Dark siding again (Read 559 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Dark siding again
Reply #15 - 01/04/16 at 20:00:56

OldFeller ,  its kinda embarrassing ,,,  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed  ---  : Shipping and all it was $97.41 to my door.  Huh

but I like the tread pattern and you know how long they last .  Smiley

Do a search for 145/65-15 tire ,   there are some cheeper ones pop up.

I'll get back to ya'll when I go to mounting it  Smiley

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=140-80r15-145-65r15

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #16 - 01/05/16 at 05:14:46

I'm interested in how the mounting goes.  A few years back I tried to mount a VW tire like in OF's old darkside thread.  (I can't remember the exact size right now - maybe 135 R ?) Could not get it on the rim, actually tore the tire bead, destroyed tire trying.  I was using dish soap for lube like always.

I have done all my own tires ever since getting the bike ( 6 or 8 by now I guess) but never had trouble like that!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 01/05/16 at 05:35:26

MMRanch wrote on 01/04/16 at 20:00:56:
OldFeller ,  its kinda embarrassing ,,,  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed  ---  : Shipping and all it was $97.41 to my door.  Huh

I expected the price to have doubled, that is what I always see when I go to buy tires or batteries -- the durn things cost twice as much as they did last time.

This time the ouch wasn't on me, however, that was an "observed ouch" which is calorie free.

Roll Eyes

Same price as a bike tire, lasts 4 times longer -- still not bad .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #18 - 01/05/16 at 20:10:50

That is cheap. The crappy LT265/75R16E (31-10.50-16 10 ply rated) ChiCom mud tires I put on the 4wd Chevy last week were $178/ea out the door. Normally $209/ea out the door.

The tires I actually wanted, LT9.00-16G, a 14 ply rated bias 36-9.50-16, are $285 each, plus $40 each shipping, plus $25 each to mount and balance.

I paid $300 for the running and driving truck... And it is a V8 automatic with working everything and a good to decent body.  Angry

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #19 - 01/05/16 at 21:41:47

Kris wrote :
That tire is over 1.25" shorter than stock. That will really influence your gearing. Just FYI.

yea I was looking at the link to speed correction ... looks like a 6% lost

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=140-80r15-145-65r15

I can get my speed back with the Kawasaki front pulley +- 8%  Smiley   maybe plus a little ?   if need be .

If I need long legs , I've still got the Harley (its got a taller primary + bigger front pulley).   Tongue

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 01/05/16 at 21:47:17

see if the kawa pulleys, front and back will fix that.

WWW   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #21 - 01/06/16 at 07:27:13

WD wrote on 01/05/16 at 20:10:50:
That is cheap. The crappy LT265/75R16E (31-10.50-16 10 ply rated) ChiCom mud tires I put on the 4wd Chevy last week were $178/ea out the door. Normally $209/ea out the door.

The tires I actually wanted, LT9.00-16G, a 14 ply rated bias 36-9.50-16, are $285 each, plus $40 each shipping, plus $25 each to mount and balance.

I paid $300 for the running and driving truck... And it is a V8 automatic with working everything and a good to decent body.  Angry

darn you like serious tires
I guess farm work sort of requires them. I'm glad I don't need tires that serious

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #22 - 01/06/16 at 21:35:15

Versey wrote :

Re:   see if the kawa pulleys, front and back will fix that.

O-Yea versey just the front Kawa pulley will fix the loss Plus an extra 2%.  

tire        - 6%
F. Pulley + 8%

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 01/07/16 at 05:57:10

I have never "darksided" myself - but I have mounted a lot of tires...with and without tubes.

The beads on car tires are about twice as wide as motorcycle tires, and mostly because of the need for the tire to stay seated on the rim when the car is turning and placing lateral forces on the tire.

I believe Oldfeller be onto something when he trims the rubber off the inside of the car tire before mounting it - it will be pretty hard to get those wide beads onto the narrow rim with the tube/valve stem between them.

When you are mounting the second side of the tire onto the rim - start on the side opposite the valve stem so that the last part of the tire to go over the rim is at the valve stem....that should help a little bit.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #24 - 01/07/16 at 07:46:41

Thanks Dave !  Smiley

Harley tank get first coat of paint Friday and hopefully last coat of clear coat next week , then its out of the shop and the S-40 goes in .  Wink

I can hardly wait !  Roll Eyes

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #25 - 01/20/16 at 22:19:51

I hope to start on the dark side tire tomorrow !  Thursday that is . Smiley

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 01/21/16 at 06:28:35

When you figure out the section that won't pop up on the rim, don't screw around with liquid tire lube for too long -- go with the axle grease on that troubled section before you try and try and try and wind up kinking up your bead steel permanently.

And yeah, trim your excess bead lip rubber, it helps.

In contrast to Dave's recommendation, I would start seating the beads manually at the stem with the troubled section intentionally winding up being located away from the stem, simply because all the heavy tire iron action should be away from the stem to keep from catching it or damaging it.

With the inner tube being held centralized by the stem, there is a lot more tire iron scraping of the tube rubber that will take place.   By doing it away from the stem the tire irons simply push the free floating tube out of the way over to the free space that is available inside the tire.  

And yeah, I put a tiny bit of air in the tube to keep it from having saggy wrinkles that tire irons jest love to catch and pinch through.  Not enough to show on a gage, but enough to very lightly feel when you push the stem in.

This way you stand a chance of being able to poke the stem out the hole and have it to stay there without getting all twisted around or damaged by tire iron action levering everything against the stem hole.  I would only thread the outer nut a turn or three so the stem can move freely in and out over the length of the free threads during the wrassling match which you will take part in.

If your stem is cocked after the wrassing match is over, deflate completely but do so slowly while tugging on the stem to encourage the tire to move over at that magic point where it is inflated just enough to clear the rim and not big enough to seize its OD on the tire.   Be patent, there is a zone where the inner tube is mostly floating free.  

It generally takes a inflate/deflate or two to get the sucker go ahead and move back over to where it belongs.

Roll Eyes

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #27 - 01/21/16 at 07:11:00

Thanks for the "Tips" there OldFeller  !  Smiley

I had the notion to bring it up to max pressure and walk away for a few days .  Kinda  let it do some stretching/relaxing on its own.  Then let the air out and lube the FARR out of it.   In January time is on my side.  Roll Eyes

S_40_tire_1.jpg

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 01/21/16 at 07:22:37

Yep...it is January and that does give you some time.

However.....it doesn't allow you to set the tire out in the sun and get it really hot and flexible to make it a bit easier to wrestle with.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #29 - 01/21/16 at 07:29:25

stick it in the oven on 'warm'
Hide the wife's brooms, knives, and other potential weapons before doing this
ESPECIALLY THE CAST ARN SKILLET!

conversely you could just set it in front of a propane heater, I'm sure the ranch has one or two of those  Grin

My trick for press in ball joints: ball joint in freezer, control arm in oven. Big Friggin Hammer (in addition to big fancy C clamp based ball joint press)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:30:56

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dark siding again

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.