TOURING BIKE was able to keep up with them ......

The Savage lacked top end in the straights, I could not keep up with the group.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
dontwannapickle
YaBB Newbies

Woodbows and sharp
Rocks!

Huntsville, AL
Reply #16 - 02/05/16 at 09:36:53

MM, when the weather gets right I'll let you get a feel of a 600cc sportbike. I've got the predecessor of the R6, a 600R. Its a much better streeter than the R6, with a more relaxed seating position and more HP and torque everywhere below 10k RPMs. Fully adjustable suspension adjusted fairly well makes steering precise and effortless. The Skyway is Heaven on it.

Just be ready and leaning forward when it comes up on the cam! I barely stayed on first time I hit 8K.

'04 Savageless
I don't wanna pickle. I just wanna ride on my motorsickle.
And I don't wanna die, I just wanna ride on my motorcy...cle.
-Arlo Guthrie
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #17 - 02/05/16 at 10:57:09

MM take that offer, you won't be disappointed, the 600r is a sweet ridthe caveat of course is
you might not be able to keep from shattering all KINZ of speed limits  Grin

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #18 - 02/05/16 at 14:45:21

I'm really looking forward to my next bike ride to Huntsville !  Smiley

I won't be branded "Part Chicken" if I only go to 6000 will I  ???  Roll Eyes

So far the quickest bike I've rode was a 1st year Kawasaki 500 triple 2 cycle.  In second gear the front wheel freely rose off the ground directional proportional to the amount throttle , then to my surprise it was the same in 3rd gear , but 4th only bounced up a little.  That is when I looked at the speedometer showing 95 ish.  Tongue  
I had a 1971 Yamaha SX-650 that I let wine out on the interstate one time.  I had to duck out of the wind to see "just how fast would it go."  The speedometer floated between 135 and 140 and that seemed odd , it didn't normally "float around ?  Huh   Then it dawned on me "Front wheel on the pavement speedometer goes up --- front wheel leave the pavement speedometer goes down .  Roll Eyes ... I decided to slow down .  Undecided ... That was the last one I "let wine out . Tongue

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 02/05/16 at 14:49:59

MMRanch wrote on 02/05/16 at 14:45:21:
The speedometer floated between 135 and 140 and that seemed odd , it didn't normally "float around ?  Huh   Then it dawned on me "Front wheel on the pavement speedometer goes up --- front wheel leave the pavement speedometer goes down .  Roll Eyes ... I decided to slow down .  

roflol   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #20 - 02/06/16 at 07:57:21

put it this way
1 wind it up to 6k
2 hit 2nd
3 lay down on the tank
4 wind her up to redline (assuming no cops around)
5 let off and upshift
do not repeat 4
you're welcome  Wink

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #21 - 02/06/16 at 10:22:47

Art Webb wrote on 02/06/16 at 07:57:21:
do not repeat 4

Probably good advice!  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #22 - 02/06/16 at 11:21:11

This is probably directed towards Dave; although, please feel free to chime in.  I am interested in a sport tourer.  I don't really have a desire for a 1,300 cc inline 4 that does 150mph.  Would a smaller cc sport bike work out fairly well?  The big sport tourers have nice fairings & a big windshield.  Regarding comfort, what else may separate the two?  I like the thought of the higher performance and the riding position as well, or at least I think.  Lingering back problems make the prospect of sitting on a cruiser that much more undesirable.  Anyway, feel free to elaborate.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #23 - 02/06/16 at 15:29:10

I rode Dave's 1100cc Honda last summer on a N.C. secondary road that turned into gravel , then turned into gravel rutted-uphill-down hill,washboard, tilted the wrong way on combination of the above , then dirt road.   No getting used to it first type of thing.

It was very well behaved in a very bad environment.    Wink

Its a little tall for Dave's inseams , try to buy it from him !

It also kept-up very well !!!  Roll Eyes

I like my Sportster 883 after I found a seat to fit my frame and pegs with ankle support , Bars to support a relaxed sitting position and a medium size shield.  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #24 - 02/06/16 at 16:19:12

MMRanch wrote on 02/06/16 at 15:29:10:
I like my Sportster 883 after I found a seat to fit my frame and pegs with ankle support , Bars to support a relaxed sitting position and a medium size shield.  Smiley

I thought you had a 1,200?

Best regards,

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #25 - 02/06/16 at 16:24:48

pg wrote on 02/06/16 at 11:21:11:
This is probably directed towards Dave; although, please feel free to chime in.  I am interested in a sport tourer.  I don't really have a desire for a 1,300 cc inline 4 that does 150mph.  Would a smaller cc sport bike work out fairly well?  The big sport tourers have nice fairings & a big windshield.  Regarding comfort, what else may separate the two?  I like the thought of the higher performance and the riding position as well, or at least I think.  Lingering back problems make the prospect of sitting on a cruiser that much more undesirable.  Anyway, feel free to elaborate.

Best regards,

Well in all honesty, yes a small cc sport bike works rather well Smiley
I ride my little 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 all over the states Smiley
How ever, if you decide to get a fuel injected, water cooled, 70-ish mpg small sport bike...... GET A BETTER SEAT! LOL  Grin
I manage with mine, even though I have a bad back.....
I actually lowered my ninja 300 down 1 1/2" in the back and 1" in the front, for the wife to ride if she likes, I have a 32" inseam and my knees are actually bent when I put my feet down.
It took me a bit to get used to the new riding position, and caused a little wrist and shoulder pain along with finger numbing....
I put 1" spacers on the bars and some cushions on the grips..... worked out well.

Trip_ready2_001.jpg

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 02/07/16 at 05:06:58

PG:

The ST1100 is a great bargain if you can find a good one.  A lot of the folks that bought them are the type that get a new bike fairly often, and evidently have enough money that they don't try to get top dollar for their used ones.  The ST1300 is a bit better for those of us with shorter legs - but they are far more expensive.  I paid $ 3,500 for my bike with 34,000 miles on it - and they can easily reach 200,000 miles with maintenance.  The Yamaha FJR is similar but is supposed to put a lot of heat on the rider - the Kawasaki Concours is nice but seems to be a bit more expensive.  The K models BMW or some of the R models make really nice touring bikes.  The ST appealed to me as it is very durable, parts are readily available and affordable - it is just a bit tall and heavy, and a 30 inch inseam or taller is a necessity.

I am sorry MMRanch didn't get a chance to ride the ST1100 on the Skyway.....that is where the bike really shines.  I am sure we will ride together again and he won't be forced to ride it on a rough gravel road.

I prefer a more conventional seating style where your legs are underneath you, rather than the cruiser style are out front.  Having your feet forward seems to put a lot more weight on your butt and makes it harder to ride for a long stretch.

The new Honda 700cc sport touring models are great bikes if you can afford them, and the Kawasaki Vulcan S could be a great bike as well.

Another really good bargain and a great sport/touring bike is the EX500 Kawasaki.  It has a relaxed seating position compared to a modern sport bike, and they have great motors....and they are very affordable.  You will have to sort though the abused bikes and look for one that has been cared for.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #27 - 02/07/16 at 15:53:01

Gents, thanks for your insight.  I'm pretty sure in what direction I need to start looking.  I'm thinking something  a parallel twin between 650 - 1k range would be just right.  

I looked up the top end of the 300 ninja on youtube.  115 mph, that little thing can move!

Best regards,

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #28 - 02/07/16 at 21:02:05

The weight, mpg and low maintenance schedule are what sold the 300 for me... well that and the price Smiley
You can get a used one fairly cheap, and you don't have to do anything to it if you don't want....
One other thing I did was to add a 15 tooth front gear sprocket... least I think it was 15.... it gave me a bit taller gearing (hardly noticeable) and my speedo is off about 3mph.
Good group of fellas all over the world ride them, just look up www.kawasakininja300.com
Mostly young folks, but still a good group... I think the forum leader is from Australia, not sure... but they all were posting before we got the 300 in the states.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #29 - 02/08/16 at 07:55:23

the old Ninja 500 (EX 500, they are one and the same, with the name change in I think 1993 or so) will give you 125-130 top end, and a bit lower RPM, and it's carburetted, if that makes any difference, but the 300 looks more up to date, the 500 was penned in the 80s, and was never updated much, so it looks like an older bike

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:22:49

General CategoryThe Cafe › Yamaha R6

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.