Send Topic Print
Jetting (Read 107 times)
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bergen County, New jersey
Jetting
01/31/16 at 15:05:49

Hey guys an gals, I've got an 06 s40 with the upswept MAC performance exhaust, which is more on the open side, what pilot should I start with? I've read all of the carb topics and I'm still lost. I had a 57.5 pilot and it ran alright, just hesitation on low throttle. I also have a 160 main, but from what I've read I think that is wrong. I'm at sea level btw. I'm lost and don't know what to do. Thank you in advance.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Re: Jetting
Reply #1 - 01/31/16 at 15:32:35

Where you located?
I've ran that muffler with a 52.5 pilot and a 152.5 main without any issues in Ny, stock intake..

IP Logged
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/31/16 at 16:32:04

I'm in Bergen county, New jersey. Is there something I must do with the needle? I've read of a white spacer or #4 washers. How many do I need, and do they go above or below the ring on the needle?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/31/16 at 16:44:04

A low throttle "surge", where the engine hesitates is most often the needle, the Pilot has very little effect on how the bike runs when you start to open the throttle.  Pilot jets over 52.5 are seldom needed....although there have been times that cone filters and open pipes have made it really hard to get the bike to make run properly....even with a lot of jetting changes.

You need to choose a pilot jet that provides a smooth idle when the screw is opened up between 1.5 - 2.0 turns.  If you need to open the screw more than 2.5 turns to get a steady idle - then you need a bigger pilot jet.  If you can turn the screw all the way in and the engine hasn't started to stumble at idle.....the pilot is too big.

Once you have a pilot jet chosen......then the main jet should be selected that provides smooth running at full throttle.

Then you work on adjusting the needle to provide smooth acceleration at throttle settings just off idle...to about 1/2 throttle.  Take out the white spacer and use 3 washers that are #4 machine screw size.  If the stumble continues....take out a washer so that you just have 2.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/31/16 at 16:45:58

So I guess I can send those size 60 pilot jets back.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 01/31/16 at 17:03:37

Redryder652 wrote on 01/31/16 at 16:45:58:
So I guess I can send those size 60 pilot jets back.

They make good drinking straws... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/31/16 at 17:06:07

Haha, that was good. So what is it I have to do? Stick more washers underneath the ring on the needle?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 02/01/16 at 02:53:38

No....there is a white spacer on "top" of the needle.  It pushes the needle down against a spring.  You remove the white spacer and install 3 steel washers that are sized for #4 machines screws......good hardware stores will have them (you most likely won't find them at Lowe's or similar Big Box hardware stores).  Start with 3 washers, and if you still have some surge take one washer out.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 02/01/16 at 17:55:23

I think mine came from Lowes.

A #4 washer is 0.032" in thickness. I think the stock spacer is around 1/8". Each #4 washer is the equivalent of 25% of the stock spacer. When you remove one washer (after replacing the spacer) you raise the needle about 0.032" which flows a little more fuel.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 02/01/16 at 19:04:28

I got it, just replaced jets today back to 152.5 and 52.5 and did the famous spacer mod. It all makes sense now, I didn't know there was a little spring in there pushing up on the needle. Haven't ridden it yet, I'm waiting for New air fuel mix screws. 2 in case I screw one up. Wink

IP Logged
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/05/16 at 18:11:51

I just put in a new plug, and this is about 20 minutes of riding after jetting with a 152.5 main and a 52.5 pilot with the white spacer mod. This is my plug.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:35:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jetting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.