Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Lowest RPM for cruising? (Read 405 times)
MeeLee
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Lowest RPM for cruising?
Reply #15 - 02/08/16 at 09:42:46

Thanks for the replies so far.
The S40 seems to be cruising highwayspeeds at about 5k rpm,
A Honda CB300F does the same, at about 9k rpm.
Almost 1/2 the cc, at 2x the rpm...

I've looked at most of the bikes suggested, which are well over 400lbs (some over 500lbs), and not an option.

For me, it was a second hand S40 (~$2.5k) vs a CB300F ~$6k new.

My rebel runs great around town, so something that can go a bit faster is what I'm looking for.
I still have time.
BMW is bringing out a G310r by Q3 of 2016,
Hopefully Hyosung will get their gt300s for sale by then,
I'll wait a bit.. if I can  Grin

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #16 - 02/08/16 at 09:54:11

Ninja 500 (EX500) 370lb
not over 400
RPM at 70, 6k
redline 9k  6k is 'cruiseing'

S40 380 IIRC
RPM at 60 4k
redline (not achievable in top gear) 6.8k 4k is cruising

difference, S40 is all in at 80-85, and running it that fast all the time will wear it out
running the EX500 at 80-85 is still cruising
love the S40, it's a great bike
it's not a great interstate bike
do what you like, you will anyway, but you're going to beat the poor thing to death in short order

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #17 - 02/08/16 at 13:23:59

MeeLee wrote on 02/08/16 at 09:42:46:
Thanks for the replies so far.
The S40 seems to be cruising highwayspeeds at about 5k rpm,
A Honda CB300F does the same, at about 9k rpm.
Almost 1/2 the cc, at 2x the rpm...

I've looked at most of the bikes suggested, which are well over 400lbs (some over 500lbs), and not an option.

I'm curious if you looked at my suggestion.  The Hyosung GV250 weighs around 340 lbs stock.  Redline is 12k RPM and you can easily cruise at 75 at around 6k RPM.  Fifth gear is very tall and very usable.  The compression ratio is either 10.3:1 or 11.0:1 depending on whether the model you chose is FI or not.  It provides plenty of power down low.  If the S40 can beat if off the line it's not by much.  It will do 100mph every day and you don't need a tail wind to get there if you make the few minor mods I mentioned earlier.  Fuel efficiency is way better.  65-85 mpg with a 3.7 gallon tank.  I used to get close to 300 miles per tank on mine.  The suspension is top notch.  This is a bike designed for around town, freeway, and long trips are very comfortable as well.  If one had been available in my area in my price range around the time I got the S40 I would be riding that instead.  Price? You're going to pay a little more for a used Hyosung GV250 but that's to be expected.  It's a modern bike.  The one thing that the S40 takes the win for is longevity.  The 650 cc single will last forever if well maintained and the basic necessities are met (cam chain tensioner, etc.).  I'm not trying to sell you a bike, I'm just trying to help you find the bike that's going to fit your needs.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 02/08/16 at 13:53:11

I don't know where MeeLee lives - but I most likely would not buy a Hyosung anything.....as there is nowhere in this area to get parts for one.  And if I am riding through several states - where am I going to get a part if I need something?  (Sort of the same reason that I haven't bought a BMW yet...Suzuki/Yamaha/Honda parts are so much easier to get).

I did a dealer search for the Cincinnati area, and the closest Hyosung dealer is 77 miles away.....the next closest is nearly 300 miles up along the northern Ohio border!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #19 - 02/08/16 at 13:56:27

A lot of the parts for the GV250 are a direct match for Suzuki parts. Remember, Hyosung was the key manufacturing partner for Suzuki for a very long time. I never had a problem.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #20 - 02/08/16 at 17:22:53

The Savage (S40) will cruise the slab up to around 75 mph (indicated) with stock gearing nice and smooth. With stock gearing, that long stroked engine starts to hate you when the needle approaches 80, though. I've taken her on the slab before. No crazy long road trips, though.

From what I've gathered, the fastest speed limit in the country is 75, and the Savage can do that and hold it easily. All you've got to worry about is the people who go faster than the posted speed limit (generally everyone, depending... Grin).

Considering the data I've reviewed (rather than actual experience Tongue), I would recommend at least a 130/90-15 or 140/90-15 as opposed to the stock 140/80-15, for even the 130/90 offers taller effective gearing than the 140/80. Of course, that depends on whether you want to use tire size or sprockets to affect gearing. Some say the 130/90 handles a little better than the wider/taller 140/90.130/90 is the also the standard size for that rim-- NOT 140/80 or 140/90. Of course, you could stick with 140/80 and use the 25t sprocket, provided that you find a 140/80 in a brand that you like.  Roll Eyes

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #21 - 02/08/16 at 18:11:44

I hate to even stir this pot but I will throw my 2 cents in.  I have ridden many many bikes over the years and I have to say one of the bikes that ranks right up there for being a great all around bike, and by that I mean scoot around town or blast up the freeway is the Suzuki SV650.  They are light, handle great, have more torque than you know what to do with, can scoot through town or shoot up the freeway as long as you have gas and don't have to stop and pee.  They are about $2000 on up for a good used one.  The only reason I don't have one in my garage for my wife to ride is at 5-4' she could touch the ground but just lacked the confidence to go for it.  She just loves her S-40 so much.

I was so bummed when they changed to the gladius and now discontinued the line all together.  But wait there is hope!  2017 the SV650 is coming back!!!!

Sorry just kind of like that bike along with the 3 S-40 powered rigs sitting in the garage.   Roll Eyes

WWW   IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #22 - 02/08/16 at 18:23:54

Guys, he already has experience running a Rebel on the slab. He knows what he's getting into.  Wink

I don't think this guy is looking for the "ideal Interstate bike" is he? He's just looking for something like a Rebel with a little more pep for the highway.

The question he should really ask himself is this: Do I really want something in the league of the Honda Rebel, but with a bigger, fuel sucking engine? If yes, then fine.

I have no experience with alternate gearings. With that said, remember that first gear will become taller and harder to deal with if you gear up. Also, our little thumper has a sweet spot. Undecided Go too low, and despite her long stroke, she'll feel luggy, jerky, and vibratory. Sad Too high, and it feels inefficient. She likes to rev, but she doesn't Roll Eyes Sad. You have to get her just right. I understand completely your concern about running around 45 mph with alternate gearings. I've had that same concern: whether she'll be in the  sweet spot in that crucial little speed. Ya gotta have a gear for every kind of condition.  Cool You need a gear for pulling out and low speed stuff, a gear for 25 mph town driving, a gear for 35 mph, a gear for 45 mph, one for 55-65, and a top Interstate (Autobahn if you're German Tongue) gear. Unfortunately, our Savage doesn't have 6 well spaced gears.  Roll Eyes At best it has 5 weird gears Cheesy.

Check http://www.gearingcommander.com/ for the 5 speed LS650 data. Her peak torque is around 3500 rpm, and, depending on tuning, this practical power curve goes up to around 4500 (or from 3000 to 5000 if you're optimistic and all-inclusive). Now, in the lower gears (or lower loads), as you may know, you wont need to cruise at 3500 in many cases since that's just overkill, but 3000 is a good number for moderate speed low load cruising.

Interpreted: 3500-5000 rpm for highway. 3000-4000 for backroads and towns. First and second gear can handle even lower rpms, however. The website indicates that 25 mph in 2nd is around 3k. This is overkill for lazy town riding, so taller gearing may actually help here. There is a huge jump between 2nd and 3rd gear. @ 25, 2nd is a little too much, and 3rd seems luggy Sad. 2nd is very relaxed at 20 (indicated), though.

This is a combination of personal experience and studying Gearing Commander Cool. it also follows the experience of others here. If anyone has any comments, you're welcome. Huh

In addition, I have found that, in my experience, downshifting to 4th gear at highway speeds is not very helpful. It pulls great in top gear around 55+

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #23 - 02/08/16 at 18:42:29

Alot of people here like the SV650. I have no experience with it. Strangely, we can go over all the logical pros and cons about something, but sometimes people like the craziest things, so there is no "best" bike that fits every single person. Maybe this person would rather have a Savage than a Hyosung. Undecided Maybe not Undecided. It's his choice.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #24 - 02/09/16 at 01:32:47

cheapnewb24 wrote on 02/08/16 at 18:23:54:
Guys, he already has experience running a Rebel on the slab. He knows what he's getting into.  Wink

I don't think this guy is looking for the "ideal Interstate bike" is he? He's just looking for something like a Rebel with a little more pep for the highway.

The fact that he's been running a Rebel on the freeway and is now looking at the S40 doesn't tell us anything other than he has a Rebel and he's maxed it out up there and found it insufficient.  The fact that he's been looking at the S40 tell us that he's looking for something more like an S40 than a Rebel. He's also made it clear that he doesn't want it to run out of breath at his ideal speed and that weight is a concern.  This is why I recommended the bike I recommended.  It fits everything he's mentioned without the $1000 worth of mods that would be needed to give the S40 the legs to do what he wants.  I don't need the gearing commander to tell me that. I've owned both and have the experience to give the GV250 the nod.  I was simply offering a suggestion.  It's ultimately up to him to decide what to do.  I might also mention that all your numbers (and emoticons) are most likely not going to do anything to help in that decision.  My 2¢    

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #25 - 02/09/16 at 08:51:17

I have a local Hyosung dealer. They are also a Suzuki dealer (amongst other things) Those Hyosung bikes seem attractive for the price. I've looked at them in person (not sure about the exact model, though) Their 250's seem nice. You can just about buy one new for the price of many used bikes. I think I sat on one of their 250 cruisers (maybe the same bike) as well as one of their standards or sports. They seem big and comfy for a 250 (fitwise) with good ergonomics, but my memory is a little fuzzy, so don't hold me on that one.

IP Logged
sw1991
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 03/10/16 at 00:30:07

My bike doesn't like being in 5th gear below 45 mph at the lowest. I'll usually keep it in 4th until I hit 45-50. Below that i just keep
It in 4th for the power. Probably isn't using much more gas, and I don't get a good pull until I'm at 50 in 5th.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #27 - 03/10/16 at 01:23:19

sw1991 wrote on 03/10/16 at 00:30:07:
My bike doesn't like being in 5th gear below 45 mph at the lowest. I'll usually keep it in 4th until I hit 45-50. Below that i just keep
It in 4th for the power. Probably isn't using much more gas, and I don't get a good pull until I'm at 50 in 5th.

This is kind of an old thread and I'm not sure if it really accomplished anything, but I'll mention that I'm just shifting into 4th at around 50 mph...shifting into 5th around 65 mph. You don't want to lug this motor so don't be afraid to get everything you can out of each gear.  I do have a larger diameter Shinko 230 140/90 so it's easier on the rpms for me. Stock Id run up to around 45 in 3rd, up to around 60 in 4th, and 5th was good at 60+ .  Give that a try and see how she does for you.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #28 - 03/10/16 at 13:38:05

chzeckmate, you ride the snot outta that thing, don't you?!?  Cheesy

I have a 30 mph road right outside the neighborhood. There are usually cops patrolling because...well, it's 30 mph! My bike has no problem cruising in 3rd gear at that speed. I couldn't tell you when I shift into 4th but 5th at around 40-45 is very comfortable. For power (at that speed) I'd downshift to 4th though.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #29 - 03/11/16 at 00:33:45

The S40's happy place is between 3200 and 4400 rpm.  For me, with my new larger diameter tires, when I shift out of 2nd gear at around 4000 rpm I'm right at 37 mph.  I'll run up to 4200 rpm in 3rd and I'm right at 50 mph.  Same thing with fourth...run it up to 4200 and I'm around 68.  fifth rarely gets used but I've run it up to 90 mph a couple of times and I don't remember what the tach said, but it wasn't high enough to cause me any concern.  Keep in mind these speeds are indicated which means I'm actually going faster than this because of the bigger tires.  I wouldn't say I ride the snot out of it.  These rpms and speeds are perfectly suitable for the engine design.  As for your stretch of 30 mph road I would hum along nicely at 30 mph in second gear at a very chill 3500rpm and LEO would just have to watch and wish they were on two wheels.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:38:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lowest RPM for cruising?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.