Send Topic Print
Wiring question (Read 104 times)
savagegreenhorn7
YaBB Newbies

Waka waka!

Oakland, CA
Wiring question
01/27/16 at 23:19:36

Hey yall, so I've been working on totally customizing my savage and it's been going pretty well, I however feel a bit stumped with the wiring. I recently removed the gas tank and with it the stock speedo. I purchased a aftermarket speedo with turn light indicator, neutral indicator, brights indicator, and an oil indicator. I know how to splice wires but I just don't know which wires to attach to which! My new speedo has ten different colored wires... the stock speedo only had seven... I'm so confused, and yes I am a beginner to this kind of stuff and I am no electrician. Is there a way to determine which wire goes where? Undecided
 I'd much appreciate any help I can get! Thanks!  Cheesy

20160127_213231.jpg

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
  IP Logged
savagegreenhorn7
YaBB Newbies

Waka waka!

Oakland, CA
Re: Wiring question
Reply #1 - 01/27/16 at 23:21:16

This is what I'm needing to splice into

20160118_234256_001.jpg

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 01/28/16 at 03:26:58

I have a bit of experience with wire splicing on the Savage, and it can be a bit intimidating!  I lost a little sleep for a few nights on this project - but in the end it turned out just fine.

Here is a link to the wiring diagrams in the Technical Section of this forum.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1294779818

The wiring harness in the Savage has some basic rules.  Red is positive current prior to the key switch.  Orange is the positive current after the key switch.  A white stripe on the wire indicates that it has passed through a switch.  Black wires are mostly ground wires - with the exception of the positive power wire to the front running lights located in the turn signal housings.

You will mostly be concerned with the wires located at the top left corner of the diagrams....those are the wires connected to the dash panel and indicator lights.

You may have a few extra wires on the new speedo....as they may have some lights that you won't be using.  Some bikes have an oil pressure warning light, a low fuel light, a temperature light.....and all you will be using is the neutral light, the high beam light, the turn signal lights.....and the bulbs illuminate the speedo at night.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/28/16 at 04:06:21

I just copied your photo and looked.  You have ten wires, and they most likely are:  2 for the lights in the gauge face, 2 for the blue high beam indicator, 2 for the green neutral light, 2 for the red oil light, and 2 for the turn signal light.  (You don't have an oil light or switch....so you don't have anything to hook up....so that eliminates 2 wires and gets you down to eight).

You need to pay attention to polarity - as the LED lights won't operate if you have reversed the +/- leads.  You are going to have to do something about only having 1 turn signal indicator light.  You either need to wire the left turn signal to the red oil light...and the right turn signal to the green turn signal indicator light - or you will have to wire in a diode to the left/right turn signal power wires - then run that combined wire to the indicator light so that it works with both the right/left turn signals.

http://www.amazon.com/Kuryakyn-4709-Diode-Kit/dp/B000TK7XMY

For the neutral light the orange wire in the harness would go to the positive lead for the bulb, and the blue wire would be connected to the ground wire for the bulb. 

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 01/30/16 at 15:59:25

I don't know what year your bike is...but likely the colors are similar for the indicator lights regardless of year (except for early bikes with the side stand light).

The neutral light uses orange for power, and blue for the ground (which is activated by the neutral switch in the transmission).

All other lights have a black/white dashed wire for the ground.  The yellow wire is always used for the high beam headlight on the bike.  (A thick yellow wire would be the power supply to the headlight, the smaller yellow wire goes to the indicator light). The low beam headlight, the tail light, and the dash lights in the speedometer uses a white wire.  The right turn signal is a green wire.  The left turn signal is a bit weird as it uses a solid black wire for the power (that is really strange).

Dave

IP Logged
savagegreenhorn7
YaBB Newbies

Waka waka!

Oakland, CA
Reply #5 - 01/30/16 at 23:00:38

Thanks dave!  You're a life saver

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:26:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wiring question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.