Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cam chain check simplified please (Read 108 times)
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
cam chain check simplified please
12/29/15 at 10:05:39

I'm getting ready to install my new Verslavy chain tensioner and the tech section instructions from V1 are very easy to follow, so I don't anticipate any problems.
However, in that text there is reference ( good photos with the chain removed from the engine) to checking the chain for wear and a statement 'Here's a chain check I'm trying to work out"  (dated 02/01/10)  with a thread to click on that takes me to more discussions that reference more threads to click on  and it goes on, and  on, and on. I think a European member was measuring distances between several links with the chain in place, then doing some simply math to get a measurement. The V1  post (at the 2010 post) says remove the clutch and primary gear, etc. But when I follow other threads, others say don't remove these (unless you have a known  specific problem?) as you will create a nightmare for yourself.
There is so much written on the subject, spanning so many years,  that I find it overwhelming. As I've never worked on a motorcycle before, perhaps I would be getting in over my ability. I hate to take it to a dealer. If this info has been distilled down somewhere that I've overlooked on the forum, please direct me there.

2012 S40 w/12,000 miles: drag bars with bar end weights, raised seat, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: cam chain check simplified please
Reply #1 - 12/29/15 at 11:20:36

1st... don't panic (which one's the friendly font again?)
2nd... thing's in there require putting back with a torque wrench.
         if you don't have one... don't do it.
         if you feel it's beyond you... don't do it. (it really isn't, but some day you'll get there)

Having said this, you need a good measuring stick to make this check.  granny's yard stick won't do.
HF has a digital caliper on sale with a coupon for $10, go get it.
The required measurement is over 21 pins or 20 links, 127mm or 5" is brand new from the center to center.
That's kinda hard to do, with the digital caliper, you can set zero over 1 pin and then just measure over the outside of the 21 pins and get the center to center distance.
If you measure anything over 5" on 21 pins that's the stretch you have, you're allowed .075"

Now, without removing the chain you can't measure over 21 pins.  And I think without removing the gear you can't measure over 11 pins for half the distance.  so measure the number of pins you can measure, divide that number by 20, then multiply by 5 for the "new" length. repeat for .075 for the allowance.

WWW   IP Logged
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
Reply #2 - 12/29/15 at 13:24:53

I'll  set up an equation using known results for a new chain.

20 links/21 pins on a new chain= 5.0"

5.0" divided by 20 links= .25 " for each link

If I could only measure 9 pins/ 8 links that would= 2.0"

2.0 divided by 20= .10

.10 multiplied by 5= .5" ( not 5.0")

Is there a typo in your text or am I not understanding?

2012 S40 w/12,000 miles: drag bars with bar end weights, raised seat, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 12/29/15 at 13:51:18

rijopiatt wrote on 12/29/15 at 13:24:53:
I'll  set up an equation using known results for a new chain.

20 links/21 pins on a new chain= 5.0"

5.0" divided by 20 links= .25 " for each link

If I could only measure 9 pins/ 8 links that would= 2.0"

2.0 divided by 20= .10

.10 multiplied by 5= .5" ( not 5.0")

Is there a typo in your text or am I not understanding?

You're understanding the principle, but I wasn't clear enough for you.
Quote:
so measure the number of pins you can measure, divide that number by 20, then multiply by 5 for the "new" length. repeat for .075 for the allowance.

(8links/20links)*5newlength=2.0"=expected measurement
(8/20)*.075=.030" max. allowance

WWW   IP Logged
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
Reply #4 - 12/29/15 at 18:08:31

Got it. If I were at 2.030", using the example, it's time to replace the chain. Thanks for your patience.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 12/29/15 at 21:26:51

What's the mileage?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
Reply #6 - 12/30/15 at 06:53:07

12,000 miles.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 12/30/15 at 09:59:33

Is there some indication that there is a problem? That's a few thousand below the typical time when it really needs to be done.
Unless you have a real reason, noises, etc, then id ride and read and really get this process worked through mentally, before I grabbed a wrench.
An organized disassembly makes a job easier.
Know where you are going to put things before you have them in hand.
A profile of the engine on cardboard with a slot stabbed in it where each bolt goes.
Some people have needed attention to the chain tensioner at around 12, not sure we fully understand exactly what causes some to need attention sooner than others, but there is plenty of speculation, and, IF we say that the chains themselves are created equal, which I have my doubts about, then we get to how long, on average, the engine was run when it was started. And RPM, and what oil,
But I don't think it's time for a chain.

Seems like on the early bikes the chain lasted longer.
What year model is it?

But, Do get the Versy and the gasket. You Will be in there one day.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 12/30/15 at 12:15:21

I was just recently at 19mm with 10K on the bike.  Bought it with less than 3K so I know for a fact all but those first 3K miles were run with Rotella oil and zinc booster.
Indication was chain noise getting progressively louder and I thought it best to check it when I dropped the oil for the 10K service.
'Slavy installed, noise gone.

Some need intervention sooner than others.  Many have speculated that premature chain stretch could be due to shorter rides.  I don't ride short 5-10 mile runs but the bike is my commuter vehicle so it does only run about 24 miles one way.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
Reply #9 - 12/30/15 at 18:18:31

To All- No problem that I'm aware of. I'm simply taking advantage of having the chain exposed while installing the "Versy" to educate myself more about the engine, as I've never worked on one before. I figure I'll have a benchmark for future reference when checking the advancement of chain wear.
Between Clymer, The Motorcycle Companion, Tech Section and all the knowledgeable forum members, I hope to avoid having to rely on a dealership for mechanical work as much as possible. I do have mechanical ability and I'm detail oriented, as I've built an ultralight aircraft from scratch, requiring the design and fabrication of components.  However, my experience with engines is very limited. I think that incrementally I will be able to go deeper, literally, into the engine when required with the resources mentioned.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 12/30/15 at 18:20:27

Tocsik, what year model was that?

Aside from the idea that the length of trip/time engine stays at operating temperatures, rather than just getting warmed up, shutting off, rinse, repeat,,  
I'm wondering if the chains are just not as good as they were a few years ago.

I'm gonna have to start a thread...

19 mm at 10,000 miles is just hard to imagine. Wow...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:14:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › cam chain check simplified please

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.