Spark ? (Read 75 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Spark ?
01/11/16 at 05:32:01

I am not sure, however, after putting in a new battery my bike runs more smooth. I notice when is decelerate I don't get that surging anymore, and it idles way better.
I thought I read here that this girl won't charge at idle, so I am guessing we are borrowing reserve juice from the battery then?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: Spark ?
Reply #1 - 01/11/16 at 07:17:58

A fresh battery makes everything work better.  I know it is almost time for a new one when my one turn signal doesn't blink at the same rate.    Huh

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/11/16 at 07:41:58

Most motorcycles don't really charge until about 2,000 rpm. Found that out when I was commuting about 2-3 miles on my BMW. Went thru 3 batteries under warranty, even though charging system checked out good @ dealership.

I'd start the bike (energy drain #1), ride to work...start bike to ride to lunch (drain #2), the again to ride home (#3). Those energy drains put my battery into any "energy deficit" that was not recharged by a short, stop-&-go ride. On battery #3, I put the 1amp charger on the bike every night for 30-60 minutes (this was in the pre-Battery-Tender days). That battery lasted for over 5 years, at which point I sold the BMW.

Since then, I've installed a battery charger/tender pigtail on every bike I've owned. Besides making the battery last longer, I'm fairly certain it alleviates some strain on the charging system, too.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 01/11/16 at 07:57:55

Mine is pretty much a daily rider, 23 total miles or so. Most of the speed is above 35 mph, to 60 mph. I guess that is why she went 4 years without a charge or problem. I even ran the water so low the metal was exposed  Tongue

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 01/11/16 at 08:01:28

My '08 has its original battery. I put the tender on it every now and then and have had no problems with the battery.

What's the average life of these batteries and should I be getting nervous about being stranded on the side of the road?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 01/11/16 at 08:55:55

Kris01 wrote on 01/11/16 at 08:01:28:
My '08 has its original battery. I put the tender on it every now and then and have had no problems with the battery.

What's the average life of these batteries and should I be getting nervous about being stranded on the side of the road?

Until last year - my 2000 year Honda ST1100 had the original factory battery in it......that was 15 years!  The previous owner did use a battery tender.  The dealer told me that the replacement batteries never last as long as the original Honda (Yuasa) batteries.

I believe that most folks plan on batteries to last about 4 years.  If your battery is allowed to go flat and stay flat for an extended period - you are not going to get a battery to last a long while.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/11/16 at 09:28:09

Automotive & (especially) motorcycle lead-acid batteries don't do well when run down flat. (Also, a dead battery can freeze, possibly damaging the internal plates &/or cracking the case.) I have NO experience with the AGM batteries, though.

Your 23-mile commute should keep the battery mostly charged, as long as there are no long idling periods, say, lots of long stop lights.

I have a 2001 Toyota Highlander, bought used, & forgot to turn off the map light once, completely draining the battery. It came back when trickle charged, but cranked the starter more slowly than before. When load tested @ Carquest, it failed. When we put in new Carquest battery, the parts store owner said, "Hey, this is the factory OEM battery!". It had lasted for 12 years, but that one run-down finally killed it.

IP Logged
norcalscot
YaBB Newbies

Where there's a hill
there's a way

Northern California
Reply #7 - 01/11/16 at 09:28:31

My battery was low on fluids and I had starting problems. Once I topped it off again the problem was fixed. Just this past month I have only ridden the bike 2 or 3 times and last time I tried to start it I had problems again. A night on the charger and it fired right up. Guess it's time to replace mine too...

2009 Suzuki S40 : Raptor Petcock + Harley Soft Tail FLSTC FXCW muffler
  IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/11/16 at 20:31:49

This inexpensive battery hydrometer/tester ($2):

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Everstart-991W-Everstart-Battery-Accessory/16880587

will help you test the individual cells of the battery, & a voltmeter can test the overall charge:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Battery-Tester-GBT-500A/44642720

Yes, it's possible that you need a new battery, but these tools will verify The battery's actual condition before spending $45-65 on a new one. Also, if you do buy a battery and fill it with the acid, it should be fully charged before installing it. The $2 hydrometer will tell you if the new battery is fully charged by how many spheres float (directions on its use are included).

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 01/11/16 at 22:54:24

Every time they replace the battery in my pacemaker I do more, easier. I'm faster, funnier, sexier, tougher, pretty much same effect as beer had on me when I was young.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #10 - 01/12/16 at 03:51:34

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/11/16 at 22:54:24:
Every time they replace the battery in my pacemaker I do more, easier. I'm faster, funnier, sexier, tougher, pretty much same effect as beer had on me when I was young.

That noggin knock really distorted your perception pal.....  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:28:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Spark ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.