Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Interstate speed improvements? (Read 475 times)
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Re: Interstate speed improvements?
Reply #15 - 01/28/16 at 18:59:55

5 hp is not possible without changing hard parts.  You might be able to gain 2 hp with higher flow muff/intake/jets.  When running at 80+ mph the motor sounds like it's going to fly apart but it won't.  If it bothers you, use a pair of earplugs or headphones and ride on.  The vibrations aren't bad at all IMO.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #16 - 01/28/16 at 19:00:44

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #17 - 01/28/16 at 19:47:17

This sort of discussion makes me wonder if Dave couldn't create a cottage industry for modified Kawasaki front pulleys, just as Verslagen did with his tensioners. I do note that the front pulley mod requires very good tooling when trimming the width down and I am willing to bet that most forum members don't have the skills, the lathe and the tooling to do it. There are times when I look for sixth gear.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
MeeLee
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 01/28/16 at 19:57:41

Thanks, but I was referring to pictures how it looks on the bike.

It would be awesome if like the sprocket guys, we have pulley guys making custom pulleys.

Why aren't they made out of aluminum?
I'd suppose even an aluminum front pulley would outlast an aluminum sprocket, due to the softer material used for the belt compared to a chain drive.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #19 - 01/28/16 at 20:53:28

jcstokes wrote on 01/28/16 at 19:47:17:
This sort of discussion makes me wonder if Dave couldn't create a cottage industry for modified Kawasaki front pulleys, just as Verslagen did with his tensioners. I do note that the front pulley mod requires very good tooling when trimming the width down and I am willing to bet that most forum members don't have the skills, the lathe and the tooling to do it. There are times when I look for sixth gear.

exactly precisely yes
the ONLY thing that kept me from trying the Kaw pulley was the fear that I'd buy the thing, and the machinist I used would screw it up
no way I'd try to do it even if I had a lathe, which I don't, and I highly doubt more than 1% of S40 riders do, either
I'd even have been willing to buy the pulley up front so Dave wouldn't of had to be out of pocket for the part

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 01/28/16 at 20:54:26

MeeLee wrote on 01/28/16 at 19:57:41:
I'd suppose even an aluminum front pulley would outlast an aluminum sprocket, due to the softer material used for the belt compared to a chain drive.

wouldn't last five minutes against the shaft splines.

WWW   IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #21 - 01/28/16 at 21:29:17

If you are serious, here you go...  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-EN450A-EN-450-A-454LTD-Front-Drive-Pulley-19...

It's cheap enough, but you need someone to machine it for you, $100 at least.   ( unless you have some good dirt on them )

IP Logged
MeeLee
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 01/28/16 at 23:42:31

verslagen1 wrote on 01/28/16 at 20:54:26:
MeeLee wrote on 01/28/16 at 19:57:41:

wouldn't last five minutes against the shaft splines.

===========

I was thinking about that...

I hear the latest Aluminum alloys are pretty tough, like the ones used in airplanes and sprockets...
If the sprocket has 2 mounting screws, the seating might be even tougher.

How about anodized aluminum, with an outward layer of hard steel or chromium or something?

Or, how about an aluminum pulley with a patterned steel shaft inserted (pressed in hydraulically)?

Just a few examples of possible solutions..

Also I would pay up front to have mine made. If it's excellent quality, $50 is a good price. Perhaps $30 if it's being mass produced.
More profit could be made if they're sold with adapters for the Kawasaki bike as well....

Do they make a 24t, or only 25t?

« Last Edit: 01/29/16 at 01:41:57 by MeeLee »  
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 01/29/16 at 03:06:01

jcstokes wrote on 01/28/16 at 19:47:17:

Well I am slowly working on it.  The Kawasaki Ninja engine I took apart has transmission shafts with the same size and spline....so I can use those shafts to make mandrels to hold the pulley for machining.  I am a lathe NOOB, and I have never been able to make nice clean cuts on the lathe.  Even when cutting soft PVC or brass it would leave a funny pattern on everything I cut.  No matter how I sharpened the cutting bits, what speed or material I was cutting....the pattern showed up.  If I changed the rpm or the cutting speed - the only thing that changed was the shape of the pattern...it looked like "Tweed" or "Herringbone"  I first thought maybe the shaft bearing where worn out - but they felt fine and new ones would be over $ 600!  I started to suspect something was wrong with the motor, as it was very loud even when disconnected from the lathe....and once you cut the power to the motor it coasted very smoothly to a stop.  I took it to a motor shop and he replaced the bearings and a few parts, and the motor was a bit less noisy and the pattern got smaller.  The motor was a Baldor - but I am sure it was not the original motor, and the Forward/Reverse switch was not the original (I suspect it was a 3 phase motor originally).  I started looking at the wiring.....I couldn't really make sense of what they did, so I used the diagram on the switch and the motor and started from scratch - and I do believe that fixed it and it finally works properly.  You can see the cuts on the left side that were made before the work on the motor....and the right side is a cut I made after changing the wiring.

I have never cut really hard metal on my lathe - and I likely will need to get some carbide cutters to make this work.  (Any lathe experts are welcome to come over and give me a lesson).

I would not plan on me getting this service up and running for a little while.

« Last Edit: 01/29/16 at 04:23:28 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MeeLee
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 01/29/16 at 13:58:32

That's why I thought Aluminium was a much better choice.
Usually harder metals need higher rotation, and a slower feed, and more cooling.
A finishing touch could be done with sandpaper.

It's been over 15 years since I used cnc machinery.
$600 sounds a bit too steep for me, especially if the 25t can be bought online a lot cheaper.
I'm sure there is a way to simplify it all. The pulley itself isn't hard to make, especially not if it's steel or aluminum.

But getting the ribs for the belt and shaft in place are a lot harder to manufacture.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 01/29/16 at 14:22:11

MeeLee wrote on 01/29/16 at 13:58:32:
$600 sounds a bit too steep for me, especially if the 25t can be bought online a lot cheaper.

My $ 600 estimate is if you were to also buy the rear pulley, and modify the Kawasaki pulley to fit the Suzuki hub, and pay someone to machine your sprocket hub as well......the cost to do both pulleys.

So....what year is your bike?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MeeLee
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 01/29/16 at 14:36:50

I'm in the process of buying a 2007 s40, white.
Has 20k miles on it, but about the only thing I'll be able to afford this year  Embarrassed

Someone mentioned something about swapping out the piston for better compression and performance. Anyone got any hard numbers on hp/torque gains, as well as cost of exchanging one?
Is it hot-swappable with the current piston, or does it go together with a cylinder as well?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #27 - 01/29/16 at 16:10:19

MeeLee wrote on 01/29/16 at 14:36:50:
..., but about the only thing I'll be able to afford this year  Embarrassed

How you gonna' afford the $1,000 in mods you are talkin' about?...

I say,.. just get it, and ride it...  the difference between 65mph and 75mph, is 10 or 15 minutes per fill-up...
So,.. just leave 10 minutes earlier... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #28 - 01/29/16 at 17:06:30

Dave, I flunked machine shop, I don't know the answer, but,
Being above center or below may matter.
And relief, just under the cutting edge.
Are you using inserts or carbide on a carrier that you sharpen on a diamond encrusted wheel or just tool steel?

And, looking at that makes me think it's the cutter vibrating.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #29 - 01/29/16 at 17:19:54

The metal on those pulleys is HAAAAAARRRD!...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 19:44:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Interstate speed improvements?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.