CA Model Tank Venting (Read 131 times)
AZJim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gold Canyon AZ
CA Model Tank Venting
01/06/16 at 15:52:56

I purchased a 2011 s40 that needs some work and I purchased a 2009 s40 to ride. The 2009, I am finding out (now) appears to be a CA model.  It started out dying after a short ride and using the PRI position on the petcock would get it going again. I decided to check the gas cap by using the one from the 2011. The keyways on the two tanks are different. I then took the plastic key-like part from the 2009 (CA) and put it on the 2011 cap.  Now I can use the 2011 cap on the 2009.  So far I have not had further problems.  I did order the 660 petcock, but
have not installed it. I really wanted to find the problem. So, my question is: Get another gas cap; Try to fix the 2009 tank vent system; or.....??  I have not pulled the tank to follow the tank vent hose (that I think is under there).  I live in AZ so lots of options I guess.
I really appreciate all the info I have gleaned from this site so far and I am learning a lot each time I visit.  Thanks AZJim  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: CA Model Tank Venting
Reply #1 - 01/07/16 at 03:05:46

As you seem to be aware - the CA model does not have a vented cap, and the tank has a vent hose that is routed through a canister to scavenge the vapors and route them to an extra fitting on the carb....which then routes them into the intake so they can be burned.  If you are ever in doubt about the vacuum causing the fuel flow problem - just loosen the cap and see if the bike will run normal for a few minutes.....it will take several minutes and a few miles before enough vacuum builds up in the fuel tank to disrupt fuel flow.

The stock vacuum petcock is more apt to be the problem, as the vent system seldom causes any problems.  Occasionally a non-CA model will get the vent in the fuel cap clogged.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 01/07/16 at 07:38:29

The vent line runs past the left side of the carb.  It's about 3/16", just pull it loose at the break in the line and it's vented.  The line continues behind the airbox down below the swingarm to a carbon cannister.  Then back up to the carb.

The gas cap has a 1 way vent to inlet air as well.

WWW   IP Logged
AZJim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gold Canyon AZ
Reply #3 - 01/07/16 at 15:10:22

Thanks guys for the info. When I first rode the '09 CA s40 after I shut it off, I would hear a squeaking sound from the gas cap. I thought it was strange because the '11 model never did that. That is when I thought it might be a vacuum issue in the gas tank. Then I read about the petcock issue and tried to decide which was the culprit.  If I disconnect the tube, then I can put the original gas cap back on and see how it goes. It's been raining the past few days which hampers my troubleshooting. Yeah, I'm an old woose, just getting started on my road riding.
Thanks again, I'll get it resolved and learn a lot along the way.      

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #4 - 01/08/16 at 07:46:07

squeaking form the gas cap definitely sounds like a venting issue
On my older bikes I've often had to fix issues like that
yes, you should be able to go back to the stock gas cap if you pull that vent line off the canister

IP Logged
AZJim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gold Canyon AZ
Reply #5 - 01/12/16 at 15:15:29

I have put the original gas cap (CA) back on and located the tank vent line.The easy place to separate it is under the tank. I could not raise the tank enough to get to it, but I know where it is now. I had not had a failure while using the vented gas cap, however I thought of one other variable that I need to consider if thinking tank vacuum as being the culprit.  A full tank has less open space therefore could determine the time to failure vs a low tank.  So I've found, what I hope, is the likely sources of my problem.There is so much info about the "petcock" that I decided to do the petcock test.  Having the gas cap back to original and the petcock vacuum line plugged (both ways), I went out for my usual short ride.This was another successful run......no problems.  I'll continue. like the test says" to run in that configuration for a tank or two and see what happens.  Thanks to all those who responded or posted info on this forum.  It has been a comfort to have such experience available to me as I learn the s40, alone, here in my garage. We shall see how it goes?
Thanks  AZJim  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 01/12/16 at 18:35:55

The petcock is a known issue that creates often confusing symptoms. I would conclude the test by dropping it in the scrap heap. The Raptor petcock is dependable.
The needle/seat/floats can betray you.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
AZJim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gold Canyon AZ
Reply #7 - 01/18/16 at 18:03:25

You're probably right Justin. Being a newbie at this, I really wanted to know what the true problem is/was.  I'm beginning to think it may be other than what I was thinking. I have not had a failure since I tested it with the other gas cap and now with the vacuum line plugged off. I guess it's possible the carb had some issues. All in all, I'm happy to be making progress, in that it's running pretty well. My goal is to get this problem resolved, then work on the other s40, which is a bit more major.  Jim    

IP Logged
AZJim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gold Canyon AZ
Reply #8 - 02/08/16 at 19:14:37

I have had the vacuum line back to the original configuration for 60 miles with no problems. Tonight I took a ride and it started to cut out once again. I switched it to "Pri" and it cleared up.  I had plenty of gas so I new it was not needing "Res".  I guess it's time to install the Raptor petcock. I have the petcock and the vacuum plug, so better late than never!!  Thanks to all those who gave feedback. I helped me sort things out.  I hope this one is out of the way and I can get on to the BIG job.  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 02/09/16 at 04:45:57

And....be sure to get the proper Yamaha part number  5LP-24500-01-00.  If you are buying it on eBay....don't be suckered into buying a Chinese copy that says "RAPTOR".  If you don't see a photo of a white box with Yamaha printed on it....or they don't state that it is a genuine Yamaha part....don't buy it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-YAMAHA-YFM660R-Raptor-660-FUEL-PETCOCK-GAS-TA...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-5LP-24500-01-00-5LP-24500-01-00-FUEL-thingy-AS...

5sAAOSwGvhT49F9&vxp=mtr" target="_blank">http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-Yamaha-2000-2007-TTR90-TTR-90-petcock-fuel-gas-valve-shutoff-/322000021583?hash=item4af8b2684f:gCheesy5sAAOSwGvhT49F9&vxp=mtr

Here is an example of a Chinese copy.  (No box...no part number)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2002-2003-2004-2005-YAMAHA-RAPTOR-660-ATV-FUEL-P...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
AZJim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gold Canyon AZ
Reply #10 - 02/09/16 at 06:42:46

I had read a lot about it on the forum, so when I ordered it, I got the right one.   Thanks for the advice anyway. It's better to be safe than sorry.  I'll order another one, now, for the other s40 so I won't go through this when I get it running again.  >>AZJim

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:30:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › CA Model Tank Venting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.