Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Anyone with a FSM? Conrod length? (Read 201 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Anyone with a FSM? Conrod length?
01/02/16 at 18:57:57

I'm just curious if anyone knows the connecting rod length.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Anyone with a FSM? Conrod length?
Reply #1 - 01/03/16 at 16:10:29

What is a FSM? Huh

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 01/03/16 at 16:23:56

Dave wrote on 01/03/16 at 16:10:29:
What is a FSM? Huh

factory service manual

WWW   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 01/03/16 at 21:16:27

I've looked all over and can't find anything.  Sad

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #4 - 01/03/16 at 21:37:14

Someone needs to post on a huge posterboard...

[b Hmmm.... like that $20 t-shirt advertisement I'm looking at.... yeah, you know, those shirts that no one's getting anyway Grin Grin... Just take that silly thing down and replace it with something like this:
[/b]
"Please!, Someone!, Anyone! Tear down an LS650 engine, carefully measure the connecting rod dimensions, and post it here at their earliest convenience! The Savage community needs your measurements!"

Perfect! Grin

Oh! Mysterious John is going to hate me! Grin Grin Grin

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 01/05/16 at 07:33:31

So are you looking for center-to-center or tip-to-tip or big end to little end or little end to big end or  ...  ...   Cheesy

Don't ask me for actual numbers, that's just WAAAY to hard.   Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 01/05/16 at 12:13:09

Im curious to know what caused the curiosity.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #7 - 01/05/16 at 17:29:41

Center to center preferably.

I recent thread got me thinking about the LS650/S40's redline RPM. I say 6500 is too high. Suzuki says differently.  Cheesy

To know for sure I'll need to know the conrod length to measure piston speed accurately.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #8 - 01/05/16 at 17:47:15

The idea is that a longer rod will be easier on the engine than a short con rod as far as piston acceleration forces are concerned.

We're trying to figure out how the Savage has such a red line of 6500 and a stroke of 3.7 inches. That's some tough piston forces, and this engine does 4000 rpm all day long on the highway. Compared to car engines, this is very stressful.

We are trying to see how rod/stroke ratio plays into all this.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #9 - 01/05/16 at 17:59:34

LANCER wrote on 01/05/16 at 07:33:31:
So are you looking for center-to-center or tip-to-tip or big end to little end or little end to big end or  ...  ...   Cheesy

Don't ask me for actual numbers, that's just WAAAY to hard.   Cool

Length is our focus, but of course, width, weight, bearing/wrist pin size, con rod bolt size/torque, alloy composition/treatment....etc. might be helpful. Anything and everything that could possibly explain  how this thing is strong enough not to spontaneously blow up would be useful. Cheesy

Lancer's got a job on his hands now.  Grin

Hey Lancer, don't forget to call all those retired Suzuki engineers on the phone at 12:00 in the morning to ask how they designed the Savage engine to magically not blow up.  Grin After all, we know you have their number, and they love taking late night calls Grin. Don't forget to ask about which alloy they used, how it was forged, and how it was heat-treated. Grin And don't forget bearing tolerances....

Well, if Lancer isn't interested, JOG, you can do it, we all know you want to! Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 01/05/16 at 18:59:39

I don't see rod length as important. Crank throw determines piston speed.
A one inch rod on a crank with a 1/2 " throw is gonna have the same piston speed if you put a foot long rod on it. YOu could share the information about the rpod length affecting piston/engine .

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #11 - 01/05/16 at 19:18:38

Look up rod/stroke ratio. Stroke is stroke. The piston still has to travel so far during a revolution within a certain window of time. However, the rod length influences exactly how the piston accelerates and decelerates. The longer the rod, the closer the piston travel acts like scotch yoke mechanism, which produces a sine wave.

The shorter the rod, the longer it stays at BDC, but around TDC, the piston is yanked harder by the rod, if that helps you to understand it. Try imagining it in your head. Smiley

A longer rod gives smoother action, thereby reducing stress.

If you don't know any of this, you might assume that the piston stays at BDC and TDC the same (like a sine wave) and that the con rod means nothing. This is simply not true.

By the way, the scotch yoke mechanism was experimented with years ago, (and still is) for an alternative to the conventional crank and slider mechanism used in most engines. One benefit is that the piston stays at TDC a little longer, which may increase thermodynamic efficiency by allowing more time for the fuel to burn completely before the piston travels downward. Look up the SyTech engine and the Bourke engine.

I welcome the actual engineers here to correct me if any of my points are inaccurate. Wink

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #12 - 01/05/16 at 19:36:08

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 01/05/16 at 19:54:55

I read it. I looked at the graphs. Aaaand, to be honest, I don't unnerstand...

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #14 - 01/05/16 at 21:11:52

Take an old junked-out briggs 5 hp flathead and spin the crank. Watch how the piston acts as it reaches TDC and BDC. I bet you might be able to watch the effect firsthand. I'm not exactly sure I've done this before with that in mind, but remembering seeing the piston move from years ago, I bet you might be able to see it.

Imagine this: The crank is turning and the con rod is slanting. As it's slanting, it's yanking the piston downward faster than you would expect the crank journal alone to do. Also, when it's traveling upward, the rod snaps the piston upwards to TDC. It does this by leverage. It has to do with the angle of the con rod. If the con rod were straight all the time, only the crank journal would have an effect, but then you would have to create a slot, like a scotch yoke. But the angle of the con rod affects the leverage of the system. This leverage changes as the crank moves and the con rod angle changes.

Now the angle is going to be steeper with a short con rod than with a long one. Imagine extremes here. If the con rod were ridiculously short, then it would be angled crazy steep at 90 degrees. An incredibly long one wouldn't have much angle at all. Say a 10 foot long rod with a 2 inch stroke wouldn't move all that much compared to a 2 inch rod (which might be too short to work anyway).

Imagine our thumper with the piston halfway down  the rod journal sideways. That con rod is going to be at an angle to reach from the wrist pin to the crank journal, now isn't it?  Wink Now which is going to be angled steeper, the long or short rod? Distance traveled is the same as far as the rod journal is concerned. Now we're just talking about the distance from the wrist pin to the journal and the angle of that.

Think of a circle cut into slices. If you have a big circle, the size of an arc (the outside bit of circumference) is going to be pretty big for a thin (small angle) slice. A small circle is going to need a really fat slice (wide angle).

The steeper the angle, the harder the con rod yanks on the piston near TDC, making it stay near TDC for less time. The rod journal is kinda pulling things sideways, collapsing the conrod/crank journal/wrist pin complex, and yanking or snapping the piston downward.

This leverage thing actually works backwards near BDC, making the piston stay close to BDC longer than otherwise.

Again, if there are any mechanical engineers out there, you're welcome to help out here.

I hope that helps

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:15:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anyone with a FSM? Conrod length?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.