Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
After running, will not start back up. (Read 88 times)
way2fastmichael
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

After running, will not start back up.
01/27/16 at 17:49:28

Hello everyone, glade to be here. I just got me a 1999 ls650 at a steal. Got it home rode it around for a while, several days of just playing with it. Then I parked it for a while, maybe two weeks. Went to start it again to show a friend, it started and shut off right away. I tried again and could not get it to start. Thought i may have flooded it, Smelled gas really bad. So back in the shop it goes. Took battery out as I thought it may be low or dead. Battery  is good. Showing 12.89 volts, while charging shows 14.something. put volt meter on the starter and ground and fired it up and showing 10.56 volts. Don't think it's the battery.  Still smelling fuel. Wanting to make a bobber I started to take the fender , seat, tank ,ect, and found that the air box has about 1 inch of fuel in it. Kinda think the not starting is due in part of that. Looking some knowledge from you guys.
Thanks for any help I can get.
Michael mccroskey
North carolina.
« Last Edit: 01/27/16 at 22:41:09 by way2fastmichael »  

2016-01-27_20_57_42_resized.jpg
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: After running, will not start back up.
Reply #1 - 01/27/16 at 18:30:30

Stuck float? Try rapping on the bottom of the carb to free it or, better yet, remove the float bowl (after draining it) and unstick the float.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/27/16 at 20:02:04

Gas in the air box, you better check the oil. Gas Can get in the crankcase.
Knowing that you have a carb problem doesn't make the battery good.
10.5 while starting is, IIRC, too low to fire off the CDI and get the plug to fire.

Pulling the plug and holding it by the engine won't prove that it's firing while the starter motor is working to create compression.
A spare plug, hooked up to the plug wire, then the battery is loaded just like you were really trying to start it.

If you do pull the plug, clean the crud out down in the pit the plug sits in first, so nothing can fall in.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/28/16 at 03:15:48

The stock vacuum petcock is prone to failure....the diaphragm can dissolve with the ethanol fuel, and it then flows fuel down the vacuum line.  This can flood the engine, and it can even fill the crankcase up with gasoline and dilute the oil.

You need to test the petcock.  Here is the link.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

And you need to check your oil level and make sure the oil has not bee diluted with gasoline.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 01/28/16 at 03:29:36

Yes, you Can test it. They go bad. Yours is about 17 years old.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 01/28/16 at 10:19:40

way2fastmichael wrote on 01/27/16 at 17:49:28:
So back in the shop it goes.

Hope this is YOUR shop, not the motorcycle dealer/shop!  

If you think it's a petcock issue, you can get the raptor if you want to go that route, or you can get a petcock rebuild kit for about $20 if you want to maintain the stock vacuum set-up. That's what I did, and I also made sure to replace the stock vacuum hose off the petcock. I had no visible air leaks, but was getting intermittent surging and after replacing the hose it cleared up (knock on wood). Hoses go bad and that vacuum is critical to opening the valve to let fuel flow out.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
way2fastmichael
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/28/16 at 10:59:49

No sir I ment back in my shop behind the house. I was going to do the pet thingy upgrade but really would like to keep it stock as not wanting to have to turn it on and off all the time.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 01/28/16 at 11:09:59

way2fastmichael wrote on 01/28/16 at 10:59:49:
I was going to do the pet thingy upgrade but really would like to keep it stock as not wanting to have to turn it on and off all the time.

It becomes instinct after a while.....just like putting the kick stand down and turning the key off. (However....I started doing that in 1969, so it has become pretty well a habit by now).

I turn my Petcock off at the intersection down the street....just after I round the corner.  When I pull into my driveway the bike is running out of fuel....that way if I don't ride for a while - I don't have any fuel in the float bowl that can turn foul and corrode the carb.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Suzukisavvy

You're Droolin,
While I'm Spoolin

Nebraska, USA
Reply #8 - 01/28/16 at 13:09:37

Check to make sure the float isn't saturated with fuel. I have a 1998 savage and the float got fuel on one side and it sank and wouldn't come up and fuel rushed out the hoses. Your carb breathing tubes may be clogged letting fuel get into the air intake. A new float is around 25 no biggie easy replace did it when I was 16 now 18. Good luck, its frustrating.

IMG_1083.jpg

In my creepy robot voice.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #9 - 01/29/16 at 08:11:04

I put the Raptor petcock on mine and NEVER turned it off, the 3 years I owned it
if your needle and seat work right they won't let the carb overfill
still, turning it off is a good idea, just in case
On this point, don't leave it stock, the Raptor is the better idea, hands down, as you will never have to worry about the stocker deciding to quit working miles from home

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:33:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › After running, will not start back up.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.