Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My savage runs great....once I get it running. (Read 105 times)
bpearsoncfi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

My savage runs great....once I get it running.
01/16/16 at 08:49:07

So I got a savage in July, my first bike and I love it.
It had sat for a couple years when I got it and it wasn't running.  Since then I have flushed the tank, rebuilt the carb, put in the Raptor petcock, changed the oil and put in a new plug.  And it ran great!
But as it got a little cooler out, like 60 degrees, it just didn't want to start.  It would take me 15 minutes of trying but once it started and warmed up, everything was fine and for the rest of the day it would start immediately.  Now it's colder, like 40 out, and it won't catch at all.  The engine turns fine, all the lights come on, but not a single thought of starting.  As if there's no spark.
Battery sat on an overnight charger and showed 14V, but should I still suspect the battery or something else?

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: My savage runs great....once I get it running.
Reply #1 - 01/16/16 at 12:25:45

Do you know how it's jetted? Did you make sure to clean the carb when it was rebuilt?

Try jumping the bike with a known good car battery. DO NOT RUN THE CAR ENGINE! The alternator will overload the poor Savage charging system.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #2 - 01/17/16 at 04:40:33

Sometimes the simple things are overlooked are you pulling the choke out to start the bike?

Bike left outside under a cover or indoors?

Slip on air filter or stock?

If the bike is left outdoors in high humidity weather with just a tarp on the kn filter will get too much moister in it and your bike will not start.

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
bpearsoncfi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/17/16 at 07:02:38

In reply to both replies...
It's stock jetting but with the mod done by shaving down the little white disk when I rebuilt the carb.  It got cleaned really well when the carb was rebuilt.  It's kept in a garage, in Denver, very low humidity.  And it's got the stock air filter.
I'll try jumping it with the car battery (car not running!)

IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #4 - 01/17/16 at 10:14:25

Pull the plug check for spark. Check air filter , drain fuel fresh fuel in , remove timing cover and while spark pulled check compression.

It's a start to get the very basics out of the way before look at jetting I think.

Spark fuel air compression should be one of those

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 01/17/16 at 16:41:15

Dirt can collect down by the plug.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #6 - 01/17/16 at 16:48:13

I guess you really don't have to remove timing cover either to check compression. After removing debris surrounding spark plug ( thanks jog ) put it in 2nd or 3rd gear and give a push.

I'm betting its something real simple like petcock is turned to off. I have done that one before.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 01/17/16 at 17:07:01

The simplest approach is to shoot some ether at it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 01/18/16 at 03:41:06

Chase wrote on 01/17/16 at 16:48:13:
I guess you really don't have to remove timing cover either to check compression. After removing debris surrounding spark plug ( thanks jog ) put it in 2nd or 3rd gear and give a push.

I'm betting its something real simple like petcock is turned to off. I have done that one before.

No reason to give the bike a push.....just hit the starter button.  The compression release only works for one or two revolutions - then it releases.

If you think that fuel supply may be an issue - the easiest thing to do is put a very small amount of fuel through the vacuum port on the side of the carb (the nipple that used to be attached to the vacuum line on the petcock before you switched over to the Raptor petcock).  Don't put too much in....less than a thimble full.  You could also squirt the starting fluid in this port if your spray can accepts one of those small red tubes). Using this port will keep you from having to remove the seat or side panel for access to the air filter box.

« Last Edit: 01/18/16 at 04:55:18 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:24:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My savage runs great....once I get it running.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.