Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Freedom POP no cost plan, $50 phone (Read 606 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Freedom POP no cost plan, $50 phone
Reply #15 - 01/28/16 at 05:13:34

I attempted to contact my Ebay seller to cancel my phones -- he isn't able to cancel because they are "in shipment".   He does offer 30 day "no questions asked returns" though and suggests I activate and see if FreedomPOP has cleaned up their act lately about their sign up process and their plans.  

(Who does he think he is kidding ???  He IS FreedomPOP .....)

Next, he has edited his Ebay offering to get in line with what FreedomPOP is currently offering for plans.

This FreedomPop is Certified Pre-Owned:

FREE - 100% Free talk, text, and data: 500 texts, 200 voice minutes, and 500MB of data free every month for life
(this is a limited time Wifi only intro offer, good for a year or less)  There is no real plan to back this up, this is your pure advertising come-on thing

.99 -  Unlimited Talk, Text, and 500MB of data     (this is a limited time intro offer, good for a year or less)   Real plan is $10.99

.99 - Unlimited Talk, Text, and 1GB of data     (this is a limited time intro offer, good for a year or less)   Real plan is $19.99

100% Free WiFi Calling and Texting   (this is using the FreedomPOP Android App)

Free International calling - Get 100% Free Calls and Texts over WiFi to over 50 countries and discounted rates for country specific plans     (this is using the FreedomPOP Android App)

FreedomPop Certified Pre-owned: Through extensive physical damage and functionality checks, thorough data wipes, factory resets, and advanced frequency tests

30-day money back guarantee - No questions asked

No Contracts – Cancel anytime without fees or commitments

« Last Edit: 01/28/16 at 07:39:48 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #16 - 01/28/16 at 05:36:08

OK, let's check out the FreedomPOP Android App since that is the basis for all the current advertised truly 'free' offerings.

http://www.androidcentral.com/freedompop-offers-unlimited-access-its-wifi-net...

FreedomPop offers unlimited access to its Wi-Fi network for $5 a month

So, $5 after the intro period instead of really 'free".    This is exactly what Republic Wireless offers as their lowest cost Wifi ONLY access plan.

The only remaining price difference between FreedomPOP and Republic Wireless is the 500 meg of data which is worth ~$5.00 a month.

There is supposedly a speed difference, 3-G vs 4-G, advantage to FreedomPOP.

There is a phone cost difference, with a current generation refurbed FreedomPOP costing less than half what a used Ebay Republic Wireless phone costs.   But this comes across as a special short term deal, since dropped -- but apparently cheap phone offers do come up occasionally whenever they get too many phones in stock.

BEWARE:  FreedomPOP loves them little unannounced adder fees, like the .99 access fee which is now an acknowledged formal fee.    So your $5 just went down to $4 a month.

================================================

Both Republic Wireless (the good guys) and FreedomPOP (the BS guys) will save you a killing TON of money compared to AT&T, Verizon.    They will cut a Sprint or T-Mobile bill down by a third.

The difference between the two is your peace of mind and about $4-5 in raw cost at any given level of service.

FreedomPOP is more desperate and is trying much much harder than Republic Wireless at this point in time.   Republic Wireless is now acting more and more like Google Fi lite, which defines their offerings and their general pricing now.

As FreedomPOP struggles and flails around, they will occasionally drop a good price on stuff that lasts about a year.   They are erratic in their billing practices, and require you to call in to protest any weird charges that you see showing up in your monthly bill.

Republic Wireless will act like a solid Google derived company, update your phone to the next Android version, etc. etc.   Your monthly bill is what you agreed to, no monthly upsets when you see it.

=========================================

PAYBACK PERIOD,  with me knowing more about it ......

Better phone, 500 meg of data, faster data speed --- cost savings per month $4.00 going to FreedomPOP

Phone cost is $49.99 each

$49.99 / $4  =  Payback period is 13 months based on what we know now.

I think I will try it out -- there is no substitute for ACTUALLY DOING IT.  

I still like the free 500 meg of data and the better data speed, but I do realize this is a marginal cost improvement while still having to deal ongoing with a BS loving company.

RISK LEVEL    ..... is that FreedomPOP will fold up or totally change their plans inside 13 months.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #17 - 01/28/16 at 06:43:15

Your wifi app sounds like what I get with my MagicJack app, free calling on wifi anywhere I am with my android phone ($10 from trackfone, never activated with them) I also have a gps speedo app on it I use on my S40. I have broadband at home & just renewed my MagicJack for $99 for 5 years. For a true cell phone I have tmobile prepaid plan, $100 to start and be a gold customer and your minutes are good for a year. I very seldom use it, and $20 a year for more minutes keeps my balance active for another year.
If you are trying to find unlimited everything for free, you will have to park by the library and mooch off their free wifi.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 01/28/16 at 07:07:45

I would say what I am investigating is the current state of low cost and "free" as currently expressed by somewhat real providers.

I did this a year ago and I hit gold with Republic Wireless.   Very gold.   Very real.

I'm doing it again this year and looks like I am hitting brass with FreedomPOP instead of gold or silver.

Point is, unless you try about once a year .... you get bupkiss for anything new or better.   Jest stuck forever on the same old stuff.

Wink     ..... even brass is better than bupkiss.

Badwolf has a new freebie candidate as an Android App from Magic Jack.    

I just charged up my old Galaxy S3 so I can see if I can get me some free Android action from FreedomPOP or from Magic Jack on a dead, no service cell phone.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #19 - 01/28/16 at 07:53:33

My Straight Talk phone was 3G, my ATT phone is 4G LTE, i see no difference in speed
I have passed my 4G limit this month (too much YouTube) and am now on 2G
2G is like Dial up was BITD, minus getting kicked off the web
In other words, "click on desired website, go make a sandwich"  
Still runs my PC through tether, which surprised me

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #20 - 01/28/16 at 09:42:02

Cr@p!...  Maybe I'll just make do with stupidphone from Tracphone...
I now have 3,000 minutes backed up on it...

I don't understand any of this stuff...
Just can't get into phones and apps and texting over wi-fi...

I thought MagicJack was for using a regular home phone on internet?...
It uses cell phones?....
Does it work?... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #21 - 01/28/16 at 11:07:52

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/28/16 at 07:07:45:

I would say what I am investigating is the current state of low cost and "free" as currently expressed by somewhat real providers.

I did this a year ago and I hit gold with Republic Wireless.   Very gold.   Very real.

I'm doing it again this year and looks like I am hitting brass with FreedomPOP instead of gold or silver.

Point is, unless you try about once a year .... you get bupkiss for anything new or better.   Jest stuck forever on the same old stuff.

Wink     ..... even brass is better than bupkiss.

Badwolf has a new freebie candidate as an Android App from Magic Jack.    

I just charged up my old Galaxy S3 so I can see if I can get me some free Android action from FreedomPOP or from Magic Jack on a dead, no service cell phone.

Why not just download a free VOIP app onto that phone and use it when near a free wi-fi?
There are free wi-fi spots everywhere now days....
And free Voice Over Internet Protocall software programs out the ying/yang.
I mean, you are already carrying around a couple of phones on you.... why not buy two cheap ones and give the wifey one to use at work wi-fi and you have one at home wi-fi?  
Use the "charge" phones less.... save money? no?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #22 - 01/28/16 at 15:32:30

MagicJack is for a home phone over your internet. You must have broadband from somewhere. The app for your android phone allows you to make calls over any wifi like you were on your home phone. It cost about $60 for me to buy the unit, transfer my home number, and the first year of service. I just renewed for 5 years for $99. Was paying $36 a month for basic home phone from ATT. Had to have it to get dsl. When I went to cable internet for $34.99 a month (same as I was paying for dsl)  and MagicJack my total bill went wayyyy down. I have the tmobile prepay cell phone if I REALLY need it. Keep in mind, I only use a phone as a PHONE, not to surf, text, or play games.  If you are using your phone for everything, and are on it whenever you are breathing (like most teenagers). You are gonna have to pay SOMETHING! Well maybe you could get a ''Obama phone'' if you qualify, but if you have saved any of your money instead of spending it on drugs, you won't qualify. Or free housing or food stamps. But I digress.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #23 - 01/28/16 at 15:46:08

starting next pay cycle ATT will increase  from 4 to 5 gigs 4G
still costs a lot compared to regular cell / internet, but all i got right now
as far as actually using my cell as a cell, I could probably do just fine with a $10 dumb phone  Grin

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 01/28/16 at 20:24:37

Yep, I did the Viber thing on this same out of service phone and it worked great for outgoing calls when you know you at a spot with good wifi available.

Folks trying to call you, not so hot as you are out and about a lot (no stable wifi to carry the call).

The kids all text each other now instead of calling, as text gets picked up by the next wifi zone you go through and reads through and is stored on your device.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 01/29/16 at 09:13:41

OK, my phones came in.   I took the first one and activated it over the phone as per these instructions .....

HOW TO GET IT SET TO $0 A MONTH (FREE):

I ordered this FreedomPOP from Amazon or Ebay. When it's delivered, you get a Quick Start Guide pamphlet.  In the light blue bubble on the paper (or in the text on page #6, it varies) it says that if you didn't get it directly from FreedomPop, like me, you get 2 options:

1. Activate your device online
2. Activate your device by calling
  My booklet said call 1-888-743-8107 so I used that toll free number.

Do NOT activate it online.      Activate by calling the  1-888-743-8107  toll free number.

If you're interested to know why, read on. If not, skip to the next paragraph. By default, the free trial is picked in bright green. You can get over this by clicking the shaded out 500 mb plan all the way to the right, which is the truly free one. HOWEVER, when you get to checkout, you notice it has forced you into what's called "FreedomPop Premier." You cannot remove it from your shopping cart. It's free for 30 days, but then you pay $25 in advance every 3 months (at about $8 per month). Avoid the headaches of trying to cancel and trying to get your money back by not getting FreedomPop Premier in the first place.

Call 888-701-1353, Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm. If you can help it, do not call during lunch hour. EVERYONE calls during lunch hour, so you have to wait hours! I called at 9am and only waited 2 minutes.

Tell whoever picks up that you want to activate your device. They'll transfer you to a sales rep.  What you have to do is CAREFULLY REFUSE all the adder items and REFUSE all the "free for the first month" stuff and KEEP asking what the monthly total is and insist that it should be ZERO.   Expect the customer service person to have problems with their computer screen, as their system automatically adds stuff back in and ASK THEM REPEATEDLY TO CANCEL EACH ADDITIONAL ITEM as soon as they recognize it.   Record who your customer service rep is -- you may need this information later on.

NOTE:

You'll be charged 0.01$ (one cent) on your credit card after this call. I called back and asked why, and was told it's to check to see if the card works. He said I would get refunded. I'll continue to keep tabs on my credit card, as should you. By the way, I recorded all my calls --- I did this because I read a review of someone being charged for a feature that they had already disabled. According to him, when he called, the customer service person basically just called him a liar. He could not prove otherwise without his recordings.

It took 29 minutes on the phone to do the job.  You need to have your charge card standing by as they are going to push a 1 cent charge through right then to make sure your card is real and is working right.

I recorded the phone call and it was "convoluted" as I kept saying "NO, I just want the free service" to all the multiple offers of this and that.

There was one item that stuck in the system anyway and that was $3.00 for premium voice and I was immediately transferred over to Customer Service to have that yanked.

I spoke with two Mexican based English speakers, so this phone stuff is all exported to 3rd world call centers, but they spoke well enough and I was insistent that they speak clearly and loudly whenever they were trying to sell me an additional service and I was denying it.    I got a good recording of it anyway.

I have the basic 100% FREE service, and now am going to find out all the warts and uglies that such contains.   I suspect that voice quality on calls SUCKS unless you are on Wifi and I think this is admitted to by the fact they want to GIVE you "premium voice" for the first 90 days (which is also the money back guarantee period, btw).

But, this is an experiment in FREE, so we take the free, warts and all.

Smiley

This Moto E cell phone and FreedomPOP "Free Basic" plan cost me $49.99 and my payback period for the entire package the way it is right now is 4.2 months.

« Last Edit: 01/29/16 at 11:02:57 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 01/29/16 at 09:48:28

I gave the FreedomPOP people the 1/2 hour they said they needed to get me all organized in their system and then I turned the phone on for the very first time.

I was asked to choose my wifi from a listing of area wifi that could be seen, and I selected my own and gave it the password.

I was prompted to put in my Android gmail address (you got one if you have an Android device) and immediately Google proved how great it was by offering to restore all my stuff automatically from my Google Drive backup.   I said YES, and Google mirrored my existing Republic Wireless Moto G on to the FreedomPOP Moto E.   All of it, every setting, app, every feature, picture, you name it, all of it set up and working the way it does now.  

Several of the items needed updating as the original version was screwy on the new phone (old phone was 32 bit, new phone is 64 bit) but that shook itself out fairly easily and I was prompted for the new 64 bit version of the apps in question.

Since it is my old phone in essence, the learning curve is small.    

Thank you Google -- it took you 20 minutes of downloading but it would have taken me a week to manually put all my various toys back into commission.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #27 - 01/29/16 at 10:05:36

Something you have to deal with on your phone itself is Automatic Top-up

This needs to be killed on an intentionally totally free system as it will automatically reach out to your charge card to get more money as soon as you get into the last 200 megabytes of your free data.  

Yeah, I know, kinda dumb -- as soon as you get into the last half of your free data they go pick your charge cards pocket to trick you into spending data past your free limit   Tongue  and remember this top-up stuff is hidden from you because the goal post was moved automatically.

I want the system to DIE TOTALLY when I hit the end of the free data, so I went into the Billings Settings menu on the FreedomPOP lockscreen and turned Automatic Top-up "off".   I think you get some warnings about data running out then before you die, but we shall see won't we.    I went into systems settings for cell data and put in a phone based 450 meg warning and a 495 meg cut off.

=======================================

Messaging blue and white bubble icon

Something that isn't obvious is that the FreedomPOP blue and white message bubble (message icon) is your actual one touch gateway into your FreedomPOP settings and administration system on your phone.  

It also gives you your running totals on data use, phone minutes and text counts.

I put mine next to the phone call symbol as it is also used to manually initiate a text message and you can even start a call with it if you choose.  

You can still use your contact list to do the same sorts of things, of course.

========================================

(PS   ...... I used up a whopping 18 meg of data in setting up and upgrading my new phone --- weeee !!!!)

« Last Edit: 01/30/16 at 00:35:41 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 01/29/16 at 13:54:13

FreedomPOP requires an extra cost adder for voice messaging.
 Oh well, I didn't need that anyway -- just shoot me a text instead.

So far I can turn off cell data and run the whole phone just fine off of wifi and only when I need data do I turn it back on.

The main trick is -- just turn my cell data on only as needed.  

500 meg will last me a month, easily, apart from some stupid accident leaving cell on and hitting web sites or doing a little YouTube streaming that is part of a web site that is being visited.

Phone calls on wifi are fine, calls on "natural" unaugmented Sprint voice service (2G ????) are kinda scratchy with some background noise & trash --- but it works OK so far.

If I had known all this, I wouldn't have burned that initial 18 meg of data setting the phone up, as it was all Playstore update minutes as the apps all had to be downloaded and updated --- and because cell data was "on" Playstore used that instead of wifi (which was also on but didn't get used by Playstore as Playstore uses cell data by default).

Roll Eyes

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #29 - 01/29/16 at 20:10:10

Now for some good news about the Motorola Moto E second generation phone itself.

The  wifi system in this phone is three times better than any phone,  tablet or laptop I have ever owned.  It pulls in three to four bars at distances that are amazing.

Because the Wi-Fi is so good I don't have to use nearly as much cellular data.

And the talk to text function works much better as well.

The processor speed and screen response time are cooperating together to make the phone move incredibly fast.  I think part of this trick is while the screen is scrolling it does not display high resolution (low res - kind of fuzzy) but when it stops scrolling it then pops into an extremely fine resolution image.  

The net effect is some fantastic scrolling speed .....

Wink

Proof of the pudding is this ..... I am streaming a movie using no cellular data in a place where I never could do that before.

« Last Edit: 01/30/16 at 00:29:40 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:26:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › Freedom POP no cost plan, $50 phone

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.