Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Did the white spacer mod...Wow (Read 79 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Did the white spacer mod...Wow
12/24/15 at 19:33:06

I did the white spacer mod today. It turned out to be a Christmas gift to myself. I considered using 4 washers since 4 of them were smaller than the spacer, but I settled for three. Perhaps it was best I did. Maybe it's all in my head, but I get the feeling that it just runs better! It idled a little weird for a while, but when warm, I adjusted the idle mix, and I think it ran the best it ever has. SMOOTH. Don't get me wrong, on a good trip, the thing would get nice and smooth even running lean, but now it acts like a fuel injected car Shocked. SMOOTH--RESPONSIVE She's got some balls now! Seriously, goose her hard off the line, and she'll go sideways with ya' now Shocked. Maybe it's just differences in road conditions/driver input? Smooth, damp asphalt? Maybe its just all in my head?

Has anyone else noticed this kind of effect from just doing the spacer mod?

I noticed that using the enrichment knob when warm before the mod speeded up shortly before bogging on idle. The same is true or more true now. However, I did experiment and find that, though it ran rich at idle with the knob pulled, I got an increase in power with some throttle. I believe this means that the idle mixture is approximately correct, but the needle jet is still a little lean? Or, perhaps, since maximum power is produced by running a little rich, that... Hmmm...

Any ideas?

The thing still backfires, by the way.  Tongue Maybe a little less, especially when the engine is not fully warm. But it seems like when it does make noise, it is often moderately loud backfiring rather than gentle noises. Huh

I ride between at least 1000-2000 feet elevation, typically. My house is around 1500. I live in hillbilly coal miner country, so I am liable to experience pretty wide elevation swings. In fact, I can't step foot onto asphalt without an elevation change Tongue. For cryin' out loud, hiking across our own property is an elevation change! Grin Got plenty of acreage, if we could do much with it Tongue. Skin the turf, and watch your dirt wash away with the next rain Sad. It's the curse of the mountains, I guess.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Re: Did the white spacer mod...Wow
Reply #1 - 12/24/15 at 19:37:19

The cool thing is that I got 3 packages of parts/accessories for my bike today in the mail as I came back from my test drive. Merry Christmas to myself Cheesy. It was kinda tricky holding that stuff in my lap as I rode up that wet dirt road. The crazy thing is that I ride through the potholes full of dirty water in order to avoid the mud Roll Eyes. Sliding in the mud seems worse that the puddles. Cheesy

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #2 - 12/24/15 at 20:22:11

good you seem to have gotten the good out of the white spacer mod, I'll leave answering the questions to those who know the bike better than I

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #3 - 12/25/15 at 05:46:19

Also, I had suspected that the white spacer mod would help reveal an insufficient main jet (I believe it's 145). Maybe a little. When I hold full throttle for a second or two and let off, the engine sounds more strained under full throttle, but, by seat of the pants, the extra throttle doesn't increase acceleration much compared to a little less. You might say it's getting enough fuel not to show obvious problems, but I am thinking that increasing to 147.5 will make it sound/feel better and give a bit more acceleration at full throttle. Rejetting might get it closer to stoichiometric, but if there's any time the engine could afford to run slightly rich, full throttle is it.

I noticed that the engine seems to cruise at slightly lower rpms before lugging or feeling strained. Has this been the case with anyone else? Some seem to suggest it in other posts, though I'm not sure how clearly the idea has actually been stated.

Does anyone have thoughts on any of these matters? Huh

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #4 - 12/25/15 at 09:07:38

If, at WOT, you back throttle a tiny bit and the bike goes FASTER you have too small a main jet
you will feel this as a throttle drop surge, where the first few degrees of 'backing off' actually gives a tad more power
factory jetted Rebels are notorious for this

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 12/25/15 at 12:28:50

cheapnewb24 wrote on 12/25/15 at 05:46:19:
I noticed that the engine seems to cruise at slightly lower rpms before lugging or feeling strained.

Absolutely. When jetted properly the engine runs properly. Amazing!  Cheesy

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 12/25/15 at 12:30:07

Art Webb wrote on 12/25/15 at 09:07:38:
factory jetted Rebels are notorious for this

And Savage/S40s!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:31:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › Did the white spacer mod...Wow

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.