Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Best muffler? (Read 157 times)
dustystranger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Best muffler?
01/26/16 at 17:32:51

What do you consider the "best" muffler?  Lets be honest, it is mostly a subjective thing.  Horsepower increase?  Not so much.  Take a look at all the dyno charts for all kinds of aftermarket pipes.  Insignificant.  But what really matters is sound and looks.  Here is my personal observations.  I have two savages, a 2003 and a 2007.  One has a very nice looking reverse cone megaphone from Mikes XS.  And it sounds very  good.  And I have a stock muffler with 8 holes drilled.  About 1/4" size.  Also has a good sound compared to stock.  Roll on contest between the two bikes has the drilled stocker winning by two bike lengths.  Insignificant to me.  Well, I thought I would try a dyna muffler.  Looks real good and sounds real good.  I figured it would be better than the drilled stocker.  Every one claims it makes more power.  Surprise, it is even slower than the megaphone!  So the fastest is the stock muffler with the drilled holes.  But again, the difference in performance is not enough to matter.  The best looking to me is that "Heiden tuned" megaphone.  The best sounding is the Dyna.  All three sound much better than stock.  I guess ole Routy had it right.  Best bang for the buck is just buy a drill bit.   Lets get some feedback from you guys who have actually done a muffler mod.  We all might learn something!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Best muffler?
Reply #1 - 01/26/16 at 17:44:15

This forum's opinion (if I can speak for everyone) is probably the Dyna. Cheap, easy to install and sounds good. I have one and I'm very happy with it, It sounds deeper than stock and is just a tad bit louder. I like the rumble on decel too.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #2 - 01/26/16 at 18:51:34

You need to do the test with each muffler on the same bike, same rider and same riding conditions to get a true idea of what's best. So, get your faster bike, take all 3 mufflers, do a couple of timed runs with the first then swap to the next one etc.

I like my slash cut with baffle. Looks and sounds heaps better than the stocker but doesn't go any better. Dumping a load of weight made it faster though.

IP Logged
dustystranger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/26/16 at 19:28:34

Yeah Gizzo, if I really wanted to see which setup was best at the dragstrip I would follow your advice.  But I do not care which setup is a couple of tenths quicker.  My savage is for riding not racing.  The fastest setup for a big single is a straight pipe hands down.  But the sound is just too loud for the street.  Hopefully we will hear from riders who have tried other types of mufflers.  At the end of the day, looks and sound are what really matter to most riders.  But I hope we get some feedback on things like optimum header pipe diameter for running a straight pipe, etc etc.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #4 - 01/26/16 at 19:53:24

I'm no expert on this but I believe a straight pipe is not the answer. Dave, I think it was you that once posted a link to a youtube video that shows what happens when you run a straight pipe. You still got that link?

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 01/26/16 at 20:23:19

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 01/26/16 at 21:18:48

Dusty

I've been using one of these with a 1/2" hole in the devider piece for the last 30,000 miles and like it .  Smiley

I'ts loud enough to hear , Quiet enough to pass cops with their windows down , big enough to hold exhaust gas for full throttle situations and about 1/2 the weight of the original .   Cool

Yea , it still backfires when decelerating , about 2500-2000 RPM the normal Pop,Pop, Pop.    When I want it to POP Big --- I'll hit the KILL switch for about 2 seconds and when I un-hit the KILL switch it POPS almost every time !  Roll Eyes

n4AAOSwr81UTlKW&vxp=mtr" target="_blank">http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emgo-Universal-26-Reverse-Cone-Cafe-Motorcycle-Muffler-Chrome-80-84034-/181976096227?hash=item2a5e9edde3:gTonguen4AAOSwr81UTlKW&vxp=mtr

Savage_muffler.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #7 - 01/26/16 at 22:54:03

MM,

What did you for an adapter to fit the muffler to the header?

That is really a nice looking megaphone. I have the Dyna muffler and it really doesn't look like it belongs on a retro looking motorcycle.

Kenny G

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 01/26/16 at 23:14:18

best?

I love my hard krome slash cut

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 01/27/16 at 02:29:05

Best really isn't applicable to mufflers, tires, etc.  Personal preference definitely gets involved.

The DYNA is the most readily available, cheapest, and a worthwhile change for most riders.  If changing to the the stock muffler to a DYNA slowed your bike down..........it most likely needed the carb jetting changed to work well with the DYNA.

And I agree - most of us are smart enough not to believe our bikes are very quick in a drag race......so looks and sound are most likely what makes us choose our muffler.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 01/27/16 at 15:53:16

Kenny I cut the head pipe about 1\2 way trough , bent the angle I wanted , then welded the split back together .  Been like that for years 😀.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #11 - 01/27/16 at 17:39:10

MM,

Thank you..I understand now how you have done it.

We have a really good independent muffler shop in Denton, when I get around to switching to the megaphone I will take the head pipe and muffler to them, along with my S40, and have them do it since I no longer have access to welding equipment.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Blade

Sydney   Australia
Reply #12 - 01/28/16 at 00:34:07

Previous Owner installed an Enfield muffler - nice note and is in keeping with the lines of the bike.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #13 - 01/28/16 at 00:54:39

Well, the dyno muffler that I installed 2 years ago is burning out....yup the baffles are slowly but surely disappearing.
The sound? well...  its louder, but it is a single cylinder and to me it sounds "sputtery"  yeah, I made that one up, but that is what it sounds like to me.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 01/28/16 at 03:36:00

Kenny G wrote on 01/27/16 at 17:39:10:
MM,

Thank you..I understand now how you have done it.

We have a really good independent muffler shop in Denton, when I get around to switching to the megaphone I will take the head pipe and muffler to them, along with my S40, and have them do it since I no longer have access to welding equipment.

Kenny G

Kenny.  The angle adapter that RYCA sells makes the job really easy and you won't have to do any running around - unfortunately it is not real cheap...but it is a reasonable price.  Superthumper may also be willing to sell you an adapter.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:25:41

General CategoryThe Cafe › Best muffler?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.