badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
tire balancing beads
01/13/16 at 16:12:43

I finally squeezed a Shinko 230 150/90 -15 on the back of my S40. It did NOT just go on. I had to replace the side rail bolts with button head bolts and re-space the wheel and pulley. It fits under the fender, but not by much.( 6.25" wide ) With the Kaw. pulleys and big ass tire ( 78.25" circumference ) the odometer is now 23% off according to the gps.  Before anyone gets excited about such a big tire on a narrow rim, when I changed the rear pulley I installed a 3.5" aluminum wheel of a 02' Marauder so I could run tubeless. I was not happy the way the tire balanced at home and am thinking about using tire balancing beads to finish the job. I did a search about it and didn't find much. Has anyone got experience with using beads to balance a bike tire? They have glass, ceramic and plastic. I am leaning toward the ceramic after a few vids on UTube.
 On a related note, the bike seems happy now cruising at 60 at under 3400rpm. With one of Super Thumper's Harley mufflers I just love the way it sounds . A 55 to 70 roll-on is still reasonable in 5th, but I'm not trying to race anyone. If I cruse normal roads in the low 50's I am getting mileage in the mid 60's! With gas cheap now and retired, I am looking at some serious trips and mileage this summer.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: tire balancing beads
Reply #1 - 01/13/16 at 17:43:11

Badwolf:

Have you done both front and rear Kawasaki Pulleys?

If so....you, MMRanch and I are the only ones who have done both pulleys.

I don't know for sure what the circumference is on my back tire.....I am running a 130/70-18.

And I agree....the engine seems to be a lot more happy at highway speeds after the pulleys are changed.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 01/13/16 at 18:12:06

Dave, the calculator says 79.059" (or approx. 6.59').

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Srotag

Have  Thumper  
  Will  Travel

Wherever it is warm and sunny
Reply #3 - 01/13/16 at 19:13:08

Have used Dynabeads (ceramics) in my motorhome tires for about 15 years.  When I put Dunlop 404s on Thumper I put the beads in them.

Zero tire vibration in hands...and got rid of the ugly lead weights that came stock.

No regrets ever...they work. Cool  Cool  Cool

2005 S40 Ridin' on the back of our motorhome...Where we go, so goes Thumper Smiley Smiley
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #4 - 01/13/16 at 21:12:10

Dave, I have done both pulleys. And yes, as a matter of fact I DO just happen to have a metal lathe in my carport. It comes in handy when I am tinkering. If you are running a tire with a 79" circumference you would be geared just a little higher than me. Do a roll-out measure just for the hell of it. Do you have any clearance problems bottoming out on the fender? I put a 3/8" rubber spacer over the shock rods just in case and jacked-up the preload one notch. What did you do for a speedo? I did a overlay on the stock one and marked new lines as per the gps. Built a covered holder over the handlebar clamps to hold a android phone with a gps speedo app that works very well. I can adjust the color and brightness to my whims at night.
 Srotag, Thanks for the input on the beads. I am going to try the ceramic ones 2oz in the rear and 1oz in the front.(Damm that just sounded like some kind of code for a drug deal. No officer, I'm talking about balancing my tires.) Good luck with the 404's I just wore out a 130/90 - 15 on mine. I was happy with the handling and grip, but only got 7400 miles of easy cruising on it. About the same as on my PC800 a few years ago now that I think about it. When I took it off I found a 3" wire nail thru it! Don't know how long it had been there, but it never lost any air! I'm glad I went tubeless. I am hoping for 10 to 12 thousand on this 230 then I'll try a 777 HD.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 01/13/16 at 22:51:03

I've never really considered the beads. This got me thinking.
Just Why do they work?
https://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-100-dyna-beads.aspx

Not sure I can quite envision the inside of the tire at seventy.
I'm just wondering what effect they have in possibly damping some of the road induced fluctuations.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 01/14/16 at 03:38:00

Badwolf:

I have longer shocks on my bike, and no rear fender.  And for those who wonder....the double Kawasaki pulley conversion moves the rear axle back almost to the limit of the travel....so the front of the swing arm has more clearance for the taller tires.

I have a GPS speedometer/tach combination from Speed Hut - so no problems with getting accurate speed readings.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 01/14/16 at 05:05:37

Since you have a tubeless rim - the best method is to put the wheel rim onto your balancer prior to mounting the tire, and find the heavy spot in the rim.  Then when you mount your tire put the paint dot at the spot where your rim was heaviest.......it is not always where the valve stem is located.  This will reduce the amount of weight needed to balance the tire/wheel assembly.  (Unfortunately you can't do this on a tire with a tube, and you just have to assume the heavy spot is located at the valve stem).

Since you most likely don't want to dismount the tire....some folks have broken the beads down and rotated the tire 90 degrees, and then checked the balance.  Find the spot that requires the least amount of weight to balance the wheel assembly....by trial and error.

I have used DYNA Beads.....but I can't say for sure that they helped.  I put them in a car that had a front wheel vibration that the tire dealer could not correct.....and it turned out the problem was the front wheel bearings were getting loose and allowing the wheel to wobble at 72mph.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #8 - 01/14/16 at 08:08:34

Dave, Your bike looks sweet! I don't think I would want to tour on it thou, to each his own. I like the BIG headlight, and is that a bigger disc on the front?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 01/14/16 at 08:33:21

I have not taken my bike on any "tours" - but it has been on several trips to the Tail of the Dragon.  We can sometimes ride for 10 hours in a day - but since the speeds on some of the roads are slow, and we stop every 100 miles for fuel and a leg stretch.....we don't ever seem to get more than 250 miles in a day.  I did modify the seat and put a bit more padding in it after the first 2 years.....that made it a bit more comfy on the long rides.

The big brake is the one that ShawnRYCA has for sale in the Marketplace section.  It works really well!

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #10 - 01/14/16 at 09:43:47

I think I have got how to post photos, here goes..

you are posting a link to your library rather than a single image -v1

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #11 - 01/14/16 at 09:46:54

Well that didn't work. I think there too high a res. I'll degrade them and try again.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #12 - 01/14/16 at 11:08:23

How about this..
the big ass tire

side view

old deflated, new inflated

nail coming thru

whole bike ready to go

As you can see by the pictures from this afternoon, FL. weather (mid 60's) aint bad for January!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 18:28:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › tire balancing beads

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.