Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 61
Send Topic Print
Android/Chrome/Fuchsia vs Windows/Polaris (Read 15390 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Android vs Windows 10
Reply #15 - 01/19/16 at 03:35:29

And I think we can all agree that MS trick of continuing to just pushing their custom ordered up "traditional PC/laptop only" statistics around to justify themselves really isn't fooling anybody any more.    The world is much more "Other" than MS ......

First real comparison figures ever I saw said MS was only 14% of total computing devices, then the Apple and Android total device slices all grew so much that MS was suddenly only 10% of total devices.    

Wearables will push MS even lower this upcoming year.    Wearables is taking off more and more and that is a whole other zone that MS doesn't get to play in as Android was there from the beginning.

It is hard to separate the huge numerical growth of Organic Android from the actual real hard count shrinkage of MS's real PC/Laptop realm.    Both trends are real and both are going on right now.

Which explains why MS has to put out such stinky funky numbers to say they are still "growing" and "succeeding with Win10".

Something interesting that has been said just this past week is that MS's pet vendors still have warehouses full of moldy Win 8.1 stuff from last year and year before that which has to be reflashed to Win 10 or else sold off really really cheap right about now as the Intel processors are starting to get all kinda out of date in the old moldy warehouse stuff.    

As are the batteries.

The glut of old Windows warehouse stuff is really really hurting new Win10 PC sales as you can easily get last years "upgradeable" item for less than half the price of this year's Win 10 stuff.

And as Win 10 continues to stay stalled, then the app guys will hold off writing new apps for it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #16 - 01/19/16 at 05:50:32

And more news about how Microsoft is trying to push Windows 10 down everyone's throats.

Windows 10 will only work on newest PCs, says Microsoft

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/01/18/windows-10-will-only-work-on-newest-pc...

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #17 - 01/19/16 at 07:33:59

And they wonder why their market share is going down

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 01/19/16 at 08:14:00

12Bravo wrote on 01/19/16 at 05:50:32:
And more news about how Microsoft is trying to push Windows 10 down everyone's throats.

Windows 10 will only work on newest PCs, says Microsoft

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/01/18/windows-10-will-only-work-on-newest-pc...

even bigger bombshell...

Quote:
Microsoft just dropped a bombshell. Older versions of Windows will not be supported on the newest chips from Intel and others.

The crux of a statement from Terry Myerson, executive vice president at Microsoft, is that new processors won’t run older versions of Windows reliably – and won’t be supported. “Going forward, as new silicon generations are introduced, they will require the latest Windows platform at that time for support,” Myerson wrote, in a blog post addressed to "enterprise customers," aka, businesses.

So, in the future, don’t expect to be able to run Windows 7, for example, on the newest 6th Generation Intel Core “Skylake” processors that are shipping in systems today. Maybe more importantly, future processors will be supported on Windows 10 only. Some of those future chips include Intel’s upcoming “Kaby Lake” silicon, Qualcomm’s upcoming “8996” chip, and AMD’s upcoming “Bristol Ridge” processor, Myerson wrote.  

Are they trying to kill off all new sales TOO!?

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 01/19/16 at 08:45:31

Voice from the Future:    It wasn't future FUD, they cranked it up two days later in a small trial market area to see how well it worked.   The screams and fear were amazing, very very satisfying to the Borg who were manning the attempt.

I'd translate this as a sorta backwards attempt at some "future FUD" to get you to consider buying some new EFI Secure Boot locked down Win 10 software and a new Intel processor permanently locked down together in a new machine, one that CANNOT be dual booted or rolled into an alternative OS like a Linux or an Android.

This is MS's vision for milking you out into the future -- locking you totally into having to use their "software services", be it Win 10 OS or Office 360, and charging you for it monthly or yearly.

========================================

In a while, a drivers based security issue will be "discovered" that only upgrading to Win 10 will allow the Win 7 user to continue to use his system at all.   Then this old processor/drivers based issue will go from EFI based FUD to EFI based threat to EFI based lock down, forcing the purchase of a new totally locked down machine.

Apple has done this a few times in the historical past, and it caused my daughter to go to Ubuntu on her favorite old Mac desktop machine when Apple in essence locked the hardware out of an upgrade to the Mac OS and in the next year dropped support for the old hardware completely.

She is still using the old hardware using Ubuntu and still isn't buying any new Apple products any more -- she found that Linux worked very well for her and she likes it.

=========================================

Why do this now?   I mean why do it now before the free Win 10 roll out is even half way completed?

CHECK THIS MONTH'S UPGRADE PERCENTAGE FIGURES WHEN THEY COME OUT, THE WIN 10 ROLL OUT IS BEGINNING TO STALL TO A HALT.

"Engineered managed threat & fear" is simply another item in the toolbox that MS uses to motivate unwilling users to do the upgrade and to lock themselves in going forward.

« Last Edit: 01/19/16 at 10:22:47 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 01/19/16 at 08:53:58

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

A new wrinkle in the Win 10 saga

Why can't I activate Windows 10?

If you received a message saying that Windows 10 couldn't be activated, here are a few reasons why it might not have worked, and some things you can try to fix the problem. For more info about activation errors not listed on this page, see Get help with Windows 10 activation errors.

For additional help with the activation process, go to the product activation article.

You upgraded to Windows 10 for free from Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or Windows 8.1 Update

If you upgraded to Windows 10 for free and ended up in a non-activated state, try following these steps:

Go to Start Start button icon, then select Settings > Update & security > Activation.
If your activation state says Connect to the Internet to activate Windows, it might mean you're not connected to the Internet or the activation servers are busy.

If you're connected to the Internet, Windows 10 will be automatically activated. You can also select Activate to try and manually activate Windows. If the activation servers are busy, you might need to wait a while and then try again later.

If your activation state says Windows is not activated, select Go to Store, and check to see if a valid license for Windows is available for your device.

If a license isn't available, you'll need to buy Windows from the Store or go back to your previous version of Windows, make sure the previous version is activated, and then upgrade to Windows 10.

Yep, they got you going and coming.    Pay me time again -- you were slack and didn't  go on line and register your software 8 years ago back when it wasn't even a requirement that you HAD to do so.    Or you are trying to re-install an old version of Windows on a more modern machine.    

Heretic, to the burning stake with him ......

« Last Edit: 01/19/16 at 20:06:04 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #21 - 01/19/16 at 10:06:42

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/63943/microsoft-finds-another-way...

So Microsoft is altering its support policy, not just for one or two Windows versions, but for ALL existing Windows versions in general. And I am reasonably sure this has never happened before.

Here are the changes Microsoft is announcing.

Going forward, new hardware generations will require the latest version of Windows. “As new silicon generations are introduced, they will require the latest Windows platform at that time for support,” Microsoft says. “This enables us to focus on deep integration between Windows and the silicon, while maintaining maximum reliability and compatibility with previous generations of platform and silicon. For example, Windows 10 will be the only supported Windows platform on Intel’s upcoming “Kaby Lake” silicon, Qualcomm’s upcoming “8996” silicon, and AMD’s upcoming “Bristol Ridge” silicon.

Only devices on the Skylake support list will be supported on Windows 7 and 8.1. And even then only through July 17, 2017. “During this new 18-month support period, these systems should be upgraded to Windows 10 to continue receiving support after the period ends,” Microsoft says. “After July 2017, the most critical Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 security updates will be addressed for these configurations, and will be released if the update does not risk the reliability or compatibility of the Windows 7/8.1 platform on other devices.”

This threat is aimed at BUSINESS USERS who are not moving off of Win 7 because they don't need to move off of Win 7.

Yeah, you can refuse -- but not if you HAVE to buy new hardware that is EFI Secure Boot locked into Win 10.  

Seriously, you need to ASK before you buy anything nowadays, because once MS has seen you signed in on an EFI locked down machine -- that's it for you buddy.    Go up a post and read what you see from then one when you try to use Windows anything else on that same machine.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #22 - 01/19/16 at 13:40:28

To test your theory... I have started a post to Microsoft.... the drivers for my Xbox rockcandy controller only worked up untill windows 10.... they no longer work, I am joystick kinda guy when it comes to flight sims and my old precision pro doesn't work with win10, nor does the Xbox controller( which i very rarely use).  So the test begins.... so far her are the email messages...

Question
⦁      
Applies to
Windows
Windows 10
Hardware & drivers
PC
Windows 10 drivers aren't available
OROrphistle asked on January 18, 2016
⦁      Insider
⦁      Original title: Beta tester switch back?
I purchased my current laptop with windows 8.0 and upgraded (forced) to 8.1
I volunteered to test windows 10 beta, after the last file updates, I was automatically upgraded to windows 10 Home edition...
I did not fully realize that I could NOT go back to 8.1, I was not even given a chance to revert back.
If I reformat my hard drive and reinstall the factory disks, will I be able to go to 8.1? or will windows 10 "automatically" force the upgrade?
I cannot use Xbox game controller any longer..... no windows 10 drivers available, windows recognizes the controller but has driver error....
I cannot use my Joystick (precision pro)... windows 10 recognizes it, but there is no calibration available and no games work with the joystick attached....
I CANNOT USE CONTROLLERS.... and to play games I AM FORCED to use KEYBOARD.....
Thank you for any helpful information...
I have repeatedly downloaded Xbox 360 accessories software (deleted all drivers first)
Both controllers worked with 8.1 with ALL my games.....
You and 1 other person had this question
⦁      
⦁      
⦁      Me Too
⦁      Reply
⦁      Edit
⦁      Report abuse
⦁      Stop emails
⦁      
All replies (2)
JEJenith_James replied on January 19, 2016
⦁      Microsoft
Support Engineer
⦁      http://answers.microsoft.com/lang/page/faq
⦁      Hello Orphistle,
Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.
I apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are glad to help you.
In order to help you better, could you please confirm a couple of things:
1. What is the driver error that you receive?
2. What exactly happens when you try to use Xbox game controller and the joystick?
I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.
Method 1: Hardware and devices troubleshooter.
Plug the device and run the hardware troubleshooter. Once this is done, restart the computer and check the status.
Follow these steps:
1. Press the ‘Windows + Q’ key on the keyboard.
2. Type troubleshooting in the search box and then press enter.
3. Click hardware and sound and run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.
4. Follow the On screen instructions. Once this is done, restart the computer and check the status.
Method 2: I also request you to update all the available Windows 10 compatible drivers/software from the computer manufacture’s website and check.
If it is not available then you may install the drivers in compatibility mode from the previous version of Windows and check if it helps.
Hope this information helps. Keep us posted with the updated status. We will be happy to assist you.
Thanks and regards,
Jenith
Be the first person to mark this helpful
⦁      
⦁      
⦁      
⦁      Helpful
⦁      Reply
⦁      Report abuse
⦁      Mark as Answer
OR⦁      Orphistle replied on January 19, 2016
⦁      Insider
⦁      In reply to Jenith_James's post on January 19, 2016
Thanks for changing my title to one that does not reflect my question.
I have gone through ALL trouble shooting for non existent windows 10 drivers for the
windows Xbox controller driver by using forum search and following all directions given there.
My title is as implied.... I was beta for windows 10... and was given no choice to revert back to my "previous" software,
Again I ask, can I reformat my hard drive and revert back to a reload of my previous version of windows? (8.1), as windows 10 will not let me use any of my controllers, and my laptop is now just an "e machine" only capable of internet access and word processing. I can only play "keyboard" games.... and my arthritis causes pain to use them.
With my previous version of windows 8.1 my controllers worked.... now they don't (and neither do my short-cut keyboard commands like volume, brighten, play, fast forward, reverse.....ect., that came with the laptop, but that's a different monster).
Is my version of windows 10 home edition bugged? has being a beta tester cause a conflict of previous loads and the last upgrade?
Please send me a reply to coach me to my safe return to windows 8.1
Be the first person to mark this helpful
⦁      Helpful
⦁      Reply
⦁      Edit
⦁      Report abuse

Now we wait to see Jenith's answer to the last post...  Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 01/19/16 at 14:14:59

I hope MS takes care of you.    You defended them right up until the point you simply couldn't any more.

I however, was an "unfriend" starting right after my mother-in-laws early on Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade, which couldn't see audio and video drivers, etc. from the very get go.    Cortana was a no show on that machine from the very start.  And Sony got blamed for it by MS, but Sony had absolutely NO intention of writing any Win 10 drivers for that old hardware, ever.    Not their job.

Saying Sony was responsible for MS's garbage i.e. MS choosing to use strange driver tech in Win 10 is absurd.

Now MS Windows is doing nightly sneaky stuff, running around late at night REMOVING people's various softwares and their good working Win 7 drivers (as supplied under Win 7 by the original vendors) and replacing it with MicroCrap apps and MS generic drivers that simply don't work worth doodly with Win 7 (or anything else for that matter.......).

Then MS twists your arm to "fix your problems" by going whole hog into Win 10 but having to run on BRAND NEW hardware that only they support (on hardware that happens to have some driver support, simply because Intel wrote it, being all desperate to sell something).

Microsoft has devolved into acting like a spoofin' spyware company, selling you "fixes" to situations they created on purpose.

=========================================

Question becomes:   If I found a class action suit for you being organized by a group of folks with issues just like yours, would you actually join the class action suit?

...... ie do you feel that you have been wronged as this thing slid downhill into non-functionality?

Would you lobby with regulators to FORCE corrective actions by MS that didn't actually subsequently lock you into their products forever?

If Gabe got Steam on Linux working well enough to play your games and use your various controllers, would that suffice you going out into the future?

HERE IS THE CURRENT POSITION I AM IN --- MS HAS SHOWN A WILLINGNESS TO LET IT ALL GO TO HELL BY THE BITS AND PIECES,  AND THEY DO NOT CARE JUST SO I REMAIN THEIR LOYAL CUSTOMER WITH ME CONSTANTLY BUYING NEW STUFF WHILE SIMPLY TRYING TO GET BACK TO THE "STABLE CONDITION" WHERE I WAS 8 YEARS AGO.

Roll Eyes

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834738004&nm_mc=AFC-C8J...

Hisense C11 Chromebook Rockchip 1.80 GHz 2 GB Memory 16 GB SSD 11.6" Chrome OS for $89

« Last Edit: 01/19/16 at 20:17:52 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #24 - 01/19/16 at 19:45:05

now that is interesting, 'chromebook' for 89 bux

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 01/19/16 at 19:53:02

Chromebooks are excellent for light generic uses like posting, internet, on-line games and typing, but they simply don't allow the big heavy duty AAA title game playing like I still want to do.    And face it, it is a different world out there in Chromeland .....

So, I use Linux Mint for everything and as my "damm MS hobby" I fight to keep Win 10 off my Windows 7 gaming partition.   And now MS is starting to DELETE my good drivers that run my video card and REPLACE THEM WITH MICROCRAP drivers.

Gabe however, loads his own drivers for my card every time I start up the Steam game that needs them, so it all comes out in the wash.

Steam and Gabe's boys are the only reason I can still play the big heavy duty AAA title games.

I haven't been back to my locked down Win 7 gaming partition in a while, mebbe I should go just to see what has happened to it in the last 3 weeks ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #26 - 01/19/16 at 20:09:23

Good think for me I don't game then
seriously, last time I gamed was Halo on Xbox
I was very good
at dying

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #27 - 01/20/16 at 18:51:15

http://liliputing.com/2016/01/freedompop-now-offers-a-little-free-data-in-25-...

FreedomPop now offers (a little) free data in 25 countries

This one is for Verslagen, who is putting something like this on a 100% free phone for his parents.

The gist of this seems to be that Freedom POP "kinda accidentally" signs you up for stuff that costs money when you go through the normal sign up process.   The only way you can get true "for free" is to read a current "how to sign up" walk through on the FreedomPOP forums and then follow it carefully.

And then, if you transgress a cap or whatever, you wind up paying as much or more than Republic Wireless would cost with their no-nonsense wifi only $10 plan.   Freedom POP gets their margin out of you exceeding something, so they make it easy to automatically or accidentally sign up for stuff and for you to go there by over-use.

This is in direct contrast to Republic Wireless, who has only a roaming cap that they tell you about and then they cut you off when you go past it -- no extra money is generated as with Freedom POP.  I use Republic Wireless and feel that for $15 on data I get fair 3-G data & wifi service (that you opt for whenever you need it) and I find I cannot accidentally exceed my caps without ME actually doing something to intentionally actuate it ahead of time.

Republic Wireless has no $$$ traps and twiggles as does Freedom POP.   But it costs more.

The good guys:   Republic Wireless (and Google Fi) both believe in giving you your money back for unused data even in their itty bitty data plans, so even if I go to a data plan while on vacation I still get most of the money back after vacation is over.  

Roaming Caps and suchlike tricks do exist with both low end players --- I was roaming on AT&T while we were at Simple Life last year and I ran my roaming cap out before the days there were done.

Credit to Freedom POP must be given, as they realize they have created a poor image and they are trying to clean it up and to clarify what they really offer.   However, to get for free for real, you still need to follow the walk through when signing up.

« Last Edit: 01/21/16 at 06:19:32 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 01/20/16 at 20:15:09

http://liliputing.com/2016/01/jide-releases-remix-os-source-code-to-comply-wi...

Jide releases (some) Remix OS source code to comply with GPL, Apache licenses

Being FOSS and "open" isn't just being for free, it is collaborating with your code, posting in in plain open formats and allowing others to use it according to a stated no-cost OPEN SOURCE license.

Jide is the first one of the Android on PC folks to do this disclosure fully.   And in doing so they are honoring the GPL license (stricter in terms of total disclosure compared to Apache).  

Jide shows its Google roots in doing this quickly both and openly.

Here’s Jide’s full statement on the matter:

"At Jide, we take all open source licensing protocols very seriously and aim to abide by all established conventions. As such, please see our responses to both claims with regards to any breach of our commitment to adhering to open source licensing standards.

UNetbootin
As has been reported, Remix OS Flash Tool is indeed built on the open source UNetbootin. To ensure that we are fully compliant with GPL, we have already pushed out the source code of our tool to the public. You may check it out here: https://github.com/jide-opensource/remixos-usb-tool.

Android-x86
Remix OS for PC is built based on the Android-x86 project with their full consent. We have clearly acknowledged and credited the project on our website – http://www.jide.com/en/remixos-for-pc.

Based on the information listed on the Android-x86 website (link), it was our understanding that Android-x86 was an open source project based only on the Apache License. However, we have since discovered that some of the files from the project are under GPL license and so we will be opening our code modifications up to the public with immediate effect, to ensure that we are fully compliant with GPL. All open source code can be found here – https://github.com/jide-opensource

In addition, any other changes to open source code, such as those that are kernel-based, will be released to the public community as quickly as possible. To ensure that there is no uncertainty, we will also have a disclaimer included in our next release package that states details of our compliance."

This opens the way for Google to include all of this into stock Android M on the next revision level (or when they get their various parts ready to go that is).

People keep asking for "When Continuum is coming to Android" -- the answer to that will be "It is just Android now, use it".

This move also wipes out one or two of the Jide competitors, because they are NOT FOSS compliant and are not sharing their code.   As a matter of fact, one has "strongly borrowed" the entire Android x86 open source project and is selling it for money over in the orient, which will get them sued by FOSS shortly.   Then all of their code will become GPL FOSS code and will be freely shared with the world by court order.

Google is a different company -- they will provide you with ALL the code, free, and then NOT restrict it as tightly as they could by allowing you to do an Apache license on what you build out of it.   With Apache, you can take and modify the Google code but not be required to share your modified code totally.

This allows a little guy to have something to sell as the fruits of his labor modifying all the stuff in his unique ways.

Google does keep an ongoing edge by not releasing ALL their unique code the first year, simply by saying it really isn't ready yet, let's wait a year.   This is seen as both responsible and OK in the FOSS world.  

Google turns this into two years of edge by doing the Nexus only Beta pre-release trick for the -1 year, then the first year +1 full release, then posting all the code during year +2.   This means the released code is fairly complete and clean, which is also a good thing.

Since Industry takes 2 years to actually roll over to the next Google flavor anyway this works out well in reality.

But it gives you a time line that Google may well use with rolling out Android PC / laptop functions.

In the year to 2 years that remain, can Microsoft jerk enough people around to build a survivable, locked-in customer base for themselves?    Can they manage to make a "clearly better product" to excuse the higher cost of ownership?

Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: 01/21/16 at 06:23:30 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #29 - 01/21/16 at 07:49:50

http://liliputing.com/2016/01/unofficial-intel-timeline-7nm-chips-in-2020-5nm...

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2016/01/18/what-is-the-name-of-intels-t...

OK, this is different.   Intel has fired their BS cannon again, and this time The Motley Fool is reporting it as a "cautionary" be prepared to sell event rather than an "invest" event.    The Fool is shocked that Intel isn't going to be timely to market and thinks that Intel always slips a year or two in what they actually do which makes them pretty much NON-competitive going out into the future.

Why?   Intel is really saying they are going to be 2 plus years late to the 10nm party and Samsung/Apple/Qualcomm is going to be there first for over a year and TSMC is going to be there at least part of a year before Intel gets there as well.

But the Motley Fool report and the Liliputing report also points out that Intel isn’t the only company working hard on smaller, more efficient chips designs… and that it’s possible TSMC (Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing) could beat Intel to the punch by producing its first 10nm chips in late 2016 and its first 7nm chips in early 2018.

In the meantime, it looks like here’s the unofficial roadmap for new Intel chips for the next few years (if the rumors are correct):

2016 – 14nm “Kaby Lake” (Tock)
2017 – 10nm “Cannonlake” (Tick)
2018 – 10nm “Icecake” (Tock)
2019 – 10nm “Tigerlake” (Tock)
2020 – 7nm TBD (Tick)
2021 – 7nm TBD (Tock)
2022 – 5nm TBD (Tick)

Me, I think 10nm for Apple/Samsung is right now this year with maybe Qualcomm coming on board for next year's products.

7nm means a shift away from traditional silicon and IBM/Samsung/Global Foundry consortium holds the patent edge on working 7nm tech right now.  

Ditto for 10nm tech too.   Samsung is rumored to have a functioning 10nm line that Apple paid for and that line is rumored to be in Apple A-10 production as we speak.   Slow, triple to quadruple-pass post-sorted prototype A-10 production, but production all the same.   Production that will speed up as the 10nm tricks get better and better as more is known about running it faster at a good yeild.

IF TSMC does manage to pull an upset at 10nm over Intel's best efforts, then the entire pack of ARM RISC chipset guys will have lapped the kludgy CISC architecture Intel uses for at least part of a year.    

This will likely signal a total tech tipping point as "Android as a PC" will be around about then as well.

===========================

MS is now embracing whomever can bring the the best chipsets to their bed, so that MS boudoir match-up will change over periodically to show you who MS thinks is "the best chipsets right now" going on out into the future.

Just recently, MS has taken Intel back into the fold again as Qualcomm seems to be embedded in their overheating mess again ......   this time the Qualcomm 820 is dragging Samsung down into the morass with them as Samsung is committed to using the Qualcomm chipset in next year's Samsung flagship phones.

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/processors/39118-snapdragon-820-might-have-heati...

http://www.bidnessetc.com/56259-qualcomm-snapdragon-820-faces-heating-problem...

"Qualcomm, Inc. (NASDAQ:QCOM) may be in the middle of another overheating crisis with its flagship Snapdragon 820 processor. Overheating was a focal point of concern for its predecessor Snapdragon 810, which suffered from thermal issues that caused the company to lose out on chip orders from major vendors. The company would have been hoping its days of overheating chips were behind it, but that doesn’t look to be the case.

Business Korea has reported that Samsung is tweaking the upcoming Qualcomm flagship, specifically the microprocessor control program, in order to tackle the thermal issues detected on the chip. The publication claims Samsung will install a radiating pipe to provide a fix."

Putting a heat pipe connection into the chipset cover itself and re-naming it as 85x something is likely an admission that the overheating problem does exist.   Microsoft shifting back to Intel is another possible confirmation of ongoing Qualcomm heating/throttling issues.

Certainly Mediatek is chomping at the bit to make some hay this upcoming year as their decacores DO outperform an overheated & throttled quadcore Qualcomm 820 (one with no heat pipe) and Mediatek already KNOWS it.

If Samsung keeps to their commitment to use the Qualcomm chipset and the heat pipe trick doesn't work totally then both Samsung and Qualcomm might manage to get themselves lapped somewhat by Mediatek.

Shocked       And then this really will be a year of some significant change ups.      Shocked

« Last Edit: 01/22/16 at 08:29:40 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 61
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 17:40:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › Android/Chrome/Fuchsia vs Windows/Polaris

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.