Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Interstate speed improvements? (Read 475 times)
MeeLee
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Interstate speed improvements?
Reply #30 - 01/29/16 at 21:27:52

Serowbot wrote on 01/29/16 at 16:10:19:
MeeLee wrote on 01/29/16 at 14:36:50:
..., but about the only thing I'll be able to afford this year  Embarrassed

How you gonna' afford the $1,000 in mods you are talkin' about?...

I say,.. just get it, and ride it...  the difference between 65mph and 75mph, is 10 or 15 minutes per fill-up...
So,.. just leave 10 minutes earlier... Grin

I don't know where you get the $1000 estimate, but if you read my posts, you'd know I was looking for cheap and affordable mods.
Opening up the port costs me the price of a dremel set of diamond drills and discs, which is about $12, since I already own a $25 dremel.
I don't know how much a higher compression piston will cost me though, but it shouldn't be more than a hundred bucks.

Concerning the 25t pulley,
Any reason you can't start out with a pulley like this, and just machine an adapter for it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Hot-Bodies-Pulley-25T-108632-NIB-/290892651307?ha...

« Last Edit: 01/29/16 at 22:33:04 by MeeLee »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #31 - 01/29/16 at 22:48:40

piston set $130
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wiseco-Piston-95-00-4597M09500-for-Suzuki-/3913106342...

bore job $80
head gasket $40
more gaskets $20

performance carb kit $429
cam $299

$1000

and you'll need a new muffler $100-300
new pair of gloves to get a good grip   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #32 - 01/29/16 at 23:09:01

If you think you can spend 5 minutes with a dremel tool and throw in a new piston and get a ton of extra HP, and someone will build you a custom pulley for $30, then you will run 85mph all day it' time to PUT THE X BOX DOWN AND COME BACK TO REALITY!  
Get the bike FIRST, and RIDE IT in the REAL world. Do you live somewhere there is no speed limit or other traffic? If you think you can and should ride real fast all the time, get a bike that's made to do so. You WILL be disappointed with a Savage quickly then start posting what a hunk of junk it is.
I'm not picking on you, just trying to give you some frank advise.

And add to Versy's list A TON OF LABOR! Ether all yours, or double his total to pay someone else.

IP Logged
MeeLee
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 01/29/16 at 23:27:24

badwolf wrote on 01/29/16 at 23:09:01:
If you think you can spend 5 minutes with a dremel tool and throw in a new piston and get a ton of extra HP, and someone will build you a custom pulley for $30, then you will run 85mph all day it' time to PUT THE X BOX DOWN AND COME BACK TO REALITY!  
Get the bike FIRST, and RIDE IT in the REAL world. Do you live somewhere there is no speed limit or other traffic? If you think you can and should ride real fast all the time, get a bike that's made to do so. You WILL be disappointed with a Savage quickly then start posting what a hunk of junk it is.
I'm not picking on you, just trying to give you some frank advise.

And add to Versy's list A TON OF LABOR! Ether all yours, or double his total to pay someone else.

Exhaust port mod is only a few hours. I'd love to do, and familiar with the job.
The S40 is only a hair under what I need; and with mods can do what I want.
If you read my posts, you'll know I currently do it with a Rebel 250. It has 16BHP and 12LBFT of torque.
And it goes 85MPH on a good moment in time, 75MPH on a bad...

The Torque and HP specs show that the S40 is more than capable to ride at those speeds.
It's just the vibration that a lot of people mention, at higher speeds, that I want to do something about; which a 25t pulley does move those vibrations to a higher speed range, mostly outside of what I need.

I don't care if I don't have a lot of surpassing power.
I have absolutely none on the Rebel 250 at 80MPH.
I'm sure I have some on the S40.
And some is what I need.
If it can do 90MPH, I'm satisfied.
I'd never go beyond 90MPH.
And I never keep 90MPH either.

I doubt I will be disappointed, unless the vibrations are out of this world.
Then, AFTER buying it, I might look into a rear pulley modification, to decrease the revs even further.

33BHP is good enough to go 90MPH. With some tuning, I can see the S40 doing 95MPH with ease.

But for the low budget I have... 90MPH is good enough..

Btw, the exhaust doesn't need changing, unless you want to lower weight. It's pretty freeflow if you ask me.
If not, I'll drill out the back end.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 01/30/16 at 03:41:46

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/29/16 at 17:06:30:
Dave, I flunked machine shop, I don't know the answer, but,
Being above center or below may matter.
And relief, just under the cutting edge.
Are you using inserts or carbide on a carrier that you sharpen on a diamond encrusted wheel or just tool steel?

And, looking at that makes me think it's the cutter vibrating.

Nope.....it I tried all different cutter angles, speeds, etc.  And the pattern always remained even if cutting PVC pipe.  The motor must have been wired incorrectly, and it was somehow out of phase internally and vibrated way too much.  Even with the belt removed and just the motor running the handles on the lathe vibrated badly.

Now that the motor is rewired....it cuts great!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #35 - 01/30/16 at 07:27:11

MeeLee wrote on 01/29/16 at 23:27:24:
Btw, the exhaust doesn't need changing, unless you want to lower weight. It's pretty freeflow if you ask me.
If not, I'll drill out the back end.

Given the sound difference between stock and a Dyna, the stock exhaust is restrictive. Drilling holes in the back of the muffler wouldn't necessarily improve it's performance.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #36 - 01/30/16 at 08:15:20

You are really to focused on the exhaust port......and perhaps on the HP and torque curves.

The ring in the exhaust port measures 34mm in diameter.  The exhaust header has a 2" diameter chrome outer pipe - but inside that there is an inner pipe that is much smaller.  That inner pipe has a bit of a cone at the cylinder end, and the cone has a crimp in it that appears like it might allow the exhaust pulses to pass between the inner/outer pipe.  That cone is only 30mm in diameter, and the inner pipe then epxands to 34mm for the entire length of the pipe.  Therefore.....the entire header is the same size as that ring you are so intent on removing.  As I have said earlier....the little ring is not going to do much of anything on a stock bike, and cruising at 80 mph is just not what the Savage is made to do,

My bike has a lot of engine improvements and makes a lot more power than a stock engine, and I have the double Kawasaki pulley change.....and I do believe my bike could cruise at 80 mph - however my Ninja 250 is completely stock and does it better.  The Ninja is supposed to be around 30 HP - but the 9,000 rpm at 80 mph works just fine on the little bike....as it is still 5,000 rpm below the redline. On the Savage you are going to be riding only about 1,000 rpm below the redline at 80 mph.

What you really need for the way you want to ride is a 400 - 500cc twin.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #37 - 01/30/16 at 08:41:21

That cone was put there to block reflected pulses.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #38 - 01/30/16 at 11:04:48

I also did the 454 mod it cost me around 300 I think.

Now after this mod cruising at 65-70 you will see a decrease in rpm's which was my goal. If the speedo is correct it actually lowered my max speed in 5th gear I think to 85.

Do not know if speedo reading correct bough from the gearing change. And Dave you will need multiple carbite bits I think the guy who did mine told me he went threw 5

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #39 - 01/30/16 at 16:06:12

MeeLee, In all seriousness, where do you live that you can commute at 80-85-90mph? And what is your hang-up with the 400 pound thing? Is it a local regulation, or insurance thing where you live?  
Your goals are do-able BUT, not cheap quick, or easy. The drag racers refer to ''cubic dollars''. Speed = money period! The question is NOT ''How fast do you WANT to go?''. The question IS ''How fast can you AFFORD to go?''  
Every run down the strip in a top fueler, or funny car costs THOUSANDS!!! A top level nascar team costs about 24 MILLION a year.  
Buy your Savage if you like it, ride it, change what you can or want to as you can afford to, but there is no ''magic pill or mod'' that will turn the bike into something it was never designed to be overnight.  
 Your bike will be what we refer to as a ''ongoing project''. But don't feel alone, mine is too, along with ALOT of people here.
Good luck!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #40 - 01/30/16 at 16:32:47

You will have some passing power, that will decline sharply after about 60 mph, you will want to be in third before attempting passing on two lane blacktop. The stock bike will probably get to eighty seven or ninety indicated mph. I don't know how true the speedos are at that speed even with the 140/90 tyre.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #41 - 01/30/16 at 17:19:20

The s40 is a fine motorcycle; although, it is not intended for the interstate.  If you want something to meet your expectations you are going to have to find something BIGGER.  

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #42 - 01/30/16 at 19:20:51

pg wrote on 01/30/16 at 17:19:20:
The s40 is a fine motorcycle; although, it is not intended for the interstate.  If you want something to meet your expectations you are going to have to find something BIGGER....

Other people, other opinions.  I was looking at getting a 250 when I saw the Savage -- a 652cc single just 50 pounds heavier than the 250s.  Biggest bike I ever had.  Took it from L.A. to OKC and back. On the Interstates I did 1,070 miles in 36 hours, not an Iron Butt, but pretty good.

Had a 21" suitcase, stuff in the saddlebags, tarp and bedroll.  As I said, at 65-70 mph the Savage was just fine.   For Me.  I am now camping on the Vespa, quarter size.  62 mph on the Interstates, slowing for winds and uphills, same as the Semis.

You can either upsize your bike, or you can downsize your expectations.

WWW   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #43 - 01/30/16 at 22:21:06

MeeLee wrote on 01/29/16 at 23:27:24:
33BHP is good enough to go 90MPH. With some tuning, I can see the S40 doing 95MPH with ease.

But for the low budget I have... 90MPH is good enough..

Undecided

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #44 - 02/01/16 at 09:59:56

A Savage in good tune will run 90MOH bone freaking stock, mine would go 95 when I first got it
If I leaned down and put my feet on the rear pegs
as for vibration, like the Rebel it becomes a hum at the high end, not a paint shaker
It's really not that bad
But it is NEVER going to be comfortable running 85-90 all day long without significant work
if you want a lower end bike that will, get on CL and find a used Ninja 500 in good shape
My 2007 was in near factory condition due to a rider that got scared or bored quickly after buying it, cost right at $2k, (more miles would have made it cheaper, but it was literally cherry beyond needing a carb cleaning) and would run 100 MPH smooth as glass
only reason I swapped it is a case of 'old man knees'
if not for that I'd have it still

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 19:33:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Interstate speed improvements?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.