You tube is your friend (Read 57 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
You tube is your friend
12/28/15 at 22:36:04

Well, over the past year I have discovered that some one, some where, has had the same problems I have had with my appliances, vehicles, electronics and well, just about everything else Smiley
And has posted a fix on you tube!
My sister-in-law (bipolar we are helping her get on her own), bought a 17" Lenovo laptop about a year and a half ago, and had inadvertently closed it while her glasses were laying on the keyboard.
Yup you guessed it, her screen cracked in multiple places not allowing her to see what was up. So me being the nice guy I am, let her borrow one of my extra little 15" monitors I had lying around in the closet.
We told her to take it to the place she bought it from to get it fixed.... to bad, to late, warranty doesn't cover "personal damage" (miss use).
She asked what they would charge to replace the screen, and the gentleman behind the counter stated "you might as well buy a new one, it would cost just about the same to replace it".
To make a long story short.... I watched a you tube video on teardown and replacement on HER PARTICULAR laptop (guy has several models he shows you how), took it apart and got the numbers, ordered one on ebay for $37 bucks and bingo!! Like new!
It was her Christmas gift from us Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: You tube is your friend
Reply #1 - 12/29/15 at 04:04:16

Yep.....the LED third brake light on my wife's Honda stopped working.  On Youtube a fellow showed you where to re-solder a wire joint....and bingo it worked again!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #2 - 12/29/15 at 05:21:36

Things I've learned from Youtube:
Remove an Enfield decompressor
Juggle
make Library of Congress subject headings
ride a unicycle
anything to do with MS Word
fix my printer
paint with 2 pack paint
use Dolphin Glaze putty
Wheelstand a motorcycle
Fly a RC helicopter
Vacuum bag composites
pronounce "chiaroscuro"
and so much more. Thank you YouTube for the education and also for wasting many many hours watching trash  Cheesy

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 12/29/15 at 06:38:48

YouTube has helped me with the following:

Fix the roof of my house.
Installed hardwood floors.
Removing door panels on several different vehicles to replace window motors or install speakers.
Fix / replace the heating element on our clothes dryer.
Replace the motor and pump assembly in our dishwasher.
Learn to sweat copper pipe.
I single-handedly did a professional looking finish of our basement, complete with a full bathroom by watching videos and reading stuff online.
Learned to build computers (I've built or rebuilt several desktop gaming PC's).
Cut my dog's hair (he's a Cockapoo and needs frequent grooming).
Built a fold-up stand for my force feedback racing wheel.
Learned to solder better.
Built a firepit out of flagstone stripstone and laid flagstone around it with Irish moss in the seams (learned a lot about laying the stripstone and flagstone on the YouTubes).
Rebuilt my scooter transmission, changed tires multiple times, upgraded several parts.
Learned to grill, BBQ and generally cook meat better (love the amazing ribs web site!).

I'm sure there's more, but I often proclaim there's very little you can't do on your own these days with all the help available online.  And the savings from doing it myself justifies buying new tools to make the repairs.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #4 - 12/29/15 at 11:55:44

gizzo wrote on 12/29/15 at 05:21:36:
Things I've learned from Youtube:
Remove an Enfield decompressor
Juggle
make Library of Congress subject headings
ride a unicycle
anything to do with MS Word
fix my printer
paint with 2 pack paint
use Dolphin Glaze putty
Wheelstand a motorcycle
Fly a RC helicopter
Vacuum bag composites
pronounce "chiaroscuro"
and so much more. Thank you YouTube for the education and also for wasting many many hours watching trash  Cheesy

By the way, did you know that chiaroscuro is also a term in singing? Yeah... I like to sing Cheesy

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 12/29/15 at 21:54:47

Power steering pump on a Taurus
Half shaft on a Nissan Rogue
Rear wheel bearing on an Explorer
Carburetor on the Yamaha 250 ATV
Still a project, definitely getting gas in the oil, eyeballed the tip on the needle, no visible indentation, no obvious flaws in the seat, adjusted the floats a bit tighter,,, Darn if I know.
But, yeah, You Tube is a great resource.
I need a You Tube video of all the stuff You Tube videos have helped me out with.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:26:51

General CategoryThe Cafe › You tube is your friend

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.