any triumph fans? (Read 365 times)
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Re: any triumph fans?
Reply #15 - 12/26/15 at 12:17:20

thanks old indian, I'll check back.

zipidachimp, I appreciate your input. What new model cafe styled Triumph's are 750's?

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #16 - 12/26/15 at 12:35:49

Yeah, I'm into it too. Beautiful.
My 2c- if they'd made a new triumph in smaller capacity it wouldn't sell so they have to go big. People would just complain its too small, too slow and all that. Like the W650. That's an 800 here now as well.
The Enfield GT gets canned mercilessly by straight line heros in the peanut gallery, who've never ridden one, for the same reason: to small at 535cc, too slow.

I'd have the Thruxton, but would have to choose between that and the duc scrambler and guzzi v7  Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 12/26/15 at 12:46:34

DesertRat wrote on 12/26/15 at 05:09:57:
Dave, would you like this bike for long rides (road trips)?

I think it would be a great "Day Trip" bike.....but for long rides you would be better off with a windshield and bags for your gear.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #18 - 12/26/15 at 13:04:17

thanks Dave, day trippin' is more my speed, maybe an over night every coupla years

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #19 - 12/26/15 at 13:11:35

gizzo, I went hunting for reviews on the Enfield GT, and the vast majority make the same claims, the quality is not there for the asking price: https://youtu.be/uDsWyiAbCJQ

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #20 - 12/26/15 at 13:28:06

You're right, but most reviews are by young flakes who have no experience with singles, classics or old tech. Of course it's not keeping up with a 600cc crotch rocket. They have no other single experience to compare the enfield with, and they test new bikes. The enfield need a really long break into give it's best. My GT shook quite a bit when it was new but by 2500 miles it smoothed out and now it's not really any worse than the Savage. Not bad for an uncounterbalanced single. I've done lots of long rides and it will cruise at 70mph all day. Overtaking is a chore though. Not much power in reserve, for sure. I've already measured it up and if the Enfield engine breaks in a big way, i can fit a Savage engine in there  Cool. A triumph twin will fit, too...

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #21 - 12/26/15 at 13:49:16

it's the "hipster" crowd gizzo. I agree, but comments like cheezy/cheap and looking at the controls, I start questioning country of TRUE origin (china??).

if it breaks, you get an instant upgrade by pluggin the s40 engine in there  Cool

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #22 - 12/26/15 at 13:49:17

had no money when the W650 came out or I would have one. The RS Shadow was something similar, but heavy. The Guzzi V7 would be a good choice, and now I've got the money, but also arthritis in my knees, so love my feet forward S40 hotrod and my Vulcan 500. Cool

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #23 - 12/26/15 at 14:08:34

A little ways back I was looking to get a basic Bonneville, so I did a good bit of research.  They are extremely reliable, very smooth, often described as having linear throttle, with absolute terrible suspension.  

Here is a comprehensive review.  

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2009NovBnville.pdf

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #24 - 12/26/15 at 14:12:22

'rat: Royals are made in India. There is a dealer in Phoenix who has a couple you can eyeball, and I know a guy in Kansas who bought one last summer..      My back won't take the riding position of a café racer, although I know of a couple back roads that would be a blast.....  

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #25 - 12/26/15 at 16:21:59

DesertRat wrote on 12/26/15 at 13:49:16:
it's the "hipster" crowd gizzo. I agree, but comments like cheezy/cheap and looking at the controls, I start questioning country of TRUE origin (china??).

The controls and switches are made in India. That's no better,and possibly worse,than China but there it is. The majority of the bike is reasonable quality but some is rubbish and the assembly was really sloppy. Needed lots of pulling apart, loctite, new fasteners. The engine is nice , tinware suspension and brakes excellent.
I wouldn't recommend anyone buy one tho, lest I be blamed if they were disappointed.
But I love it.

Saw a new 500 Vulcan the other day, looks nicer in the real than the photos.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #26 - 12/26/15 at 16:59:14

Here in NZ a brand new S40 is $NZ 8500, cheapest RE, the Bullet is $NZ 8795. If I wanted nostalgia, I'd buy a 1950's bike.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #27 - 12/26/15 at 17:26:55

Fair enough. But I couldn't buy a '67 250 Continental GT in Australia. + I really CBF looking after another high maintenance classic. Its nice to have a bike you can just get on and ride.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #28 - 12/26/15 at 23:03:02

That's why I brought an S40.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #29 - 12/27/15 at 06:41:11

gizzo, the last time I had controls like that they were a nightmare. Bought a couple inexpensive import atv's for the kids and had those types on them.

I like the RE styling, but to drop that much money and still have to "repair" the suspension and torque the nuts and bolts????

If it was a used bike, I'd be okay with repair and maintenance that I had no idea whether or not the PO had performed. I'm still finding "issues" with my S40.  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:29:59

General CategoryThe Cafe › any triumph fans?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.