Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Noises in the Night
01/30/16 at 18:34:34

Been watching the Daytona Rolex 24 running just up the road on cable all evening. Took the dog out for his after diner walk and could hear the engines off to the north, in the distance but clear in the cool air. It's a beautiful song in the night. Brought back a different life I led years ago, Watkins Glenn, Pocono, the Trenton Dog Leg, chasing dirt track racing, sleeping in the car or camping in the infield, hotdogs and beer. To the south New Smyrna Speedway is running, a 1/2 mile asphalt bowl. The rise and fall of the pack running a short track sounds like a animal growling back at IMSA cars at Daytona Speedway.
 God I love it! it makes my blood pump with goose bumps and always had since I climbed a tree outside the third turn at the Langhorn mile back in the sixties. Just had to throw this out, not many would understand.
 Back to the race Smiley

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Noises in the Night
Reply #1 - 01/30/16 at 22:00:50

Alright NORMAN B.  remember no tailgating on public roads , ssshee --- just drop back and have your speed-up when you FLASH around ...  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #2 - 01/31/16 at 03:09:01

Bob Tullius is Grand Marshal at Sebring this year:http://www.svra.com/about-us/

The SVRA event at Indy each year is fabulous. A dozen Offy roadsters in full song is something to hear, let alone see, especially for guys hooked on nostalgia like me! Cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXvCUnuLbwQ

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #3 - 01/31/16 at 11:39:31

Ed L. wrote on 01/30/16 at 18:34:34:
Been watching the Daytona Rolex 24 running just up the road on cable all evening. Took the dog out for his after diner walk and could hear the engines off to the north, in the distance but clear in the cool air. It's a beautiful song in the night. Brought back a different life I led years ago, Watkins Glenn, Pocono, the Trenton Dog Leg, chasing dirt track racing, sleeping in the car or camping in the infield, hotdogs and beer. To the south New Smyrna Speedway is running, a 1/2 mile asphalt bowl. The rise and fall of the pack running a short track sounds like a animal growling back at IMSA cars at Daytona Speedway.
 God I love it! it makes my blood pump with goose bumps and always had since I climbed a tree outside the third turn at the Langhorn mile back in the sixties. Just had to throw this out, not many would understand.
 Back to the race Smiley

Live too near an AF base.  Sometimes a C130 or a 'chopper going low over the hooch gets the adrenalin pumping...... BUT with the new 60"HD I'm looking forward to the Formula One season.....

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #4 - 02/01/16 at 08:50:12

as an Air Force brat, I know those sounds well, but never having served, they're comforting to me
I'm not surprised they might speed the ticker up in folks who've been in theater though

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 02/01/16 at 17:18:25

I live between the Air Force Special Operations Base (Hurlburt Field) and its bombing ranges.
Also there are a couple of "practice landings" about 1/2 mile west, that they use when they jump out and land in the water and swim ashore.
If it isn't the sound of the engines high above and guns going "boom, boom...bbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrtttttttt"
Then its the sounds of helicopters buzzing the trees and rattling windows carrying the guys back to base that just did their night training.
Believe it or not..... I rarely wake up all the way any longer, ....kind of a sleepy, yup.... its them again.
But if a dog barks or I hear a non-familiar vehicle engine, i'm wide awake.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #6 - 02/02/16 at 07:44:13

I'm like that, I can sleep with Iron Maiden playing in the room, (so long as it's not blasting) but touch the doorknob and I'm instantly awake unless I recognized your tread on the floor outside (those treading inside have been 'cleared by security'  Grin

I used to love it when Dad took me to watch night scrambles, those F4s taking off full tilt boogie were a site to see when the afterburners kicked in

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #7 - 02/03/16 at 13:25:50

On a still day I can hear the powerboats racing in the port river 12km from my home. The noise of those blown big blocks on full song is a joy forever.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #8 - 02/04/16 at 09:56:05

I live near enough to Texas Motor Speedway to hear the racers.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 02/04/16 at 10:39:24

Irwindale speedway is 5 minutes away.
1 mile oval.
When they run a NASCAR event the sustained roar is easily heard.
And occasionally they run midgets too.

WWW   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #10 - 02/04/16 at 19:26:29

Don't you mean 'little cars'? midget is not PC, and may be illegal in cali  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 19:27:04

General CategoryThe Cafe › Noises in the Night

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.