DEER!!! (Read 202 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Re: DEER!!!
Reply #15 - 12/29/15 at 18:24:14

I thought about letting him by, but I didn't bother with the trouble of it. I didn't have a very long way to go. I didn't think about letting the car hit the deer for me Cheesy.

With my luck, the deer will skip the car and hit me Grin, or I'll rear end the car  Grin

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #16 - 12/29/15 at 18:54:14

oldNslow wrote on 12/29/15 at 18:16:28:
I live in deer country, and if I can arrange to have a car run interference for me I do it.

Me too! I feel a little sadistic sometimes for doing it but better him than me. A cage driver is waaay more protected than I am naked and invisible on a bike.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #17 - 12/29/15 at 19:30:55

[/quote]

The question is this: Are you going to let a wreck scare you out of riding? Are you going to have an injury and use a little pain as an excuse to quit on life? [/quote]

So, in your 24 years, have you ever been injured to the point you spent weeks or months in hospital, had skin grafts, bones plated and screwed or suffered the emotional setbacks a severe injury can cause?
I really hope not. Me either, just the usual bumps and bruises. I have friends who will never walk again, have lost limbs or use of them and suffered extreme emotional trauma through accidents of one kind or another. Until you walk in those shoes you really have no idea.

FWIW when I was injured after I was knocked off by a car, I didn't ride for a good long while- at least a year. No significant injuries (sprains, bruises) but affected me mentally for sure. My cousin's husband lost his leg in a moto accident a few weeks ago and believe me he's not travelling well.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #18 - 12/29/15 at 19:39:05

I agree with Gizzo...to a point. Life is hard, get a helmet. If something bad happens to you doing something you love, don't let that bad occurrence prevent you from enjoying yourself after you heal....if you are physically capable. Get back on that horse and ride!

I've been lucky enough to have been in 2 motorcycle accidents in my life and walked away unharmed. They were very minor. The first (I was 6), we slid in some gravel riding 2-up with my Dad. We rode home. The next (when I was learning to ride), I turned left and totally flubbed the turn at 10 mph. I ended up dumping the bike in some soft, wet grass. The "accidents" were very minor looking back but, at the time, they were enough to stop me from riding again. I enjoy it too much. As long as I'm physically able, I'll continue to ride.

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #19 - 12/29/15 at 20:04:22

gizzo wrote on 12/29/15 at 19:30:55:

The question is this: Are you going to let a wreck scare you out of riding? Are you going to have an injury and use a little pain as an excuse to quit on life? [/quote]

So, in your 24 years, have you ever been injured to the point you spent weeks or months in hospital, had skin grafts, bones plated and screwed or suffered the emotional setbacks a severe injury can cause?
I really hope not. Me either, just the usual bumps and bruises. I have friends who will never walk again, have lost limbs or use of them and suffered extreme emotional trauma through accidents of one kind or another. Until you walk in those shoes you really have no idea.

FWIW when I was injured after I was knocked off by a car, I didn't ride for a good long while- at least a year. No significant injuries (sprains, bruises) but affected me mentally for sure. My cousin's husband lost his leg in a moto accident a few weeks ago and believe me he's not travelling well.
[/quote]

You're right-- I don't know. I had a wreck that irked me a little, but that was a cakewalk to what some have to deal with.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #20 - 12/29/15 at 20:30:53

I like that idea of getting a cage to run interference .   I do that at intersections when I'm turning left , but letting them make a freshly cleared path through the deer is a good idea.
I've seen deer legs go off like springs at the sound of a horn more than once .  Yea ,that deer in the headlights unfreezes when the horn goes off.
Mostly, I trust the Lord has chores lined up for me for a long time into the future.

Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #21 - 12/30/15 at 07:31:47

out here I share the road with gravel trucks, they make great 'interference' it's the automotive equivalent of having 'the fridge' blocking for you  Grin

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #22 - 12/30/15 at 17:43:33

I am not sure how to do this on a motorcycle, but I know from driving an automobile if you kill the head lights the instant you see a deer ahead of you it will be gone by the time you get to where you first saw him.

In Canada many cars and trucks have a little propeller that attaches to the front of the vehicle that when it spins it makes a noise that animals hear and get off the road.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #23 - 12/30/15 at 19:24:03

They also sell those little high pitch whistler thingies, but they're useless.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #24 - 12/30/15 at 22:20:10

I ride a lot, with a couple of buddies... and I always ride in front...

I thought I was special...  Huh    
I may be sacrificial?... Undecided

I am the most experienced crasher...  Grin

My theory is,.. if you see a critter in the road,... aim for him...
It's what they are expecting... Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 12/31/15 at 04:02:23

Serowbot wrote on 12/30/15 at 22:20:10:
My theory is,.. if you see a critter in the road,... aim for him...
It's what they are expecting... Cool

I have heard that theory before.  If you aim for them and blow the horn you know they are going to do something and bolt in some direction - and they will not be in that spot when you get there.

So far the brakes have been able to keep me out of trouble.  I do a lot of evening riding on the local country roads,  and when darkness sets in I cut my speed significantly.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Bluewolf
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 01/01/16 at 09:21:59

I had a close encounter about five years ago, with a deer.  In the afternoon, northern Florida.  I was going about 45, no hurries, no worries.  I heard a strange noise, then it was in front of me about two feet above the bike, then gone.  No amount of braking could have helped, it was gone before I had time to react.  I say if you see one just let off the gas and be ready to brake, if it gives you that much time.  Otherwise I would use the Pray method previous suggested.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:33:56

General CategoryThe Cafe › DEER!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.