Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: Timing?
Reply #15 - 01/07/16 at 08:27:44

Not when it's air cooled with low compression
Kawasaki's 500 Parallel twin, in the Ninja 500, was water cooled, revved to near 10k RPM, and made 50 hp, and despite the best efforts of some EX owners, that was pretty close to it's full potential
This is a low revving, low compression, air cooled single
Also the exhaust port on the S40s engine isn't very well designed

IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #16 - 01/07/16 at 08:29:52

The pickup coil isn't really a Hall effect sensor. It's combination of a magnet and a coil of wire. It generates power when metal passes over it. It's more similar to AC power than DC.

This is the only positioning sensor our motorcycle has for electronically referencing piston position. Making a more powerful ignition control box would greatly benefit from incorporating additional sensors. I imagine our current one has a lot of safety-slop built in because of this.

1996 LS650 - University of Central Florida

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #17 - 01/07/16 at 08:37:40

Now your talking! It shouldn't be a difficult thing to replace the TCI with a adjustable CDI unit.

My daughter's scooter has an adjustable timing CDI ignition box on it. The p/u coil is very similar to the Suzuki p/u coil. And they aren't expensive either. Hmm... I'll have to get out the wiring schematic and see how to wire one in place of the TCU.

Any other ideas for switching to CDI ignition? Huh

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #18 - 01/08/16 at 04:36:02

I had an idea about doing that a while back.  I didn't follow-up on it though since I don't have ignition problems.
I did find that the DC CDI like is used on scooters has basically the same inputs.  It inputs both sides of the pickup coil, + and - 12v, and outputs + and - for the coil.

Seems to me that the timing pickup for those is 36º BTDC. I am not sure where our pickup is in relation to tdc.  That could be a game changer if it's very far off from that.  You'll probably also need to change to the small coil that is used by those CDI boxes. It would be nice to have a $25 CDI instead of the expensive box that is currently used.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #19 - 01/08/16 at 14:51:53

So you have seen the CDI boxes with adjustable timing then? It might be a worthy experiment to try it out just to see if any performance is gained.

I don't see any major issues with wiring in a CDI and a HV coil temp. While using the Suzuki P/U coil.  

A adjustable CDI box and a HV CDI coil would be less than $40.00

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #20 - 01/12/16 at 18:41:39

The only real problem I see would be pickup position.  If it's too far from where it is on the scooter, it'll have to be moved or the idea dropped.

I was thinking about it more along the lines of something much easier and cheaper to get if the TCI box ever decided to go belly-up on me.  Just about any place that repairs chinese scooters will have one of the boxes and a coil.  

Many of the 4-wheelers also use the same box and coil. You just have to make sure it's DC instead of AC powered.

I contacted one of the manufacturers of the adjustable timing units one time and was told that the start and high end timing are the same as the standard. The only difference is the advance curve in the middle can be adjusted. They specifically said it won't increase the top-end timing at all so no additional top-end speed.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:27:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Timing?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.