Front Fork Boots? (Read 219 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Front Fork Boots?
01/06/16 at 15:41:16

Has anyone put boots, or whatever they're called, on their Savage front forks in order to keep out the dirt? How are they installed?

As some of you know, I need to fix my leaky forks, and the problem may be caused by dirt. I ride in conditions better suited to dual sports, crossing dirt, mud, and gravel before I even hit the pavement. What do I do?

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: Front Fork Boots?
Reply #1 - 01/06/16 at 15:46:14

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 01/07/16 at 02:12:25

pg wrote on 01/06/16 at 15:46:14:

↑ That plus this http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1298159607/0#0 and your ready to get started.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #3 - 01/07/16 at 07:57:39

Yup, you gotta disassemble the forks to get real boots on them
I would say, however, it's worth it, especially if you gotta use your S40 as a dirt bike

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #4 - 01/07/16 at 17:26:42

Art,

Do you really have to disassemble the forks to put the boots on or just drop the fork tubes?

Kenny

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #5 - 01/08/16 at 07:37:45

Dropping the tubes would do it , to me that's still disassembling, guess I shoulda said partially disassemble

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 01/08/16 at 07:46:08

Art Webb wrote on 01/08/16 at 07:37:45:
Dropping the tubes would do it , to me that's still disassembling, guess I shoulda said partially disassemble

I suppose you could leave the front wheel/fender assembled - but to drop the forks out the bottom of the yokes you would either have to raise the front of the bike way up in the air - or remove the springs and let the tubes drop down to the bottom of their travel....or a combination of both.  I would count on having a friend or two over to help juggle all the parts if you leave the front wheel attached to the forks.  You also need to remove the brake caliper, loosen the turn signal clamps, etc.

And if cheapnewb24 is going to replace the leaky fork seal.....he will have to take the forks apart anyhow.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 01/08/16 at 07:53:17

Speaking of that
cheap, have you tried the milk bottle fork seal cleaning tool another member posted yet?

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #8 - 01/08/16 at 09:12:18

Art & Dave,

I had planned on removing the front wheel, brake caliper & fender, but I didn't want to take the fork tubes apart . I will get around to this project someday, for now I have the split boots on for appearance and they look OK.

Kenny G

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #9 - 01/09/16 at 06:42:49

Art Webb wrote on 01/08/16 at 07:53:17:
Speaking of that
cheap, have you tried the milk bottle fork seal cleaning tool another member posted yet?

Not yet.

I'll have to replace/add fluid somehow. I gather that is difficult to do with the forks on the bike.  Huh

Maybe I can buy one of those syringe thingy's? Huh

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #10 - 01/09/16 at 07:36:06

Unless they changed something on this bike, it's always just been remove the weight from the front end, unscrew the cap on the fork tube and pour in the oil.

I havent had to do that yet so I don't have experience on this particular bike.  I don't know on this bike if there is any spring tension against the cap when the front wheel is off the ground.  Someone else out here can tell you for sure.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 01/09/16 at 10:31:29

Steve H wrote on 01/09/16 at 07:36:06:
Unless they changed something on this bike, it's always just been remove the weight from the front end, unscrew the cap on the fork tube and pour in the oil.

I havent had to do that yet so I don't have experience on this particular bike.  I don't know on this bike if there is any spring tension against the cap when the front wheel is off the ground.  Someone else out here can tell you for sure.

There is.

Clean the seal area. Add the fork boots, I like Daystar brand, they do not rot in the sun like Emgo and other Taiwan trash tend to. While the tubes are off the bike (necessary to install boots), turn them upside down overnight to drain, refill before installing.

Correct way to refill is to use a measuring cup or similar to add just the right amount of fork oil.

My way is to pull the springs out, fill the tubes to the top, extend upper tubes, drop in the springs, install on the bike. Adds several ounces of extra fluid, a stiffer ride with a lot less dive. NOTE--- can increase pressure enough that an already compromised seal will fail.

If you plan to ride a lot, or aggressively, fork service becomes a yearly task. Savage/S40 forks are a scaled down 1950s unit, the fork oil does not hold up. I usually ride 30-40K miles a year, so, your results may (will) vary.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #12 - 01/09/16 at 10:41:18

WD,

Thanks for the comprehensive information on the S40 forks. I didn't know that fork oil needed changed very often and probably wouldn't have bothered when I get around to putting the boots on.

Daystar Fork Boots 58 Series is the correct boot for our bikes?

Kenny G

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #13 - 01/09/16 at 21:02:49

cheapnewb24 wrote on 01/09/16 at 06:42:49:
I'll have to replace/add fluid somehow. I gather that is difficult to do with the forks on the bike.  Huh

It only takes a few minutes to pop the forks out. Then you can tip them upside down. You'll be fine.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 01/09/16 at 21:50:09

Kenny G wrote on 01/09/16 at 10:41:18:
WD,

Thanks for the comprehensive information on the S40 forks. I didn't know that fork oil needed changed very often and probably wouldn't have bothered when I get around to putting the boots on.

Daystar Fork Boots 58 Series is the correct boot for our bikes?

Kenny G

Whatever first 38 or 39 millimeter tubes.

Fork oil is usually good to around 30k miles. I ride like a bat out of he11, year round. Twice yearly changes are not unusual for me.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:38:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front Fork Boots?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.