H4 LED headlight blubs (Read 676 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: H4 LED headlight blubs
Reply #30 - 01/30/16 at 12:34:23

That's kind of what I was thinking.

Is there a donor bike that we could "borrow" a higher output charging system from? What about rewiring the stator or something?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #31 - 01/30/16 at 15:37:35

Word on the street is that this is a "balanced" system.  The stuff rotor on the crank has permanent magnets, and it therefore charges at the full rate all the time, and most of it is used up by the bike.  What ever isn't needed is bled off by the rectifier/voltage regulator....and is converted to heat.  If you install a stator with the ability to make more power....it could exceed the capacity of the rectifier and burn it up.

I have never heard of anyone installing a larger charging system on the Savage.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #32 - 01/30/16 at 16:59:38

Alright I finally got the picture up. Yes I am going to keep a real close watch on the battery level. I don't ride a lot at night, and will keep it on high beam during the day ( the new lights are on the low beam circuit).
But this is the best I have ever been able to see at night. I plan on going to a led 40/20 watt headlight unit then just wire them to a toggle switch.  40 high beam plus 30 spot lights is 10 over stock, but leds in back and t/s should get it close to stock load. Not like I'm plugging in a electric suit or gloves. I have to change the speedo bulb too, it looks like it is lit-up by a candle now.  I guess their light temp (6000 +) is what makes normal bulbs seam yellow to the eye.
These little lights fit in easy just under the sides of the headlight, a flat piece of aluminum sandwiched under the headlight with tabs bent up to mount them to.

This is with the camera flash, bulbs all off.

lights on, not running, no flash

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #33 - 02/27/16 at 13:59:55

I made the plunge $$$ for a 20/40w led headlight bulb and a new ''can'' to mount it in.

All I can say is''WOW''. Not cheap, but worth it! Now with the 2x15w spot lights it draws 50/70w just a little over the stock 55/60w H4 bulb.  I don't use high beam around town, and over the road when on high the engine is turning fast enough for full voltage output.
If anyone else wants to try this, get the bulb, then make sure it fits in the ''can'' BEFORE you buy it. The led bulbs are bigger in back and won't fit in a small unit. (Without a lot of fileing, grinding, and really bad language.) None of the other wiring behind the stock bulb will fit or the ballast thingie.  That s why I wrapped around the fork tubes, to hide/protect a huge mess of wires. On the plus side, the wrapping did stop a surprisingly large amount of turbulent airflow into the tank and up onto my chest

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #34 - 02/28/16 at 07:57:05

I like the wrap.  What did you make it out of?  Can you share details and/or pics of the construction?

WWW   IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #35 - 02/28/16 at 15:26:45

Blue, It's just a old piece of Naugahyde I had laying around. 16"x6.5" with folded ends and 2 - 6" nylon straps and Velcro sewn on. If I made another I'd go 17"-17.5" x 6.5" then cut the straps to length before sewing on the Velcro.
Thanks for the idea about the Yam 4.2 gal tank. I have one with the mounts made and am working on a new seat, inst panel, and a little body work before paint. I really wanted to get a 200 mile range on this bike. My 91 year old mother lives 190 miles across state and I make the round trip at least once a month.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #36 - 03/06/16 at 17:33:49

Update.... Came home 120 miles last night from roller derby on the Interstate at 65-70 and never needed the high beam. Angled the right spot out a little to light up the shoulder some and saw 2 deer off the pavement eating about 100 yards before I got to them. I am liking riding at night much better now.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #37 - 03/16/16 at 15:57:28

Badwolf, where did you get that LED headlight from?

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #38 - 03/16/16 at 16:13:26

Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-3-4-inch-MOTORCYCLE-DAYMAKER-PROJECTOR-HID-LED-LAMP...

I got it thru a auction of his for $66.00. Keep a eye out as he sells them by auction and outright. You WILL need a big housing to mount it, but once you try it you won't mind the cost.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #39 - 03/17/16 at 05:29:56

badwolf wrote on 03/16/16 at 16:13:26:
Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-3-4-inch-MOTORCYCLE-DAYMAKER-PROJECTOR-HID-LED-LAMP...

I got it thru a auction of his for $66.00. Keep a eye out as he sells them by auction and outright. You WILL need a big housing to mount it, but once you try it you won't mind the cost.

If it's anything like the day maker on my Ultra Limited, I'm sure I will.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #40 - 06/12/16 at 15:01:43

Badwolf, you say you need a big can for the light so I am guessing it will not fit in our original can. What can did you get, where and for how much? Thanks.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #41 - 06/12/16 at 19:35:54

Badwolf, you say you need a big can for the light so I am guessing it will not fit in our original can. What can did you get, where and for how much? Thanks.

I got the can off ebay, but spent about 2 or 3 hours making the bulb fit....NOT FUN! Get the bulb first,then you can measure it BEFORE you buy a can. Go to a salvage yard if possible bulb in hand, or a custom bike shop, any shop that builds custom Harleys will have old or odd parts around they will get rid of for cash.
It's not the easiest mod to do, but you will love it every time you ride at night. I got my PC800 going now, and the 80/100 watt H4 bulb in that I used to love now seems dim.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #42 - 06/16/16 at 15:16:30

Thanks Badwolf. I've seen some HD headlight buckets on eBay for relatively cheap. Might just be easier to buy the 7" HD bucket and the 7" daymaker that will fit that specific model HD bucket. Or maybe just do an LED conversion. I do not believe I am as mechanically gifted as you. Sad

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 13:15:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › H4 LED headlight blubs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.