Savage Upgrades (Read 313 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: Savage Upgrades
Reply #15 - 01/23/16 at 21:28:56

I just thought that meant I was a good rider. Like when I am going down the road and enter a turn and there's a patch of gravel and I say, "Oh dang I'm going to hit it" and I do. I guess I just need to change the way of looking at it and say "Oh dang I'm not going to hit it" and then I won't hit it. Grin Grin Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 01/24/16 at 03:19:23

springman wrote on 01/23/16 at 21:28:56:
I just thought that meant I was a good rider. Like when I am going down the road and enter a turn and there's a patch of gravel and I say, "Oh dang I'm going to hit it" and I do. I guess I just need to change the way of looking at it and say "Oh dang I'm not going to hit it" and then I won't hit it. Grin Grin Grin

No....you need to look at the gravel only until you identify it as a hazard - then switch your focus to the line that you actually want to travel.

You can practice this while you ride.....just spot a stain in the pavement, a water valve, manhole cover, turn arrow -and practice keeping your line as you pass the imagined hazard.

When I first started riding Trials I made the mistake everyone does, and I would focus on the log, hill, creek bank that I was trying to cross....and I would end up stuck on the obstacle.  Once I learned to focus on something beyond the obstacle (while keeping the obstacle in your field of vision) it was much easier to stay in control and succesfully conquer the obstacle.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 01/24/16 at 09:43:44

springman wrote on 01/23/16 at 21:28:56:

If you see a patch of gravel on your side of the road and then keep looking at it, then you will hit it.
If you'll focus on a spot besides it and choose that new line through the turn, you'll have a lot better chance of not hitting it.

If you're GONNA hit it and you're cornering hard enough that it could drop you  then you might need to stop braking or gassing it and stand it up as much as you think you need to to not crash.
Depending on your speed and the size of the Patch of gravel, the time and distance covered between being layed over, sttod up and layed back in to the corner can be just a quick flick.
Say it's a left corner, and you're about to the apex and there's a slick spot, and it's too late to change course, what do you do?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #18 - 01/24/16 at 11:43:01

Quote:
Say it's a left corner, and you're about to the apex and there's a slick spot, and it's too late to change course, what do you do?

Nothing. And I'm not being a smart-a**. Unless you're Valentino Rossi and have his reflexes and balance any input from you will be more likely to cause a crash. Let the bike figure it out without any help from you.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 01/24/16 at 21:58:31

Not having time to change course doesn't mean no time to make a crash less likely. Everything going on that's Using traction is adding up to a slide. Reduce the loads on the tires. Stand the bike up for a split second. If you're on the brakes, ease up, on the gas, ease up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #20 - 01/25/16 at 05:53:04

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/24/16 at 21:58:31:
Not having time to change course doesn't mean no time to make a crash less likely. Everything going on that's Using traction is adding up to a slide. Reduce the loads on the tires. Stand the bike up for a split second. If you're on the brakes, ease up, on the gas, ease up.

Yeah, if you've got enough room to stand the bike up a bit and run wide without winding up in the other lane or off the rod once you're through the turn maybe. But a slide doesn't automatically mean a crash. The most common reaction to the situation you described is to slam the throttle closed and tighten your grip on the bars. Doing that will almost certainly put you down.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #21 - 01/25/16 at 09:17:29

the bunch of us riding from Columbus to run the Sisters hit a fer dang sher slickery spot, in a curve, at 70+
some of nearly changed lanes during the loss of traction
none of us crashed
myself i attribute that to the slide being over before I had time to get scared and do the wrong thing

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 14:08:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Upgrades

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.