Wobble? (Read 273 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Wobble?
01/02/16 at 21:30:49

Not to start one of those "Cheap, you're crazy" threads, BUT.....

I noticed a little bit of high speed wobble as I passed someone today in a hurry to get to work. I've noticed this before; it tends to happen at higher speeds, and, perhaps, with acceleration. Once, some time ago, I noticed it after coming off a bridge on the Interstate. (I was hurrying to work that day too) Tongue.

I've never gone into a full tank-slapper-- Thank goodness!

I wonder... could it be suspension tuning? I think that's supposedly one of the causes. I need to fix my forks. One side leaks very badly, and I think it has lost most of it's power. Should I also increase the preload on the back? I weigh about 200lb? I'd guess that I should fix my forks before increasing the preload since I heard that an imbalance can cause that problem/make it worse. Huh

I'm guessing this is the most likely problem.

Would stiff suspension help? Thicker fork oil/higher preload?

Of course, there could be other possibilities. Huh

Anyone have any experiences? Does anyone here have any slight wobbles with bumps/acceleration/high speeds/poor suspension? Maybe it's not really a wobble? Huh Undecided  What do I know? Tongue I'm the Cheap Newb Tongue Grin

Now, this little bike might not be a crotch rocket, but it ought to be stable at the speeds which it can travel, No? Wink

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Wobble?
Reply #1 - 01/02/16 at 21:52:37

your speed? the vehicle you were passing

ours is a light weight bike ive had cross winds send me into the left lane and end my days riding

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 01/02/16 at 21:54:36

cheapnewb24 wrote on 01/02/16 at 21:30:49:
I need to fix my forks. One side leaks very badly...

Ding, ding, ding! A winner!  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #3 - 01/02/16 at 22:15:42

Good grief, more possibilities? Tongue

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1180436373/15

Wheel imbalance wobble at certain speeds?! Windshields (not applicable) ?! Mudflaps?! MUDFLAPS!!!! You've got to be kidding?! Grin Weight distribution.... Basically anything under the sun can cause me to wobble-- possibly even my own riding technique, or lack thereof Roll Eyes

Will I ever get this figured out? Sad

It's not much of a wobble, just a little wobble back and forth once or twice, and that's it. It's like an instability arises that causes it to wobble just a little bit. Not scary or unnerving, just concerning.

It's the "this could be a problem" idea. Huh It's very noticeable, so it's not nothing. It's not all in my head. Roll Eyes It is short of the "I'm gonna die" feeling, though. Wink But then, it doesn't last long enough for that. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #4 - 01/02/16 at 22:19:06

Kris01 wrote on 01/02/16 at 21:54:36:
cheapnewb24 wrote on 01/02/16 at 21:30:49:
I need to fix my forks. One side leaks very badly...

Ding, ding, ding! A winner!  Wink

You sound very confident. Are you just assuming that it's that because they need to be fixed, and it could affect that, or do you have a lot of experience in this "crappy suspension causes tankslappers" thing?

It does seem reasonable... Don't get me wrong. I brought it up myself Roll Eyes. I just wanted to get some more input on this.

Someone said that people sometimes go for years with blown fork seals.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 01/02/16 at 23:32:11

+1,..Kris...
Firmer suspension, and heavier oil, will help a bit. too...
...but,... this is a light bike... at speed, the front end will get lighter, and as wind pulls your arms, you lighten it more...
If you feel the front end getting light,... use your weight... lean forward... put you head toward the bars...

A light bike has many advantages... acceleration, control, ease of maneuvering... but, you ride it, more than ride upon it...

When I ride my Sportster,... I'm 145lbs on a 600lb machine... It don't know I'm there...
Grin...
...on my Savage,... I have much more control...
...but, I have to exert that control...
When outside elements influence it, my input is required, and that point comes sooner on a light bike than a heavy one...

A fun experiment,.. is to find a decent set of curves on a seldom traveled road... and run it back and forth...
Be safe...
...but slowly increase speed, until stresses are induced...
Then, try subtle corrections... lean into the turn a bit... stick a knee out just a little... shift your weight forward... apply throttle...
DON"T.. push things into a crash!... let the progress happen comfortably and naturally, without inducing fear...
Not 2 or 3 passes... 20 or30... spend a couple hours, take a few breaks... the slightest nervous moment... go home...
Come back next week... and start again...
DON"T keep pushing until you crash!... Grin
Just practice,.. until you can go as fast as is safe for that road,.. and still be able to make a correction if something unexpected happens...

Any time you are riding on a public road... you want to be going at a safe enough speed to make a correction in case of, obstacle, animal, hazard, or other driver...
Never ride at 100% of your ability...
..(all my solo street crashes, have been pushing past 80% of my ability, and hitting an unexpected obstacle)...
Point is,.. they weren't because I went faster than I could handle.  I just went faster than was within a safe margin...

I'm rambling... Roll Eyes
Try leaning forward a little... put some weight on the front end...
Your bike is trying to take-off... Grin

Watch this... Cool   Ride safe...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3OQTU-kE2s

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 01/03/16 at 00:20:30

If Serowbot hadn't posted that video, I would have.  I don't think this is your problem though.  This bike isn't known to have this wobble for any rider of any size or shape, but there's a first for everything.  I'm with Kris..fix your forks first, and I would add that a good tire can make a world of difference.  I had a bit of what you're experiencing until I recently changed tires.  Problem solved for me.  Aside from that, I'd say you're really overthinking this.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #7 - 01/03/16 at 06:00:44

The high speed weave in the video seems similar to what I've been having, but mine goes away very quickly. The effect is very brief. It's like a short little duh-dh (to describe the motion with words), and it's over. It only lasts 2 or (possibly) 3 motions before it corrects itself.

The speaker suggests that a worn rear with new (racing) front  makes things worse. Hmmm.... I've got a worn rear and new front. The front and racing, and the rear ain't squared off, but it might be enough to be an issue. Put that with a sloppy fork for instability, and who knows?

I weigh 200 lb. If I were lighter, what would happen? Huh Shocked

Maybe this is why people like heavy bikes at high speeds.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #8 - 01/03/16 at 06:06:14

chzeckmate wrote on 01/03/16 at 00:20:30:
If Serowbot hadn't posted that video, I would have.  I don't think this is your problem though.  This bike isn't known to have this wobble for any rider of any size or shape, but there's a first for everything.  I'm with Kris..fix your forks first, and I would add that a good tire can make a world of difference.  I had a bit of what you're experiencing until I recently changed tires.  Problem solved for me.  Aside from that, I'd say you're really overthinking this.

I read some of you talking from time to time about  some sort of "riding a drunken cow" feeling. What was this about?
I don't really know if this applies to me as I don't have the experience. I am guessing I would feel better on a new tire, though.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #9 - 01/03/16 at 06:08:59

Is the high speed weave influenced by both the suspension and the tire?

At the same time?

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #10 - 01/03/16 at 06:14:42

Now that I think of it more, watching the video, I'm not sure exactly how long the weave lasts. It could have lasted for longer than I thought. I just don't remember exactly. I just remember that it never lasted very long.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #11 - 01/03/16 at 06:25:45

chzeckmate wrote on 01/03/16 at 00:20:30:

I'm not sure exactly if the man in the video believed that all bikes had this issue, but he did say it has to do with weight, and I think he said that it was not unusual for a well-tuned bike to have it. The Savage is under 400 lb wet, and I am 6'1, so my height could be an issue due to weight distribution. As I said, my weight ought to help, but my weight distribution may not be the best. This may help in part to explain why I have a natural tendency to lean forward a little at speed.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #12 - 01/03/16 at 07:04:08

Could put some weight in a backpack and go for a ride....might help confirm or rule out the high speed wobble seem in the video.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #13 - 01/03/16 at 07:15:59

I actually ride with a backpack. Grin

How much it weighs is another question. Huh Yesterday, I had one of those massive U-shaped bicycle locks (don't use it much). I need a disc lock. Wink I also had my work shoes in there, my hat, and a few little things. Not a whole lot, in other words.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 01/03/16 at 08:07:08

A backpack will likely make things worse...
You'll notice the box on back in the video did...
Weight must go forward...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:24:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wobble?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.