Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 18
Send Topic Print
August Event at Dave's - OH/KY/IND - August 24-28. (Read 2526 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
August Event at Dave's - OH/KY/IND - August 24-28.
01/29/16 at 11:01:55

Time to start up the forum thread for the gathering/ride/camping at my house for August.

I live in Northern Kentucky, just across the river from Cincinnati.  There is some great riding in this area - maybe not as many curves as the Dragon, or as big of hills as the Cherohala or Blueridge Parkway....but some really nice back roads that are hilly and curvy.  The routes are not yet established, however rides can include the horse farm area in KY, maybe an overnight trip to the wilderness areas like Daniel Boone National Forest or Natural Bridge or Carter Caves.  The Brown County areas in Indiana are also a possibility, and there are some nice rides in OH as well.  Forum member Sjaskow is an avid rider and may be willing to lead us around a bit.  Having a ride in this area might allow some of the folks who can't get to the TN, NC or TX rides a chance to ride with some Savage folks.

I have plenty of room for camping, and an outdoor shower for taking off the road grime.  If you don't want to pack a tent I have plenty of garage and porch space to set up a cot, and if it is really hot I can throw the window AC unit in the garage and keep it cool.  We have a pond that is well stocked with Catfish, and I really want someone to show me how to clean and cook them.

I have not yet established the days, and at this point it is open to suggestion.  I do have a lot of evening meetings the first weeks of every month - the 3rd Wednesday on the 17th of August, and after that meeting I don't have any other evenings that are committed.

Scan around on the following videos, and you can get an idea what the local roads are like.

This one has more straights and sweepers than most of our rural roads.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqS0u9QWMmg

This video is Route 10 and Route 22.....I ride these roads a lot as the Route 10 is only a mile from my house.  If I want an hour ride I take Route 10 down to Brooksville and turn around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9hd0rg2vi8

« Last Edit: 06/21/16 at 03:59:16 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: August Event at Dave's - OH/KY/IND
Reply #1 - 01/29/16 at 11:44:25

Show me a picture of where you sit to shoot your rifle.

Grin

I know I will be able to do that much, even if I have to make me up some really really wimpy rounds up so as to not bang up on my shoulder and chest.

Us old crip-up post surgical gimp types gotta ask these sorts of questions .....

Roll Eyes       MM is the one that knows how to clean a catfish, all I can do is try to catch me an itty bitty one.

MM, you can invite Jeb to come on up for the trip, just sos he could actually whup up on me riding some.   Best chance he is ever gonna get, you know.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 01/29/16 at 12:20:23

dave, what OF needs is a 4x4 post set in the ground that he can sit behind and put the rifle stock on.  otherwise even the air rifle will kick the sheet out of him let alone that anti tank catfish gun.   Wink

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/29/16 at 12:26:55

We just have a big old hayfield/pasture to shoot.....or possibly the woods if you prefer shade.  On my property 500 feet is about the longest shot you can make - if you want longer we will have to go to the neighbors farm.  I will use the tractor and loader to move a large picnic table wherever we need it, and I do have a 10'x10 canopy that can be put up to keep the sun off you.  The neighbor is a gun dealer, and he likely has some long range places to shoot (he has 10 times the acres that I do).

No Jed on this trip.  As much as I like Jed as a person - he was just too much of a loose cannon, and far too willing to ride over his head.  Jed trying to ride wheelies on the road in front of the Harley shop, and zooming up and down the public parking lots while we looked at maps was just a bit too much enthusiasm for me.   MM did his best to warn him - but Jed was not willing to listen and comply.  There is a group of young folks on sports bikes up here called the Assphalt Junkies.....and they ride like Jed....and they take frequent rides to the ER (mostly inside a big box on four wheels with the lights and sirens turned on).      

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 01/29/16 at 12:30:35

Versy,

They are telling me I have to grow up now, and act responsibly .......  ha !!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 01/29/16 at 12:54:20

Not you Oldfeller....you got a pretty good idea what you and your bike are capable of....Jed hadn't quite figured that out yet and come to realize that he is not indestructible.

I can just point you to the spot the Assphalt Junkies gather each Saturday morning....and you can chase them around for a while.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 01/29/16 at 13:07:00

How about I just try to shoot their rear tires out as they speed on by?

Remember, I got to "act responsibly" now and not hurty myself.  

Roll Eyes

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 01/29/16 at 13:18:49

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/29/16 at 13:07:00:
Roll Eyes

Most likely you won't be the first one to have taken shots.........the locals don't have a lot of love for them.

If you are still riding around on that worn out front tire - we might just have to do a "tirectomy" on your bike while you are up here!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 01/29/16 at 14:04:01

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/29/16 at 13:07:00:

Remember, I got to "act responsibly" now and not hurty myself.  

Roll Eyes

Now... now... we must responsible with the backstop, we don't want farmer John coming after us for a dead cow.

And a rickoshay will ruin our day.

Maybe you can borrow a tennis ball machine   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #9 - 01/29/16 at 14:31:14

DAVE: Thanks for the (Utube ) rides..
One question... What is that weird looking green stuff next to the roads ??? Shocked
You did get me all enthused.  Fired up "the Thumper" and did 54 miles on a couple of back roads this afternoon. Cool

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 01/29/16 at 15:36:45

It is a funny thing about that front tire -- it still has enough meat to pass inspection.

I've got a replacement front tire in the closet, and I will put it on when the existing tire gets below inspection limit (come inspection time).

I would likely bring a 7mm-08 carry gun and mebbe the long barrel bipod 30-06  instead of the 20mm anti-tank rifle  (it is too too noisy for civilized areas).  

Wink

Versy mentioned the .22 nitro piston air rifle we that both bought a few years back -- that sucker gets heavier to hold every durn year you know and it has never been still while it is firing, either.

It will punch a 15.8 grain .22 caliber pellet clear through a squirrel, though,  even a bit slaunch-wise it will bore a hole right on through him.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #11 - 01/29/16 at 19:42:30

Small world : Versy mentioned the .22 nitro piston air rifle we that both bought a few years back

I bought a Crossman-Shockwave 22cal Nitro Piston this year .   It is a lot more smooth shooting that the Ruger Air-Magnum 22cal. I got last year.  The Ruger is to much motion going on before the pellet leaves the barrel.  I'll bring my favorite air pistol the rifle might not fit in my saddle bags.  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #12 - 01/30/16 at 06:51:14

I'd like to do this ride if I can make it work and I won't slow you guys down too much
also some of you avid rifle guys might learn me how to shoot at longer ranges (my marksmanship leaves some to be desired)
we'll see what time and finances dictate
I wonder if I'm faster or slower around a curve on the scooter?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #13 - 01/30/16 at 17:21:34

Art Webb wrote on 01/30/16 at 06:51:14:
I wonder if I'm faster or slower around a curve on the scooter?  Roll Eyes

What's the top end of that scooter?  I bet it's faster than my S40.....    Undecided

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #14 - 01/30/16 at 21:50:37

Art !  

Ride your SuperScoot to Lynchburg and I'll put ya up for the night then we'll leave out the next morning ,after breakfast for Dave's place  .   Wink

If you can just get a half-way over night spot between your house and mine ? ...
Huh ,  Roll Eyes ,  Undecided ,  Shocked ,
The Natchez trace has free camping at three spots (each end and middle), check out the middle campground --- its about a short days ride from my house.  Smiley

Art ... Does Kentucky have real curves ???  Cheesy
Your a Dragon Slayer NOW !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 18
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 11:05:39

General CategoryThe Cafe › August Event at Dave's - OH/KY/IND - August 24-28.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.