Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Poor idle/Engine quits when throttle closed (Read 294 times)
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: Poor idle/Engine quits when throttle closed
Reply #15 - 01/19/16 at 04:17:02

That probably means it's still too big. Or, there might be some other problem. I'm thinking still too big for the application.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #16 - 01/19/16 at 10:46:37

How does it run without the air filter on? Are valves adjusted to .004" in and ex? Do you have the stock vacuum gas petcock or the raptor replacement? What does the compression read? Does it have a nice strong spark?

Check all that stuff then post your findings.  Huh

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 01/19/16 at 13:23:38

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/13/16 at 10:13:56:
Just remember that the more time spent just barely idling, on the sidestand, the less the cam is happy. If you can't get the idle speed up, at least get the bike standing up as vertical as you can safely.

I'm also wondering what happens when you adjust the idle speed up.
As suggested above
I would try it without the air filter, and if it attaches with a rubber boot, you have to be careful that it doesn't cover any of the passages in the carburetor inlet.

At idle the vacuum is higher than at higher RPM,, but the petcock can do screwy things.

How old is the gas?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
delaPlanet
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 01/22/16 at 14:27:59

Thanks, guys -

Savageman, that's a lot of stuff to check, but it's all a great idea.  I'm new at rebuilding/tuning bikes, so that is probably all going to take me a long time to get through.  

As far as trying it without the air filter, I will do that - good plan.  The Ryca kit is weird b/c the carb only JUST fits in the frame with the air filter on it...maybe it's not sealing that well.  

Also - I have the Raptor petcock installed. I figured I might as well just get rid of the petcock as a variable a few weeks ago. The gas is new.

Idle speed - I keep playing with idle speed: It helps to keep the bike running when I pull in the clutch/coast with it...but the RPM still drops really low when I do that after a hard acceleration.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 01/22/16 at 18:05:45

Mine died many times when I was riding hard and shut down quick.
The idle was too low.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #20 - 01/22/16 at 20:27:27

Dela,

I would clean the Transient Enrichment Valve if your engine is shutting down when you twist the throttle shut.

Kenny G

IP Logged
delaPlanet
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 01/24/16 at 15:57:36

So - she seems to run better with the air filter off...

What is that telling me?

There is still an RPM drop after I roll off the throttle/pull the clutch in...it almost dies sometimes - maybe I need a new TEV diaphragm.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #22 - 01/24/16 at 17:02:48

Dela,

You only have to remove 3 screws to take the diaphragm out for inspection. DO NOT use carburetor cleaner to clean the rubber diaphragm.
Use warm soapy water and be careful not to tear the diaphragm.

When you remove the screws there is a spring behind the cover, watch that it doesn't get away from you.

Before you reassemble the carb, drop by ACE Hardware and get 3 M4 x 10 MM Allen Head Screws. Stainless steel screws are preferable but anything will be better than the Mikuni screws.

Kenny G

Transient_Enrichment_Valve.jpg
  IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #23 - 01/24/16 at 21:16:54

Take some pictures of the inside of that air filter. I suspect it is blocking some air passage ways. Also I see fine dirt in the air cut off valve. Is there dirt in the opening when you take the diaphragm off? Did you blow out all the passages in the carburetor when you cleaned the inside of it?

IP Logged
delaPlanet
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 01/30/16 at 14:45:55

That pic of the TEV is not a pic of MY TEV - the one on my bike looks new.  Also, the air filter is a K&N "pancake" style filter - it's brand new and totally clean inside/outside besides the K&N oil.

IP Logged
delaPlanet
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 01/30/16 at 15:56:57

I'm so close to having this bike running well...but this last issue is a real pain to figure out.  The bike idle dips really low and sometimes it dies when I close the throttle.  It's worse when it's warmed up.  Here is a video:

https://vimeo.com/153636240

IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #26 - 01/30/16 at 19:52:41

All it can be is a plugged idle circuit on the carburetor. Take it off and disassemble it and let it soak in some berryman carburetor cleaner overnight then rinse it off with hot water and blow it out with compressed air. That carburetor cleaner in a can is not to good for cleaning small passages inside the carb. Make sure there is no crap in the pilot jet (small hole). Make sure you blow out all the internal passages with air. Also check the float level when reassembling.
There is a small screen filter on the float needle seat. Make sure it isn't clogged.
Do all that and it should run fine.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 01/31/16 at 09:27:04

It is not a plugged up idle circuit - but the idle fuel/air mixture could be just a little bit on the lean side.  Try opening the idle fuel mixture screw a 1/4 turn and see if it improves....try an additional 1/4 if it doesn't.  If the smooth idle mixture requires you to have the mixture screw out more than 2.5 turns, it is in need of a larger pilot jet.  A 50.0 pilot jet normally works fine with the stock air filter...sometimes a 52.5 if you are at lower elevations.  Seldom is a #55 ever needed.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:31:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Poor idle/Engine quits when throttle closed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.