Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Thermals? Is going wool worth it? (Read 191 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Thermals? Is going wool worth it?
12/29/15 at 10:46:44

I currently have cotton thermals, as most people probably do, but I have been considering getting some cheap(-er or -est) merino thermals since I used to love wearing that old wool coat I have. As many have said, wool is like some sort of miracle fabric. It works for many weather conditions despite being warm  Shocked, is flame-resistant, and even gets warm when wet Shocked. It just works Cool... period. I have noticed that it takes a lot of thermals to keep the legs warm simply because of the wind. Should I worry more about wool thermals (expensive), or chaps (costs about as much Tongue). I do know the old saying that cotton kills.

Fat chance I'll be caught drenched in a cold spell, especially with my tendency to ride like the postal service. "Neither rain nor snow nor sleet nor hail...." Grin Well, I'm not sure about doing those last three for a while Roll Eyes. Can't drive my parents totally insane Roll Eyes Grin. My cousin just jumped all over me for riding on a wet, foggy night Sad. But then, maybe she's biased... After all, I was determined to visit my cousin that Christmas day, even if I arrived half a day late... think being awakened from sleep at midnight by your nutty cousin on a motorbike Grin... on a night like that... in the backwoods, too. A couple days later, I got a talkin' to! Roll Eyes.

I had spent most of the day visiting family members, and my pants were drenched worse than I have ever done before from riding. My boots were slopped with water. It was a mess! I didn't wear thermals either, except for a sweater I brought with me just in case. I sure ended up using it, eventually. It was during this warm Christmas thing. I didn't get very far from my house before realizing that I probably should have put on the long johns.

Anyway... Roll Eyes What will I do with cotton? Freeze to death Shocked?

Will wool do the legs any better than cotton, or do I just need chaps?

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: Thermals? Is going wool worth it?
Reply #1 - 12/29/15 at 10:58:53

I dunno about chaps, but on a moto in the cold you need SOMETHING that will block wind
I had good luck wearing wind pants over my regular pants
rain gear works well for this too, even the 'breathable' frogg toggs will keep the wind off

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 12/29/15 at 15:32:32

Yes, believe it or not, a good pair of rain gear will help keep you warmer as it keeps the wind at bay.
When it drops below 45, I start wearing long johns under my gear, when it gets below 38 ish... I put on a "wind breaker" like rain gear or some of the textile stuff I have that is "rain resistant".
I'm a fan of the "layers" is better. I'll wear a tank top, a long sleave thermal (or long sleeve t-shirt), a regular longsleeve shirt. then maybe a lightweight hoody, then my motorcycle jacket. Then if I need to, I wear the rain gear jacket.
For my lowers, I wear a thick pair of socks, thermals, then a thin pair of socks, then my jeans. And if I need more, the raingear bottoms.
I have a pair of cold weather guantlets, but sometimes I wear those thin brown gloves inside them.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #3 - 12/29/15 at 18:58:09

What do you think is the best deal for overpants? Frogg Toggs? Does anyone have opinions on wool underwear?

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 12/29/15 at 19:07:13

old_rider wrote on 12/29/15 at 15:32:32:
I have a pair of cold weather guantlets, but sometimes I wear those thin brown gloves inside them.

I'm desparately needing a new pair of riding gloves for the winter. What do you wear? Like 'em? Pros/cons?

When it's really cold out I wear a pair of flannel pajama bottoms under my jeans. Helps 1000%.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #5 - 12/29/15 at 19:39:30

I have a pair of cheap riding gloves. I think we got them for less than 10 bucks. They've served me very well for the price I paid. They even have gel padding.  Smiley I think I rode them through both crashes, and they are still fine, though they didn't take the brunt of the punishment, I don't think. They are summer gloves, however. I also have some insulated Fulmer deerskin gauntlets, but I paid about 40 bucks for them. I can't say the difference in price was worth it for me. They are lightly insulated, and my fingertips can still get chilled. I also have some silk glove liners, but I haven't gotten the chance to test their effectiveness yet Wink.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #6 - 12/29/15 at 19:46:15

This is the one, I believe. http://www.jafrum.com/motorcycle-gloves/GL2091

I am very pleased for the price.

Here is something I stumbled across that is interesting-- heated glove liners, and the price is not outrageous http://www.jafrum.com/motorcycle-gloves/mens-motorcycle-gloves/heated-gloves-...

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #7 - 12/29/15 at 20:00:41

Actually, Revzilla carries an even cheaper heated glove liner, but then the controller costs $119 Tongue. Not sure if Gerbing makes a cheaper controller. I just scanned over it.

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 12/30/15 at 06:01:57

The US Army used woolen clothing (long underwear, wool field pants & overcoats) for cold weather until the advent of synthetic materiald, a.k.a., "poly-pro." Wool & silk retain much of their insulating properties when wet since they absorb less water than cotton. Synthetic insulation, such as Dacron batting, has similar properties, making it more practical for garments and sleeping bags that goose/duck down.

Electrically-heated clothing is a viable alternative alternative IF the motorcycle's generator produces sufficient charging power for the 'cycles operation (ignition system + lighting) plus charging the battery. Automotive charging systems can be more robust since the generator/alternator is not incorporated directly into the engine. For example, if you've ever jump-started a car with a dead battery, that car's charging system can re-charge the battery at idle.

In most motorcycles, however, the charging system is directly incorporated into the powerplant, thereby limiting its size and generating capacity; in fact, most 'cycle charging systems don't begin to recharge the battery until about 1500-2000 rpm. (I found this out with my first "big bike," a BMW 800cc. Riding it to work & around town,, the battery would slowly lose its charge, since repeated starting used up more battery power than was generated to replace it (a so-called "energy debt").

So, bottom line, if the energy used (lights, starting, ignition system...plus added loads of driving lights, stereos, GPS, heated clothing) is greater than the amount generated, the battery will eventually discharge to the point that the power available is insufficient to power the electronic ignition or re-start the motorcycle.  Also, the repeated depletion of the battery can cause premature battery failure (at least in the traditional, flooded-cell lead/acid batteries).

My "2˘"...perhaps others here who have more in-depth knowledge of the Savage/S40's  charging system than I could provide hard data on the system's output....until then (alas!), I'll refrain from plugging in my electric vest.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 12/30/15 at 09:17:15

Kris01 wrote on 12/29/15 at 19:07:13:
old_rider wrote on 12/29/15 at 15:32:32:

I'm desparately needing a new pair of riding gloves for the winter. What do you wear? Like 'em? Pros/cons?

When it's really cold out I wear a pair of flannel pajama bottoms under my jeans. Helps 1000%.

I have the Harley winter gauntlets, bought them when i had my road glide, they are very bulky. I have to wear a thin pair of gloves under them when it gets in the thirties.
I am actually planning on building some wind deflectors for the handle bars this winter. or buy some like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMOKE-Motorcycle-Hand-Guard-Wind-Deflector-For-Harley...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 12/30/15 at 09:38:48

Rodger wrote on 12/30/15 at 06:01:57:
My "2˘"...perhaps others here who have more in-depth knowledge of the Savage/S40's  charging system than I could provide hard data on the system's output....until then (alas!), I'll refrain from plugging in my electric vest.

the savage is capable of running to 55/60 headlights if you're running it at a good speed for at least a half hour.
but I'd recommend you use a battery monitor as that hasn't been empirically determined.

all leather goods insulate much better if they are treated to seal the pores.
I do mine at the beginning of winter and it's good for the rest of the year... of course winter here is only 4 weeks.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #11 - 12/31/15 at 07:32:57

whatchu treatin yer leathers with versy?

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #12 - 12/31/15 at 08:08:28

I had a logging business for years and we worked I all kinds of weather. We got plenty wet too and cold. We would shut down on days when the mercury was in the negative 20 range because it was hard on hydraulic systems. Wool was the rule of the day on all but the hottest of days. When it is wet wool simply stands on its own as the ONLY fabric that will keep you comfortable. When its cold and you get sweated up from working it will dissipate the moisture like nothing else and without stinking. There are other fabrics that will disssipate moisture but the trade off is the residual smell.
You can hang wool outside and it will freshen from the cool night air and the next day put it on and it smells fresh again. Try that with any other material. I have 6 Pendelton will shirts, I don't wear one everyday but quite often, and they get dry cleaned once per year and my wife is really finicky about cleanliness.

You will, however, need to have something to break the wind unless you use boiled wool. Boiled wool is waterproof and wind proof and EXTREMELY expensive. Years ago boiled wool is what they used to break the wind before synthetics.

When I was riding late into the fall this year I was riding with layers starting with a long sleeved cotton T, a merino wool sweater, a wool vest and a bicycling wind breaker. I was good down to about 40. Below that and it was gloves and a pair of carpenter knee pads to keep the wind off. Below 30 I'm  done riding. Gets to frosty in these parts.

You can't beat wool with a wind breaker of some sort.

Sorry for the length��

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 12/31/15 at 08:38:47

Thanks Gus, I never heard of boiled wool. Interesting post.

In Texas we don't SEE stuff for sale that is sold up North. The best cold weather gear is sold where cold weather is.
I did know a guy who had an oilfield job and they needed him to go to Siberia. The company sent him to Houston, measured him, and custom built him some really good looking gear. Lots of fur.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #14 - 12/31/15 at 08:45:14

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/31/15 at 08:38:47:
Thanks Gus, I never heard of boiled wool. Interesting post.

In Texas we don't SEE stuff for sale that is sold up North. The best cold weather gear is sold where cold weather is.
I did know a guy who had an oilfield job and they needed him to go to Siberia. The company sent him to Houston, measured him, and custom built him some really good looking gear. Lots of fur.

I spent a winter in Antarctica for the National Science Foundation; but that is another story for another thread maybe. Siberia . . .gets cold there too I hear.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:27:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › Thermals? Is going wool worth it?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.