Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
High gearing seizes engine/gearing for speed. (Read 414 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Re: High gearing seizes engine/gearing for speed.
Reply #60 - 04/08/16 at 09:43:39

I remember here somebody tried to transplant a SV650 gear or some similar model, and failed. Don't you think Suzuki or somebody, would have made something with the right measurements? Why would the LS650 be so unique in its gear measurements. Of course, there are so many measurements that have to match, is there any hope? Undecided Needle in a haystack when the needle is a guess.  Sad

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #61 - 04/08/16 at 15:50:38

I know I am getting old and not interested in riding fast all the time, and I don't even know WHERE I would ride to see if my bike would do 95 or the full ton, but if you want to ride that way YOU BOUGHT THE WRONG BIKE!

The Savage was built as a cruiser.

If you just have to go faster on it, install--
clip-ons
140/90 rear tire
rear set pegs & controls
a seat & tank you can live with
a Kaw front pulley
a small headlight style faring & windscreen
a gps speedo w/tach

Yea, it sounds simple enough.

OR JUST BUY A NINJA OR SOME OTHER SPORTBIKE.

The Savage is a THUMPER!
It is a cruiser!
Live it!
Relish it!
Put a Dyna on it and cruise down the road basking in it's thumping glory!!!!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #62 - 04/08/16 at 20:48:37

Put a Dyna on it and cruise down the road basking in it's thumping glory!!!!

+ 1

You can still do the Kawasaki front pulley --- for more Cruse-ability .   The speedometer will be off about 10% , but that is easy to live with.  Cool

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #63 - 04/08/16 at 22:01:47

I don't go crazy fast anyway. I can't say for sure I've ever done 85 indicated, much less 95. 60-70 is my typical highway speed, and 75 is my typical top speed for the slab. I don't reach 80 often. I just want to optimize my gearing. That's all. The drive to tinker.... to tweak

It would be cool if my bike could get great gas mileage and low engine stress in the 60-70 mph range without sacrificing much in the get-up-and-go department.

Besides, unless you have a big, smooth road, 80 on the Savage is rather wobbly.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #64 - 04/09/16 at 11:57:30

Alright I admit it, I loved driving fast when I was younger. My first rides on a friend's then new Mach 3, riding my friend that owns a dealership's GS1100 in the early 80's when you lost the 85mpn speedo in second, and you keep going til the front wheel comes up again hitting 5th. You know your doing 140 or so and the damm front wheel still lifts when you shift hard. WOW fast bikes are great when you are young and immortal!
Now I have about 450,000 miles on 2 wheels. I have left the fast riding to the younger guys. I love the sound of my thumper cruising down the road. I have geared it up with both Kaw pulleys and a 150/90-15 rear tire, I have a solo seat and box/backrest and windshield. I don't go scratching around every corner.(do they even use that term anymore?) Actually crusing the flat, straight roads in S. Fla on my bike is like going down the road on a Lazy-Boy with a windshield. BUT I LOVE IT!!!!
The sound of that single thumping thru the Dyna is music to my ears. I know Dave's bike looks great and handles even better. I have seen bobbers on this site that look wild (for 10 mile hops). But to go to Columbia SC next weekend for a derby tournament, doing about 1300 miles in 5 days, mostly the first and last, I NEED to take stuff with me. I'm not going back to a Gold Wing where if you're packing lite you only take the 2 slice toaster. But I think I should be able to take the min. for a week's trip. Yes I know even with a good rainsuit you get wet when it rains. Did 40 miles thru a downpour last Sat. But compared to riding in a box, going down the road on a bike is almost like flying! You don't have to turn in a corner, you just think and lean and the bike and you are one.
Riding a motorcycle, when done with common sense, can be a soul filling experience. When done carelessly, it can be terrifying, painful, and extremely unforgiving!
I won't seriously pick on anyone who rides, on a scooter, Gold Wing, chopper, dirt bike, or even a sportbike. (I will however complain when they pass me inches away at 100 mph faster than I am going!)
The point is to get out and RIDE!!
If you have and like a S40 or Savage and want to mod it to your personal taste, style, and budget, GO FOR IT!!! The basic bike can be like raw clay to a sculptor. The changes and mods you can do are endless. But don't lose sight that it is a motorcycle, not just a tool or a work of art,,,,,,RIDE IT!!!

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #65 - 04/10/16 at 22:15:22

Good way to draw a close to a topic. Not sure if it will rest yet, though. Wink

Man, you sure have tall gearing. That's even higher than the 17/43. You must have one of the tallest geared Savages around. I sure would like to know how well the bike handles it. You're approaching Harley-esque gearing.  Grin.

I can say pulling out in second or third on mine without knowing it can happen (maybe not so much from a dead stop). I've turned out onto the road before in second or third, and it worked fine. The thing is that you're slipping the clutch anyway to turn so that by the time you're on the road, you have just enough speed to go without bucking. Kinda feels cool when you pull out in second and it sometimes gives that Harley-esque feel (not saying I've ever actually rode a Harley Roll Eyes). Healthy on the engine? Not sure. Huh

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 03:30:12

General CategoryThe Cafe › High gearing seizes engine/gearing for speed.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.