YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: H4 LED headlight blubs
Reply #15 - 01/22/16 at 06:08:25

Srotag wrote on 01/22/16 at 05:53:02:
Hey  Stew did you use the resistor too or just change the bulb?
Thanks

You don't need the resistor when you use this as a tail/brake light bulb .....as the brake light system does not have a flasher unit.  You only need the resistor if you want to use this bulb in a turn signal.....and this really isn't a proper bulb for a turn signal....as I have no idea what kind of flashing you would get with the flasher unit trying to turn the bulb on and off....and the bulb trying to flash 3 times.

Superbright does offer this same bulb without the built in flasher....and that would be the proper bulb to use in a turn signal.  Then you either need the resistor to make the bulb flash properly - or you need to convert your mechanical flasher unit to an electronic one.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #16 - 01/22/16 at 10:02:06

Dave wrote on 01/22/16 at 06:08:25:
Srotag wrote on 01/22/16 at 05:53:02:
Hey  Stew did you use the resistor too or just change the bulb?
Thanks

You don't need the resistor when you use this as a tail/brake light bulb .....as the brake light system does not have a flasher unit.  You only need the resistor if you want to use this bulb in a turn signal.....and this really isn't a proper bulb for a turn signal....as I have no idea what kind of flashing you would get with the flasher unit trying to turn the bulb on and off....and the bulb trying to flash 3 times.

Superbright does offer this same bulb without the built in flasher....and that would be the proper bulb to use in a turn signal.  Then you either need the resistor to make the bulb flash properly - or you need to convert your mechanical flasher unit to an electronic one.

As Dave noted, nothing needed. Just plug and play.
I made a video of the old and new side by side and thought I had loaded it here previously but couldn't find it. I know where it is so let me see if i can load it maybe tonight. Nothing special. just an honest visual on what it looks like on the S40.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #17 - 01/22/16 at 11:08:39

Here's a link to the video. I can't get it to embed in the post itself. Please excuse the amateur editing...

Stock on left, flashing LED on right. It isn't blinking 3 times real fast each time as my battery was low, but when all is good with the bike it flashes 3 times as expected.
S40 light

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #18 - 01/22/16 at 11:50:04

Stewmills, That bulb should get some attention! Down here people are either talking/texting on phone, high, in a hurry(I guess that means laws don't apply then.), or so old all you see is 2 hands and a little blue head.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #19 - 01/22/16 at 12:07:13

I like to think it helps. I'm in a college town and that means an exponentially higher number of kids hammering on a phone while driving. I still find myself massaging the brake to make it flash more frequently than the one minute interval.  I'd rather them think there is a little tiny disco party underway in my tail light than rear-end me.  Cheesy

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #20 - 01/22/16 at 12:20:26

When I am riding my bicycle I notice ''target fixation'', people look at you and slowly veer towards you, then after they pass, roll back to the middle of the lane. You must remember if they can't see you thru the windshield = you don't exist. Hense the pass and immediately turn right, known as the ''right hook''.
 The 4 lane west of me the weekend ''sportbike'' riders use as their personal race track.  They love to pass close to a bike and ''buzz'' them at over 100 mph.

IP Logged
Srotag

Have  Thumper  
  Will  Travel

Wherever it is warm and sunny
Reply #21 - 01/22/16 at 19:03:11

Thanks for the link and video Stew... bulb ordered.   Cool Cool

2005 S40 Ridin' on the back of our motorhome...Where we go, so goes Thumper Smiley Smiley
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #22 - 01/22/16 at 22:31:25

badwolf wrote on 01/22/16 at 12:20:26:
When I am riding my bicycle I notice ''target fixation'', people look at you and slowly veer towards you, then after they pass, roll back to the middle of the lane. You must remember if they can't see you thru the windshield = you don't exist. Hense the pass and immediately turn right, known as the ''right hook''.
 The 4 lane west of me the weekend ''sportbike'' riders use as their personal race track.  They love to pass close to a bike and ''buzz'' them at over 100 mph.

When riding your bicycle get one of these....
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WG4M146?psc=1

I have thought about attaching one to my savage... or making something similar....
Some of them even blink left or right side for turning...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #23 - 01/22/16 at 23:06:02

Some years back my brother William rigged up an LED stop light attached to the back of his helmet......I am sure it was battery operated and used some kind of wireless technology to make the LED blink when he hit the brakes. I thought it was certainly worthwhile.

If I still rode at night I would take the time to figure out how to do it.

Kenny G

IP Logged
SinglesGoinSteady

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks like Bon
Scott!

From Seattle, now in Savannah.
Reply #24 - 01/26/16 at 17:43:35

Dave wrote on 01/22/16 at 03:59:32:
Here is a link to Amazon, where you can buy the LED lights with the "low beam shield" built in.

http://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Evitek-6500K-Easy-Installed-4500LM/dp/B017M56...

Dave, do you have this installed on yours? Anyone else? Thx - Dave also

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 01/27/16 at 02:41:19

No....I have an 8" diameter headlight and a Silvania Silverstar bulb.  The headlight bucket is from a Yamaha Virago and I don't think there is room in my headlight bucket for the back of the LED light.....the headlight bucket not very deep.

My car headlights are pretty crappy...and the Silverstars last less than a year in the car.

I do believe if you are going to buy LED bulbs....it is important to get ones that have the shields to prevent the glare when using the low beams.

IP Logged
SinglesGoinSteady

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks like Bon
Scott!

From Seattle, now in Savannah.
Reply #26 - 01/27/16 at 09:23:28

Dave wrote on 01/27/16 at 02:41:19:
I do believe if you are going to buy LED bulbs....it is important to get ones that have the shields to prevent the glare when using the low beams.

Roger that Dave.

WWW   IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #27 - 01/29/16 at 20:34:29

Installed 2 15w each led spot lights this afternoon, hooked them into the low beam circuit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191710069951?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=...

Tried them out tonight, can't believe the difference! I can't see the low beam light now unless I cover the spots. They make everyone else's lights look yellow! You know how when someone comes up close behind you at night you can see your shadow ahead of you? Not now!  I can aim them independently, and they must be ok cause no one flashed up at me.  
 I'll post a picture tomorrow, photobucket is down for maintenance.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #28 - 01/30/16 at 07:29:41

How much "wiggle room" does our electrical system have for add-ons like these?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 01/30/16 at 10:23:26

Kris01 wrote on 01/30/16 at 07:29:41:
How much "wiggle room" does our electrical system have for add-ons like these?

Well....badwolf might be able to tell us before too long, as he had added 30 watts of light.

It is reported that we only have 100 Watts of power from the charging system.  If the low beam is 55 watts, and each of the front running lights and tail light is 8 watts each (24 total), and there are 2 lights in the speedometer that are 3 watts each (6 total)....that adds up to 85 watts on the stock bike.  Add 30 watts for the new driving lights, and you are at 115 watts....which doesn't appear to leave anything to charge the battery, run the turn signals or brake light.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 15:21:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › H4 LED headlight blubs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.