badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
H4 LED headlight blubs
01/17/16 at 12:59:55

I did a search for this and found some info, but I am looking for someone who has tried them and is using them, hates them, threw them away, loves them, or whatever. Someone with experience with them not just someone else's option or something "they heard from a buddy".
How about it, has anyone made the jump?  
I am tossing around the idea of building a frame mounted faring and think dual 5" headlights would be different, and throw a lot more light. But 2 regular H4 bulbs might be too much for the S40. The LED bulbs draw much less current.  Normal headlight draws 55/60 watts. I am thinking 2  X 20/40 in LED would light up even the back roads.  
Anyone?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: H4 LED headlight blubs
Reply #1 - 01/17/16 at 15:27:54

WWW   IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #2 - 01/18/16 at 19:45:55

Verslagen, Thanks for the reply. I had found most of those, and the more I read and research the more confused I get. Tonight I tried a ''superbright'' H4 bulb (blueish) I forgot I had, and it does seem like a little more light to my eye. Suppose I'll stick to that till I decide to drop $300 on a GOOD led unit that is dot approved.  
Does a bigger 7'' lens throw more light with the same bulb?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/18/16 at 20:14:58

The stock bucket and lens will actually do a good job with the right bulb.
My LED bulb has an adapter for the H4 receptacle that gets loose and the bulb moves around.
and it varies from a good pattern, very bright to not so good.
with a standard bulb, it's a poor low beam and a good high beam.
if you can sink the bulb in a little bit then I thing the low beam would be better.
I think if you look around the net you'll find an explanation of all the types of bulbs.  some have the same fittings with different dimensions.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 01/19/16 at 05:03:28

Please don't misunderstand my intentions.....the stock headlight is not very good, and it can stand some improvement.  However.....I am not a fan of throwing LED lights into a housing it was not built for, as the low beam light is not well controlled (and it is not legal to install the LED lights in normal bulbs....that is why all the sellers state that the bulbs are for "Off Road Use Only".  The vertical cut off is not provided in most cheap LED lights, and you end up throwing a lot of light into the faces of the oncoming traffic.  There are several folks in the area where I live that have put the LED lights in their cars and trucks, and when they are behind me I can see the outline of my car reflecting in all the road signs and bridges as we pass.....and my rear view mirrors are blinding (and it is even worse when they are coming straight at you on our narrow county roads).

This is what a proper headlight does on the low beam - it limits the amount of light that shines upward.

When you put a bulb in without the proper vertical control, the light shines upward and is blinding to other drivers.

Good LED H4 bulbs have a vertical cut off built in to the low beam light.  You can see the bulb below has a molded shield that prevents the low beam light from shining upward.

The CREE and other lesser quality bulbs don't have any vertical cut off built in, and they don't properly control the light shining upward when using the low beam.

There is a thread in the Honda ST forum that shows the work they did to modify the LED bulbs to get the needed vertical cut off for the low beams.  This reduces the "glare" that results when the bulb doesn't control the low beam properly.
http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?146534-How-to-modify-H4-led-to...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 01/19/16 at 05:11:11

badwolf wrote on 01/18/16 at 19:45:55:
Tonight I tried a ''superbright'' H4 bulb (blueish) I forgot I had, and it does seem like a little more light to my eye.

Does a bigger 7'' lens throw more light with the same bulb?

When you buy regular filament bulbs, try to buy the ones with the clearest glass possible.  The blue coating might make a "kewl" color - but it actually filters out some of the light spectrum that illuminates the deer and other brown things along the roadway.  You will see better with the filament shining all the light down the road - it is best for visibility if you don't tint the light with a colored bulb.

The size of the reflector doesn't make a bunch of a difference - what matters is the quality of the reflector and lens, and the Savage headlight just isn't very good at properly aiming the light.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 01/19/16 at 05:16:37

According to the ST Forum, this LED headlight bulb already has the necessary shields built in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141854486810

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #7 - 01/19/16 at 06:08:08

Dave, Thanks, that is very helpful.  The Super Bright LEDs site has some very good stuff with specs in American English I can understand. Looks like this would be the way to go for a 7" , price is steep thou.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/motorcycle-led-bulbs/7-round-sealed-...
I am looking at the smaller bulbs to brighten up the back, and things could get interesting.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 01/19/16 at 06:15:44

For the tail/brake light bulb......this is an excellent one for the Savage, or any light housing that has a lens that has been molded with the little diamond shaped surface to disperse the light.  (It doesn't work well in lights that use a clear lens and a fluted reflector).

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/s-series-bulbs/1157-led-bulb-w-brake...

The bulb flashes 3 times whenever you apply the brake, and it does attract attention.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 01/19/16 at 21:30:39

Dave wrote on 01/19/16 at 06:15:44:
For the tail/brake light bulb......this is an excellent one for the Savage, or any light housing that has a lens that has been molded with the little diamond shaped surface to disperse the light.  (It doesn't work well in lights that use a clear lens and a fluted reflector).

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/s-series-bulbs/1157-led-bulb-w-brake...

The bulb flashes 3 times whenever you apply the brake, and it does attract attention.

i have that bulb in my tail light. works well. no complaints.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 01/19/16 at 22:07:22

I click the front brake lever to flash
I also have dual circuit (run and brake) led flex strips in the plate frame and on the rack
& single circuit (brake only) license plate led bolts

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 01/20/16 at 02:13:47

One of the best headlight upgrades you can do.....is to find a headlight bucket that will accept a 7" assembly.  Then find a 7" diameter "E code" headlight from Cibie or Hella.  The E code headlight is the European lens, and it has a better light pattern than the DOT version.  You can find them on eBay regularly - or buy them form Daniel Stern lighting.  (Be sure you buy a left hand drive version(right side of road)....some are made for driving in the right lane (right hand drive)and the pattern will be wrong).

http://danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331747110694?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=...

https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=AwrB8pLGXZ9WYzQA.akunIlQ;_yl...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 01/22/16 at 03:59:32

Here is a link to Amazon, where you can buy the LED lights with the "low beam shield" built in.

http://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Evitek-6500K-Easy-Installed-4500LM/dp/B017M56...

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #13 - 01/22/16 at 05:48:26

Dave, Do you know the difference tween the G6 and the G3?

IP Logged
Srotag

Have  Thumper  
  Will  Travel

Wherever it is warm and sunny
Reply #14 - 01/22/16 at 05:53:02

The bulb flashes 3 times whenever you apply the brake, and it does attract attention. [/quote]
i have that bulb in my tail light. works well. no complaints. [/quote]

Hey  Stew did you use the resistor too or just change the bulb?
Thanks

2005 S40 Ridin' on the back of our motorhome...Where we go, so goes Thumper Smiley Smiley
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 13:20:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › H4 LED headlight blubs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.