ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Dark siding again
Reply #30 - 01/21/16 at 08:17:14

Dave wrote on 01/21/16 at 07:22:37:
Yep...it is January and that does give you some time.

However.....it doesn't allow you to set the tire out in the sun and get it really hot and flexible to make it a bit easier to wrestle with.

You may need to make a hot box.
if you got a glass pane (clear plastic will do) big enough to cover the tire.
Then build a box big enough to hold the tire and and use the glass plane to cover it, point it toward the sun and let mother nature do the work for you.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #31 - 01/21/16 at 08:26:36

I think I remember a wood stove in the dining room (most likely where the Harley tank was until ordered out of the house by the Domestic Goddess).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #32 - 01/21/16 at 08:38:12

You fellers age GREAT to have around !  Tongue

There is no reason I can't bring the new tire on the rim into the house and set it by the wood stove !  

Might even do some cleaning and polishing on the wheel part  while I'm waiting for the tire to "Stretch" a bit !  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #33 - 01/21/16 at 13:32:25

Watch out that you don't heat soften the tire to the point it cannot stand the mounting air pressure you put on it .....

Heat it up empty then air it gently to 50 pounds or less to see if it will pop over the bead for you.

Airing it first to 50 and then heating it will make MORE than 50 lbs of air pressure AND heat soften the rubber some ..... mebbe a bad combination, that .......

MM,

I just bought 500 each 150 grain perfectly normal .308 hunting bullets that fit your Swiss K31 rifle, I'll bring you some when I see you next.   Heck, I will even powder coat them with hexagonal boron nitride when I do all of mine.

Cheesy   ...... then you can go load you up some perfectly normal 150 grain K31 rounds that won't kick so durn much ......

« Last Edit: 01/21/16 at 15:09:18 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #34 - 01/21/16 at 15:26:11

Yea , we have a small bag of brass (20-30 ? ).   I've got 170gr. cast to use , you know I like accuracy more than speed !.  Wink    2000><2200 fps area :   Its almost a shame to waste Jacked projectiles when lead will do just as well ??   Huh

Up Date on the tire saga :    

So I got the old tire off as usual ,  
Got the new tire 1/2 on and went after the tube ...  Embarrassed ...  

Well :  come to find out ---  Shocked ---  a 140/150-90 series tube is bigger diameter than the OUT-SIDE  of a 65 series tire .  Lips Sealed
There ain't no way that tube is going to fit inside that tire !    Sad

I've got a "Dirt Bike" 15" tube , I can use --- but I don't like the thought of stretching that little tube that much .  Lips Sealed

I may see about getting a 80 series tire .  

This Mitchelin Commander II has 25,000+ miles on it.  but it's gone !

0121161214b.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #35 - 01/21/16 at 15:45:55

Buy a smaller inner tube  

(that tire is a hundred bucks invested -- and it is not a sunk cost yet as a $10 tube makes it a viable project again)

Wink    or if you bought it local and can swap it for a wider/taller tire, hey go for it.

You can push aerodynamically efficient 150 grain jacketed slugs to 2,650 fps using book standard K31 loading data.

Or you could shoot what I sent you, 165 grain MatchKings at about the same fps.

The MatchKing bullets penetrate 6-7" then it makes an expanding cone of destruction out the far side of the deer as it tumbles and comes apart completely.

Messy, but good .....   you will be able to track them and they won't run far.   Do hit them behind the shoulders in the lungs as hitting a near shoulder would waste both of the shoulder hams.  

For the life of me I don't understand people not using enough bullet to do the job and having to break a shoulder just to anchor the animal and keep it from running off alive.   Hey, there isn't that much edible meat on a small deer anyway.

And hey, that IS the nicest deer impact picture ..... go search "sierra matchking hunting pics" if you want to see the ugly ones .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #36 - 01/21/16 at 21:30:44

That looks like a real hole !  Tongue

I only shot one this year.   But it didn't have any hole like the one in that picture.  

One shot with a 55gr. Nosler Varmagettain bullet (85-90 yards) .  Deer dropped in its tracks , kicked once , no exit hole and tiny entrance hole.  Lungs turned to gravy.

Guns that don't kick are easy to shoot accurately .   Smiley

My local Bike shop didn't have a low profile tube , so I stuck the 90 series tube in ..  Tongue .. . It is unbelievable tight inside that little tire.  I'm thinking  Roll Eyes "use that little 15" tire to replace the dry-rotted little farm tire on my hay rake and get another Mitchellin  Commander ??  
I might have pinched the tube getting it in there but even if I didn't its almost got to be wrinkled at least once.   I'm looking at other car type tires (all 80 series this time)  Wink

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #37 - 01/21/16 at 23:28:33

I like guns that kick some,  but not as much as Lancer does,  but more than you do.

I am going to make some 7mm heavy slug rounds at a very MODERATE velocity since I played all the heavy recoil games I care to play with that rather light rifle.

Ditto with the big '06 rifle, I will do me some more moderate fps 150 grain rounds looking for some stellar accuracy out of the gun, not searching out maximum wompingasskickingitus as I have done some of those already.

What you already have in the K31 will kill a deer plenty dead, MatchKing or the 170 grain cast slugs.   Since you like to shoot from a raised stand at very moderate distances, you don't really need the long range ballistics either.

============================

Are you saying you can't swap out your skinny tire at where you bought it, or are you going to just going to go buy another one?

Did you get the bead to seat?   If so, leave it for a day to stretch the bead zone good, then deflate it to zero (take the valve out) a half a dozen times and let the tube contract and expand to work itself around to conform to the smaller space.  

Tubes are elastic in both directions, you know -- the walls can compress a bit or stretch a bit to line up with the space they are in.

Airing it down to zero and leaving it a while, then airing it back up just until the valve stem has very very light push back (take the nut almost off so you can move the stem in and out freely) is the trick, that is if the bead itself will stay mounted on the rim while you do that.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #38 - 01/22/16 at 08:03:06

MMRanch wrote on 01/21/16 at 15:26:11:
Yea , we have a small bag of brass (20-30 ? ).   I've got 170gr. cast to use , you know I like accuracy more than speed !.  Wink    2000><2200 fps area :   Its almost a shame to waste Jacked projectiles when lead will do just as well ??   Huh

at 2000 FPS doesn't that lead the bore a fair bit?
My prefered load in the .38 is the 'FBI load' (158 grain LSWCHP +p) and I alway run some jackets behind the lead to delead the bore as the bullets in that cartridge will lead the bore even at 900 or so FPS

I'm not very well versed with rifle rounds, I generally just use factory loads, and .30-30 and 3.62x39 aren't 'real' rifle rounds anyway
my old .308 was, but again, factory loads and all jascketed

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #39 - 01/22/16 at 08:16:27

Properly designed and fitted to the throat, cast lead bullets do not lead like you are used to seeing in revolvers.

30-30 Winchester was "the lightning fast" magnum jacketed round when it first came out with its light 170 grain bullet -- people gushed about how it killed like lightening.   Black bear, elk, moose --- it could kill anything in North America.   Five instant repeating shots, too.   A smokeless wonder round with jacketed expanding bullets that worked at any distance you could shoot it accurately.

Now it and the 7.62x39 are in the same ball park, considered puny rounds by the shooting press.

Fact is, both will kill a deer or a black bear just as well as they did originally.   7.62x39 can be loaded with heavier expanding bullets for hunting, too.   You just lose powder space while doing so.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #40 - 01/22/16 at 08:55:24

Oh I know they both do the job, I've popped deer with a .357 mag lol
just they don't have the sort of velocity and flat trajectory of, say, a .308, so they're classified as 'carbine' rounds rather than 'rifle' rounds
I loved my .30-30 for the sort of hunting I did (brush country) and the 3.62x39 is almost identical ballistically
It's not what you use to hit game at 300 yards, but it does fine in the brush
it's the right rifle for me
I guess cast bullets for rifles are probably harder than the dead soft lead in revolver bullets

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #41 - 01/22/16 at 08:57:41

Art
I use Gas-Checks on my cast rifle bullets and my own concoction bullet lube  Smiley , been doing well with it for years.  Long as speeds stay below 2200 fps , things are better than jackets , 2200-2400 is "iffiy" , and above that is TOTALLY out of the question.  Lubed , lead bullets with gas checks "Slide" out the barrel "Slick-as-a-button"  Grin
My plain base pistol cast bullets get Alox lube and stay below 1200fps.  Think 22Mag 1950fps no gas check / powder lube.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

No
I can't take that 65 series tire back , but thats OK I've already replaced one of the hay rake tire and the other one need replacing now. (Dry Rot)  Tongue
I put the tire , tube , rim together in the house last night .  Its pouring rain now but when it lets up some I'll go to the shop and add some compressed air to the mix , might even add some tire lube if the inner tube hold air.  Roll Eyes     If  it holds air I'll bring it back to the house and set it by the wood stove for a while and hope for the best.
If it don't hold air ...  Undecided ...    could turn-into a trip to Lynchburg Choppers to see what my buddy Pat has in stock.

All that snow is just a bit North and West of us now , but the day ain't over YET.  Tongue

« Last Edit: 01/22/16 at 17:30:15 by MMRanch »  

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #42 - 01/22/16 at 17:26:21

Well Fellers

I messed up when I got that 65 series tire.    Lips Sealed

Its so little , there ain't nothing to "Stretch" so it can get on the rim.

I just got off the "Dennis Kirk" web site and now have a new IRC tube and a Kenda K673 140/90-15 on the way.    Some of the reviews are claiming 20,000 + miles and I like the way it looks  Roll Eyes .

Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #43 - 01/22/16 at 17:33:27

I'm curious why you chose a 145/65-15. That tire is nearly 1.4" shorter than stock (or 2.5" shorter than a 140/90-15).

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #44 - 01/22/16 at 17:49:51

Good luck with the Kenda, I had them on my pc800 and with about half the tread left the rear got a big bubble in the tread. I guess it separated between the plys. Went back to the 555's.
I have a 3.5'' 15'' alum. rim on my s40 rear and could not get a car tire to inflate straight at all. 10 tries at 70 psi and I gave up. Had to cut that brand new tire off the rim. OUCH!  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:31:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dark siding again

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.