Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GLASSES! Update: Trivex, A/R, etc. (Read 83 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
GLASSES! Update: Trivex, A/R, etc.
01/29/16 at 19:04:24

I've been working on getting myself some new glasses for riding. I tried one of those "try before you buy" programs from bikershades.com.  I paid about $379 + expedited shipping just to try some of the frames. Unfortunately, I only got to try 9 frames, and I was doubtful whether I had found what I wanted. At least the money I paid goes toward paying for the glasses. It'll probably cost around that much for the glasses altogether. I'm getting the Xtractive Transitions and the freeform digital lenses.

I was thinking of whether I should invest in Trivex lenses or the A/R coatings, or various other coatings.

A/R coatings don't last forever.  Sad At least I'm getting the $39 Biker Armour frames.  Smiley I almost got some WileyX, but I wasn't quite happy with them.

http://www.bikershades.com/categories/prescription.html

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: GLASSES! Update: Trivex, A/R, etc.
Reply #1 - 01/29/16 at 19:44:09

If you are worried about bug impacts then get a set of safety glasses. Or you can get safety glass lenses put into normal frames.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #2 - 01/29/16 at 20:08:21

Ugggh!  Roll Eyes

I wear prescription glasses. My glasses just broke today, and I either have to use duct tape or an old pair. This is not a question of "buy $5 safety sun glasses and forget it."  I need something I can wear at work and not look too weird. No sense in carrying around two pairs of glasses. Motorcycling is tough enough without one more piece of gear. I have to have glasses that can withstand being stuffed into my ff helmet. Of course, there's no guarantee that motorcycle glasses will not fall apart either. Roll Eyes Trivex and polycarbonate ARE safety lenses. The frames I am buying are cheap and are not necessarily safety rated, but they're made for motorcycling. The WileyX glasses I considered are ANSI rated safety glasses.

I can't ride without Rx glasses! I've never tried contacts before, but isn't that chancy on bikes? Better to have the protection, right?

I kinda preferred wrap-around Rx bike glasses to the  weird lens behind plastic Zenni Optical stuff. Remember, this is something I have to wear all day long AFTER I get off the bike Shocked. I serve food at a restaurant. It's bad enough to have to be seen in motorcycle glasses. Huh But wearing weird safety glasses  Shocked.

On second thought, who knows-- maybe I would look good in weird safety glasses.  Roll Eyes Conversation starter maybe  Cool.

That emoticon is a decent descriptor of how I'd look in the sun, especially if I had gotten the WileyX's.

Cool

Cool sometimes,  but I wonder if it would be strange at other times.

I've never worn this type of frame before. I'm used to conventional metal frames. I'll get used to it. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 01/29/16 at 22:52:22

Prescription safety glasses look like normal glasses with thicker lenses and stronger frames. My set is a pair of progressive line bifocal lens. Mine have had bugs and rocks hit them and did not break.

Simply better stronger glasses.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 01/30/16 at 07:12:32

I am fortunate, my wife is an optical tech, and I get glass at cost.
I wear safety glasses too, and I need bifocals.
Depending on your prescription, they differ a lot (view wise)

For riding I have found titanium frames superior, they are very small and strong, and don't get smashed behind my ear with the helmet or shoved around when putting on/off.
However, they are very pricey to extremely pricey.
I have them coated with the stuff that darkens in sunlight ( forgot the name ). I have a helmet with a half visor (pull down) to protect them if I need to from bugs, rain, and hail, which I hit some yesterday at 50 plus miles an hour, talk about smack, my cheeks got a hundred bee stings in a few seconds  Shocked

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #5 - 01/30/16 at 10:54:34

Ha! Grin

The ones that I broke were titanium! Grin

Well, so much for that idea!

I've been considering getting a new helmet. I wear a large Vega Altura, and, for a long time I've had issues with it being a little more snug than I would like. I have another Altura the same size that I obtained used. It feels a little better, being broken in. by someone else. One of the first and biggest things I noticed was cheek biting.

Unfortunately, I've been taught that helmets are supposed to be "a little snug." Am I supposed to suffer, pulling my hair out and feeling discomfort every time I pull the thing off my head?

If I get a helmet that is comfortable, it might be too loose  Sad. The Altura is a prettty cheap helmet, right? There are ones much more quiet and comfortable? I can't even wear Scorpion helmets; my head is too round for that. I've found Fulmer's to be both comfortable and cheap.

I gather that HJC makes a helmet for glasses. Maybe I'll look into that.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 02/02/16 at 11:48:30

As far as anti reflection coatings go you only need them on the inside of the lenses. They put them on the outside to make the lenses more difficult for other people to see, making them more attractive.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #7 - 02/02/16 at 12:18:41

Hey cheapneb24, I happen to have a rather round head myself. I tried on 15 to 20 helmets before finding the G-max (G-max 78 I think, the one with the blinking light on the back of the helmet) which fits my round head pretty darn well.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #8 - 02/02/16 at 22:27:04

arteacher wrote on 02/02/16 at 11:48:30:
As far as anti reflection coatings go you only need them on the inside of the lenses. They put them on the outside to make the lenses more difficult for other people to see, making them more attractive.

Started to get only the Trivex with just the cheap double sided hard coat. Then I notified them to change it to front-side hard coat with A/R since I read that Trivex is hard enough not to require a backside hard coat. I read that backside coatings are particularly bad for reducing the material's strength. I paid more for this A/R to make things worse. I would hope that it is a front-side A/R to let the light through cleanly. My glasses are wrap around and fit very close against my face, so backside A/R is probably a little overrated for that application. Also, Trivex is less reflective than polycarbonate, so that makes the A/R even less of a necessity.

I hope I am not wasting my money. Undecided

I would debate trying some Trivex glasses without A/R for comparison and to see what I really need and can get away with.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #9 - 02/02/16 at 22:29:40

springman wrote on 02/02/16 at 12:18:41:
Hey cheapneb24, I happen to have a rather round head myself. I tried on 15 to 20 helmets before finding the G-max (G-max 78 I think, the one with the blinking light on the back of the helmet) which fits my round head pretty darn well.

Thanks for the info, I have in mind the HJC CL-17. They supposedly have a slot for glasses or something, and they are supposed to be fairly good for round heads. When I get around to it, and have a little more money, I may try some helmets on at a bike shop and see what fits.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #10 - 02/03/16 at 11:59:45

Cool. Let us know how that HJC fits.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:32:22

General CategoryThe Cafe › GLASSES! Update: Trivex, A/R, etc.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.