Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mikuni VM or TM series swap out. (Read 146 times)
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Mikuni VM or TM series swap out.
01/08/16 at 20:01:14

Has anyone installed a Mikuni VM36 or TM36 carburetor on their bike yet? Did it improve performance and the deceleration popping?

The VM36mm is only around $100.00 new. But I don't know what main jet or pilot jet to use or just leave that alone? The VM series has a easy swap main jet port on the float bowl.

Anyone?? Huh

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Mikuni VM or TM series swap out.
Reply #1 - 01/09/16 at 03:07:48

I have the VM36.  It doesn't make the popping go away-but you can control that with both the stock curb and the VM36 by not closing the throttle completely when you shift or decelerate.  

The VM36 is affordable - but it often comes with jetting and a slide cutaway that is for 2 stroke bikes.  Lancer has the proper jetting listed in his thread on the carb.

The VM36 won't make a stock engine any faster -but the engine reacts to throttle changes a tad sooner.

You will need a new adapter for the cylinder to attach the carb, and a special throttle cable.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #2 - 01/11/16 at 16:44:49

I am running a TM36 on Cafe ala Carte'

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1378864265/30

At the time I couldn't find anyone on the forum that was running a standard TM (with no pumper).

I tuned it with a digital air/ fuel mixture gauge.  Went through a boat load of jets, needles, and slides until I got it dialed in the way I wanted it.  Now the jetting is very nice.  Definitely still has the closed throttle pop.  If you ever run with a fast response air/ fuel gauge you  will understand why it pops.  close the throttle quickly at much speed at all and the mixture goes way lean.

As far as performance I agree with Dave on all he said on the VM.  The TM is just the next generation slightly higher performance carb and will increase the low throttle opening response.  This has built in what the UFO does for the VM.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/16/16 at 13:43:30

A couple years ago I looked up the prices to see what it would cost if you got a VM carb with teh wrong set of jets.

The Needle costs $ 7.04, the Needle Jet costs $ 16.99, the Slide costs $ 48.36, the Needle valve $ 23.05, the Air Jet $ 4.29.  The Main and Pilot jets are about $ 4.00 - $ 6.00....depending on where you get them, and you will need a few assorted sizes to get the carb jetted correctly for your bike.

So it can be very expensive to change a carb over to the correct slide, and Needle Jet/needle if you get a carb with the wrong stuff.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #4 - 01/16/16 at 14:51:24

I second what Dave said.  I bought my TM for $65 brand new from a MC dealer on Ebay that had a customer order it and then not want it.  In the end I sunk way more into it than it was worth but I wrote it off as a serious education in jetting.  I finally bought an A/F gage and then ran over 29 jetting runs on the street.  I went through 3 slides ($45 each x 2) several needle jets (4x$15),  4 needles (3x $6.50), hand full of mains, and pilots along with I played with choke (enrichener) jets, and air jets in the bell mouth.  Oh and add $150 for the AFI gage

I got a hell of an education and I got very good at changing jets! Shocked

I followed Mikuni's guidance of marking the throttle at each 1/8 opening of the slide.  When they say another circuit comes on at x/8 opening they aren't kidding.  They are correct that every circuit will affect others but they do dominate their throttle range.  It is amazing how fast you can go from way lean in one range to way rich in the next and all we are talking are 1/8 throttle open changes.  I don't think anyone has a carb truly jetted well just by the seat of the pants or sound.  Not if you are starting from the ground up like I was.

Also you won't believe what a difference air temp can make to your A/F numbers unless you run a gage.  Mine was digital which is the worst thing you can give an engineer....too much precision in the measuring instrument and you are turning knobs on a stone age machine (carburator).  You can only get it so good but it is amazing how good you can get it when all the right jets and slide come together.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 01/17/16 at 04:17:46

I agree....the O2 sensor is really a learning experience. I used one to set up my stock carb, and later my VM carb.  

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1348491882

My gauge has a bar graph, and is a narrow band sensor - so I had a limited display range.  It did however work very well to adjust the carb and make the bike run very well.  One of the things I was surprised to learn was that the fuel mixture goes lean when you close the throttle between shifts or when slowing down (decelerating).....and is the cause of the popping/banging when you slow down.  I had originally figured the high vacuum would cause too much fuel to flow - but it turns out the only fuel flowing is from the Pilot Circuit and it is not enough to provide a mixture that the spark plug can ignite,  The cure turned out to be holding the throttle open just a bit to allow a little bit of fuel to come out the Jet Needle.

A member named Halvor beat me by a few weeks withe the first O2 sensor thread  If you read the thread be aware that he had some trouble with the readings at first, and he is using a VM carb so that the jet sizes he chooses will not work on the stock CV carb.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1346078011/0

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 01/17/16 at 12:05:01

Narrow band sensors are not that accurate. It's probably good enough though for a stock carb. You won't get near the accuracy of FI with this dinosaur carb.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:25:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mikuni VM or TM series swap out.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.