Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bike won't start or turn over on own (Read 112 times)
S40_TRAV
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

canton,ohio
bike won't start or turn over on own
01/26/16 at 13:10:44

Hey everyone how goes it?...I have an issue with my 05 s40, one day it died,thought battery/replaced it..still nothing...right after that I replaced the starter solenoid, the regulator/rectifier and the stator..still nothing..when I got the ignition I can hear the loud thud of the decompression lever but that's it...if I put the battery charger on it with the 12v setting it will fire up but the lights are dim and runs crappy and after i shut it off thinking it would fire right up it won't...I have no idea what's going on..any input??..thanks

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Re: bike won't start or turn over on own
Reply #1 - 01/26/16 at 13:56:01

It might be that your new battery is a dud. It happened to me. I would charge the battery, it would show good voltage until I hit the starter, which put a load on the battery. After that the battery voltage went low and wouldn't recover without putting it back on the charger. It would again read OK voltage until you put a load on the battery. The vendor replaced the battery and all was good.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 01/26/16 at 17:08:40

Try jump starting it with a car battery. DO NOT HAVE THE CAR RUNNING! You will fry the electrical system.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 01/26/16 at 21:00:50

Parts stores test batteries and starters and alternators . Dunno bout bike starters/ alternator..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 01/26/16 at 21:19:55

+1 on a possible dud new battery. happened to me with a nice agm battery. made sure to have the store test every battery i buy brfore i leave now.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 01/27/16 at 17:26:30

Sounds like you got a dud regulator rectifier and it is killing your new battery.  Use a multimeter and test both and let us know how it goes.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
S40_TRAV
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

canton,ohio
Reply #6 - 01/27/16 at 17:38:48

Thanks for the input everybody..I'll break out the multimeter and check it out when I get a chance

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #7 - 01/27/16 at 18:25:04

I know AutoZone will load test a battery for free but can they test a mc battery? The people that I've dealt with behind the counter usually don't know a motorcycle battery from a AAA battery.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 01/27/16 at 20:11:23

The Wal-Mart has a Super smart tester/ charger. Resurected my backhoe battery after I left the key on, pretty sure twice.. And it's Still hanging in there, tho it's about four years old and so rarely used ,it's not gonna be long.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
S40_TRAV
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

canton,ohio
Reply #9 - 02/02/16 at 12:07:49

I had time today to get the battery checked and it was was dud..had a short in it they said...new one out in a fired right up

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #10 - 02/02/16 at 12:26:02

S40_TRAV wrote on 02/02/16 at 12:07:49:
I had time today to get the battery checked and it was was dud..had a short in it they said...new one out in a fired right up

I would test the regulator rectifier anyway.  It has been my experience that batteries don't just fry themselves.  I wouldn't be surprised if you find this battery fried too sometime in the near future.  Testing the regulator rectifier now might save you from this.  If it tests fine then great, but if it doesn't you can get a new one for $20 and save yourself a real headache.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #11 - 02/02/16 at 12:38:57

I'm glad the problem is solved.

"It has been my experience that batteries don't just fry themselves."

My old battery died from old age. It was about 5-6 yrs old. My new dud battery was bad from the store. I brought it home, installed it and it wouldn't start the bike. OK, I said, maybe it just needs a charge. Charged it and it still wouldn't turn the engine over. Charged it a second time with the same result. I don't think I could blame the rectifier or charging circuit on the bike. The bike never ran with the new battery and the ignition was on for a total of about 60 seconds. The store verified the battery had a bad cell.

It happens.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:30:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bike won't start or turn over on own

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.