Hard Tails (Read 119 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Hard Tails
01/03/16 at 22:19:20

I noticed that someone is selling struts for making hardtails. I remember talking to a mechanic who does custom Harleys, and he prefers hardtails.

So, tell me your opinions on this matter. I gather a lot of people can't stand hardtail bikes and the whole Easy Rider quote about leaving one's kidneys down the road or something. Anyone here prefer riding hardtail most of the time? Why? Better handling? Lower center of gravity? Just Looks?

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Hard Tails
Reply #1 - 01/04/16 at 01:56:53

I'm not a motorcycle historian, but a reasonably educated guess says hard tails were on most bikes before WW2 and they had for the most part been abandoned before 1950. Road holding and comfort were the main reasons. The people that do them now want nostalgia, or possibly the awful "cool" factor without paying the price of an antique bike. The S40 can be a good platform for conversion, but I doubt there is much to be gained for practical purposes and certainly not for long distance riding.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #2 - 01/04/16 at 02:02:51

but I doubt there is much to be gained for practical purposes and certainly not for long distance riding.

Well said, my other bike is dual sport with just over 7 inches of travel in the front and back.  I can honestly say I have done two 800+ mile days crossing Texas.  

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #3 - 01/04/16 at 05:16:35

I never found a hard tail with a properly sprung and fitted seat to be any less comfortable than a sprung rear wheel. The problem inherent with them is the fact that there is a lot more unsprung weight  which makes handling on anything less that good surfaces worse.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 01/04/16 at 08:46:34

I had a SX650 (Yamaha) in a Hard Tail Frame for a couple of years.   I learned to run 15 lbs of air in the rear tire (400/18 tire).    It handled just fine.   The frame was 8" stretched  with a  (10" over/10 deg. rake) front end.   Yes it was  LONG .  Roll Eyes

After I got my next bike  (Yamaha RD-250) I didn't miss the hard tail at all !  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 01/04/16 at 19:11:32

15 psi!  Shocked  I run at least 35-40 in the rear or it feels real squirrelly!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 01/04/16 at 21:56:03

kris

I'll be running 35 + in the dark-side tire this year .    but that old 400/18 had stiff walls (it could have been a 6 ply ).    Seem like all those old 18 inch tires had stiff walls !   I remember they lasted longer , probably because they were taller.

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #7 - 01/05/16 at 17:22:26

MMRanch wrote on 01/04/16 at 21:56:03:
I remember they lasted longer...

That applies to nearly everything these days!  Smiley

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 01/06/16 at 06:22:36

Personality, riding style, the roads,
They all matter. Would I Ride a hard tail? Yeah, but I don't want one. I like taking chances that I wouldn't take without a suspension. I watch guys drive low riders, it's cool, just not for me.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 01/06/16 at 07:05:38

It may come from my dirt background,.. but I like the look of big, beefy, exposed, shocks...

Grrr! Arghhh!.... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:25:33

General CategoryThe Cafe › Hard Tails

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.