DEER!!! (Read 202 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
DEER!!!
12/29/15 at 09:09:12

I had an EXTREMELY close call with a deer a couple days ago.(Tell you about it later)

How do you guys handle the country roads at night? How do you not total a half dozen bikes a year and stay in the hospital after striking endless supplies of half-witted deer? Angry

I've read someone mention here about upgrading one's brake pads for safety? On the other hand, if I had stronger front brakes, they could lock up in a panic stop and leave me laying on the ground Angry
Which is worse?

I'm also curious how many of you have eerie gut feelings before they are about to encounter a road hazard? I had a bad feeling the last time I wrecked, and I had a bad feeling that night as well. It's like the road gets creepy. Huh

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: DEER!!!
Reply #1 - 12/29/15 at 09:26:27

cheapnewb24 wrote on 12/29/15 at 09:09:12:
I'm also curious how many of you have eerie gut feelings before they are about to encounter a road hazard? I had a bad feeling the last time I wrecked, and I had a bad feeling that night as well. It's like the road gets creepy. Huh

I went for a ride on Christmas day, and got that feeling on the way home...  So much so, that I considered pulling over for while... but I didn't...
Nuttin' happened...
My psychic powers ain't so good...  Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #2 - 12/29/15 at 09:44:39

I know this advice doesn't help if you need your motorcycle for transportation, but the best solution is don't ride your bike in high risk situations or at high risk times.

There is one street in Wichita that I just don't take my motorcycle, unless I really have to. It is in a suburban shopping areas. Two miles of two lanes each direction with a center turn lane, many right side turn lanes and even more business driveways connecting to the street. Traffic is busy and the speed limit is 40MPH, as if anyone obeys it. There is simply too much traffic going on to keep track of it all and it makes me highly nervous to be in that kind of traffic mix.

My mom always told me that if there is someplace that is known for trouble, don't go there.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #3 - 12/29/15 at 09:45:58

I watch for deer
I slow if I see them
I cover the brake
I pray
Short prayer  
Oh lord please not a deer in the face
last may not help, but it can't hurt, either

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 12/29/15 at 11:21:36

When I went Deal's Gap at the end of he summer the guy in the cabin next to mine hit a deer on the Skyway.  He said he was going about 45 and it jumped out of no where.  He was skinned up pretty good and his bike took a lot damage.  He was able to get back to where he could ride it home; although, it looked about 2K worth of damage.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #5 - 12/29/15 at 11:35:30

I guess that's why you ride a cheap, beat up bike --- nothing to lose Wink.

One of the biggest things is to keep riding -- never give up or let fear stop you from riding (within reason) no matter how many times you wreck. That is what takes and builds personal strength.

Am I not correct?

My cousin told me about how he stopped riding and sold his dirt bike after he crashed it years ago. Don't know how many times he crashed before. I guess that's what gets many people out of riding-- they get scared out of riding, or they lose heart and give up.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #6 - 12/29/15 at 15:09:33

Could be they do a risk v reward assessment and decide riding is not worth it to them. They know they could end up injured or dead and decide riding doesnt mean enough to them to be worth it. I've quit skating half pipes and pools because of it. Too old. Get hurt too easily. Would still love to do it but the risk is not worth it to me. I still ride, fly, surf, dive and wakeboarding because those games are still worth the risk to me.

Re the deer thing: we have mostly kangaroos to worry about and there are some times you just don't ride because of them. Last interstate trip I did at night (in a car) we were slowed to 60 kph for about 4 hours to make it safe.

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #7 - 12/29/15 at 15:28:09

"One of the biggest things is to keep riding -- never give up or let fear stop you from riding (within reason) no matter how many times you wreck. That is what takes and builds personal strength."

No matter how many times you wreck? No offense, 24, but that is spoken like a true young person with their usual attitude of immortality. To me, a bunch of wrecks means you are probably overdriving your ability. However, in general motorcyclists are like airplane pilots. The saying is there old pilots, there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots.

I ride for fun, not for on-the-edge thrills. I've been riding off and on since a teen in 1968. I'm grateful that I have only dropped a street bike twice. Once was a slow speed intersection on dark, wet, leafy streets. The other was taking the ditch when an oncoming car passed on the curve and came around the curve in my lane. Luckily, I saw him start his little maneuver while he was still on the far side of the curve.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 12/29/15 at 16:44:03

I just sold a Mustang that I've had for 15 years because 2 deer hit both front fenders within 2 weeks of each other...and then the front brakes went out. Not worth fixing! I'll miss her though!

On a positive note, the kids and I are completely unhurt!  Smiley

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #9 - 12/29/15 at 16:57:07

The reason I wreck is probably not because I'm a squid (I don't think I'm one of those). I think the reason is because I haven't been riding long, I make mistakes/poor choices as a result, and I am willing to ride in less than ideal conditions. I talked to a girl who rides a mid-size metric cruiser (Yamaha, I think). From what she said, I don't think she had ever taken her bike on gravel, mud, or the superslab; and she has been riding at least twice as long as I have. Her bike is probably more comfortable on the Interstate than mine, and she won't try it; I have. Heck, I can't even get out of the house without going through gravel and dirt/mud. If I was too scared to slip and slide in the mud, I probably wouldn't get much riding done. Tongue

If I were scared of gravel, there would be no way I could ride short of parking the bike at a neighbor's house Tongue.

I almost dropped it the other day when the tires got so clogged with mud that the thing just wouldn't hold itself up. I literally had to set my feet down and hold the thing from falling flat. It had leaned over, ready to hit the ground, and I had to wrestle it back up. Both of my real wrecks, though, have been on asphalt.

There are sometimes I literally have to peel the clods of mud off the cylinder fins. Good for keeping the engine warm on cold days. Cheesy ... Uh... maybe... Roll Eyes

Tonight, I stayed below the speed limit in certain areas due to deer. The fellow behind me probably wished I would get out of his way Roll Eyes.

There have been nights recently that I've had to stay notably below the speed limit (maybe too slow) because I didn't feel confident with the conditions.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #10 - 12/29/15 at 17:05:56

bobert_FSO wrote on 12/29/15 at 15:28:09:
"One of the biggest things is to keep riding -- never give up or let fear stop you from riding (within reason) no matter how many times you wreck. That is what takes and builds personal strength."

No matter how many times you wreck? No offense, 24, but that is spoken like a true young person with their usual attitude of immortality. To me, a bunch of wrecks means you are probably overdriving your ability. However, in general motorcyclists are like airplane pilots. The saying is there old pilots, there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots.

I ride for fun, not for on-the-edge thrills. I've been riding off and on since a teen in 1968. I'm grateful that I have only dropped a street bike twice. Once was a slow speed intersection on dark, wet, leafy streets. The other was taking the ditch when an oncoming car passed on the curve and came around the curve in my lane. Luckily, I saw him start his little maneuver while he was still on the far side of the curve.

I guess the idea is perseverance in the face of trouble. I've had my share of things I've given up on or set aside. That last wreck bothered me a little, but I haven't let it make me stop riding. I reckon there are some that have managed to never wreck, but as the old saying goes:

"There are those that have been down, and there are those who are going down."

The question is this: Are you going to let a wreck scare you out of riding? Are you going to have an injury and use a little pain as an excuse to quit on life?

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 12/29/15 at 17:07:55

If you don't feel confident, it will show. You have now become a traffic hazard and a danger to yourself and everyone around you.

Don't worry - you're not alone!  Embarrassed

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #12 - 12/29/15 at 17:55:30

When you're on a dark, two lane, back country road with twisties, varying pavement conditions, possible dirt/gravel/debris, and deer everywhere, anything can happen. Doing the posted 55 mph in some cases, especially when it's wet and foggy, might be unwise. There have been times I wouldn't do much more than 30 or so, much less 55.

I know one place where you basically ascend/descend a fairly steep woodsy mountain with tight curves and twigs/debris everywhere. Not sure of the speed limit, but you can't go fast there.

There are places I've ridden (including the one above) that have a curve so steep that you end up basically crawling around the curve.

I know a place (a church) that, until recently, had a pile of loose gravel in the road. When you hit that stuff, you can feel the rear tire come loose Shocked.

I get what you're saying, though. The cagers don't think much of road conditions, as cars are more forgiving with 4 wheels, cage, and anti-lock brakes. It still affects cars, but it's not nearly as dangerous as it is to a motorcyclist. When I'm driving the Subaru, I drive a relatively normal speed regardless if it's wet or dark.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #13 - 12/29/15 at 18:12:05

Tonight, I rode in a place I'm used to, so it's not too bad, but I've had a deer jump in front of me there while driving the car.

Today was a good day to ride, and I feel like I'm starting to feel more comfortable riding again.  Smiley

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #14 - 12/29/15 at 18:16:28

Quote:
 The fellow behind me probably wished I would get out of his way

No shame in pulling over and letting him by. Getting rear ended 'cause you had to get on the binders to avoid a deer isn't any better than hitting the deer. I live in deer country, and if I can arrange to have a car run interference for me I do it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:26:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › DEER!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.