GLASSES! (Read 92 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
GLASSES!
01/03/16 at 21:07:38

Since becoming a motorcyclist, I have basically murdered my glasses stuffing them in and out of my FF helmet.

On the MSF course, I dropped and chipped them.

I am constantly having to bend them back to fit.

One evening on my longest trip so far, I broke them the farthest from home. Fortunately, I only broke the earpiece. The glasses were still functional. We (PAINSTAKINGLY) transplanted an earpiece from another old pair (metal part and plastic, wasn't the same color/size Roll Eyes) into my frame.

I think they have finally taken the last straw. Yesterday evening, I discovered that the main part of the frame is broken near the earpiece joint. Only part of it is broken, but it won't be long before the rest of it is broken.

These, I think, were expensive titanium glasses Sad. Looked good too. Titanium is overrated Tongue I used to wear Flexon glasses years ago, but not lately. they served me pretty well, but I can't say they would stand up to the punishment either. The wire earpieces would probably stab through the rubbers, and I would be replacing them a bazillion times (or wrapping them in Duct tape out of desperation Angry.

I broke a Flexon once in cold weather, believe it or not Shocked-- snapped right in the middle. So don't you dare say it can't be done. They may be springy, but they're not indestructible.

I am nearsighted with astigmatism. I've got to ride with glasses. I've never tried contacts. I wouldn't rule them out, but it's not something I've thought much about. I consider my glasses to be eye protection.
I probably have polycarbonate lenses (I think--I hope Undecided Shocked). No, it's not perfect, they're not wraparound, and it won't keep every speck of dust out, but they'll help with a pebble thrown in the face. I have a face shield, but I don't always use it, particularly at low/moderate speeds. Eye protection is mandatory in my state, I believe.

You'd wonder why... Roll Eyes Bare eyes+60 mph+ pebble to eyeball = AHHH!!!!SCREEK!!!!!SPLACK!!!!CHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Ten minutes later.... WEEEEEOOOOWWWWW!!!!!!

Ten hours later.... Full body cast!

Ten months later... Medical bills!

Ten years later... I think I'll stop now   Grin

I reckon I need to buy some Rx riding glasses. Any suggestions? I should probably get some that are good worn all the time. Or get two cheap sets. Gotta be cheap Cool. Hey, when you're the Cheap Newb, you've gotta at least try every once and awhile to make your name mean something. Wink If I didn't, I ought to call myself something else. I like my name so far. Tongue Cheesy

P.S. I may have first posted this thread forgetting that the character in my example not only gets a full body cast, but also becomes a pirate.  Wink Grin

ARRRHHHHH! MATEEEE!   Grin

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: GLASSES!
Reply #1 - 01/04/16 at 07:11:12

I wonder if prescription goggles can be had?

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #2 - 01/04/16 at 09:20:31

If you have a current prescription, you can go to Zenni: http://www.zennioptical.com/glasses/men/Sports-and-Goggles/Sport-Eyeglasses-w... and get sports goggles with removable lenses. You can't get progressive bifocals in them though.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #3 - 01/04/16 at 18:55:17

It looks like I have to go for an eye exam. Turns out that my prescription is "expired," and that Federal law (or regulation) prohibits the eye doctor from even disclosing my prescription so that I can order glasses Sad, or so I am told. Roll Eyes. Soon we're going to have more laws on the books than dollars in the national debt. Tongue Grin Angry.

Well, at least it's covered by insurance Smiley -- or so I am told  Undecided.

And yes, there are several brands of Rx riding glasses. Look them up.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #4 - 01/04/16 at 20:39:20

I second the motion. I have been buying my glasses from Zenni for the last 8 - 10 years. My expensive glasses with the titanium frame from Zenni cost about $25.00.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #5 - 01/04/16 at 21:10:33

Seems good. Now I just have to find one I like. Undecided I get the feeling I may end up with another cheap brand.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 01/08/16 at 08:40:47

Seems as though my eyesight is changing every other dang day. I have a few pair of glasses around the house and still tend to use reading glasses for the laptop and bathroom.

My prescription glasses I currently wear are the titanium ones with multifocus no line. The lenses are large and seeing as the frame is so light the glasses always slide down my nose. Besides the fact I sometimes get a feeling like i'm looking through a fish bowl.

Mind you I have been wearing this type of lens for a long time and recently have had some hyperbaric chambers treatments which (this might just be me) seems to have yet again changed my vision.

I have ALWAYS used a local eyeglass company... and now I think I will go to one of the cheaper ones and get a 2 for one special to see how they stand up against a "professional eye glass doctor".

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #7 - 01/08/16 at 09:22:03

IMO wallmart is the best vision dispenser .cant stand the rest of the store

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home