Send Topic Print
Let's talk DENTURES (Read 147 times)
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Let's talk DENTURES
12/24/15 at 17:53:39

I have some horrible teeth, thanks to poor eating habits and even worse dentists (military, state and con jobs).

A few years ago I dropped a few thousand into "fixing" the issues. And last year had several dentist "fix" the fixes. All of which are now falling out, like noting had been done. Back to square one.

I'm kicking around the idea of getting all-on-4 implants. Anyone have these? What's wearing dentures like?

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Re: Let's talk DENTURES
Reply #1 - 12/24/15 at 18:24:39

I'm young with good teeth, so I don't wear dentures. However, my parents do (occasionally). They generally don't bother with them. The last set they bought did not fit well, and my Dad had to scrape and heat form them till they were at least tolerable. My Mom didn't try that. As a result, she only wears them on special occasion for dress. Strangely enough, my parents generally eat without their teeth, AFAIK Tongue

The lesson is this: be careful who makes your dentures if you decide on that route. If you happen to be a singer, I wouldn't go for dentures; could mess with your voice, IMO. On the other hand, my Dad doesn't like implants--he periodically mentions someone he knew who died after getting them (not immediately). He blames it was the implants, but who knows-- could have been his time Huh

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #2 - 12/24/15 at 18:26:27

Are you sure your teeth aren't worth saving? Maybe you can find a high quality dentist who knows what he/she is doing.

Let's see what everyone else has to say. Huh

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #3 - 12/24/15 at 18:47:56

Implants take time and are expensive.  Crowns, caps etc. may or may not last 7-10 years and are expensive.  Dentures are expensive and rarely fit properly.    If your own can be saved, spend the money.  

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 12/24/15 at 19:36:15

I have had one crown and that is the only one I will ever do ---- the thing hangs around OK but it gives periodic issues and minor pain as part of the package deal.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #5 - 12/24/15 at 20:25:49

If it can't be saved with a filling, I yank it
so far I haven't bothered with an 'appliance' YMMV

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 12/24/15 at 22:10:18

DesertRat

I went with Art's plan ...

I also went to Affordable Dentures 10 or 12 years back and got an upper-plate .  with removing the last 7 or 8 teeth and leaving with a temporary plate the same day it cost just under a thousand bucks.    Then 90 days later I got a permanent upper plate and they relined the temporary plate to fit just like the permanent one.   So I have a spare too !  Cheesy

99% of the time I forget they are not my real teeth.  And the only time I use any adhesive is if I'm going roller coaster ridding or planning on keeping up with OldFeller on a crooked road   .  Grin

and    :    I feel good about my smile now .  Cool

and    :    NO -- Your girl will never know you wear a plate unless she comes into the bathroom while your cleaning it  Roll Eyes  or    you tell it !   Huh   Just  clean it once or twice a day and put it back in.   even for sleeping Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 12/24/15 at 23:08:08

DesertRat wrote on 12/24/15 at 17:53:39:
I have some horrible teeth, thanks to poor eating habits and even worse dentists (military, state and con jobs)....

Didn't see a dentist growing up, at age 19 the military dentists pulled a few, extreme pain.  NO thankyou, didn't see another dentist until at age 39 when I was in pain I couldn't think.  At a dental mill.  Met Russ Coser, just starting his career.  Blah Blah...  he has been my dentist for 30 years.  The military left me with three missing teeth, lower right.  He designed a six-tooth bridge, which has been doing just fine for over 25 years.  At 69 I have two bridges, several crowns, but no dentures.  I can eat anything, no pain.

You need to find an excellent dentist.  Talk to neighbors, friends, strangers in a bar, wherever, and find a dentist that can fix your mouth.    

WWW   IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #8 - 12/25/15 at 02:27:21

DES:  I got lucky 14 years ago, the dentist who removed my teeth had hospital privileges, and mine were removed under general anesthesia. Dentures were fitted immediately. Cost was $1800 for full upper and partial lower. Your gums will take at least 3 to 6 months to heal, you'll go through a lot of soup/stew/scrambled eggs etc.
But, I LOVE my dentures, no more dentist visits.
I don't use adhesive unless an important engagement.  note: the uppers are held in place by suction, the lowers by gravity.  Modern methods may differ. If you are going for a full lower, ask the dentist to leave 2 eyeteeth on each side as an anchor. How old are you? Cool
ps: natural teeth are better, but sometimes you have to face reality!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 12/25/15 at 06:39:04

I just got four teeth pulled... two in the back top, I already had my four wisdom teeth pulled so the molars are the ones that are in front of the wisdom teeth.
So yesterday I went to swish out my mouth and I put pressure on the water to push it between my teeth, and WATER GUSHED OUT MY NOSE!
I did not know that your roots can protrude into your sinuses!
So I will call the dentist Monday (or the doc who pulled my teeth) and ask what I should do to get it to heal faster, because I have been reading it can cause some unbelievable infections and pain (so far so good).

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #10 - 12/25/15 at 07:01:42

I want to know where y'all got the dentures for under $2k??? A dental mill, nation wide type?

I've spent over 3x that so far with dentists trying to save my real ones. The time before last was the most expensive, almost $3k and all the fillings have either come out or are rotting around the filling. Last December I went and the dentist argued with me as to which one was giving me the most trouble and I wanted it pulled and he said there was nothing wrong with it, I had to point out the issue on his xray. WTH am I paying for?

I just want them yanked and gimme dentures or all-on-4. My younger brother had the all-on-4 done back about 10 years ago and cost him around $15k, he took out a loan for that one.  Shocked  They do look awesome though.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 12/25/15 at 07:07:06

Yah... my wife had dentures done, all her teeth pulled at once, waited four weeks until swelling went down, went in for a fitting, a week later she had dentures!
But, it cost us $4,500.00   ..... and that was 2 years ago.
She is happy now though, no cold/hot problems, no pain ect.....
Just she has to use the glue and sometimes does not like it that they get "loose".

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #12 - 12/25/15 at 07:10:44

old rider, what did she do for teeth for 4 weeks? No way I could go 4 weeks toothless

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #13 - 12/25/15 at 07:19:02

She ate soft stuff, cream of wheat, mashed potatoes, soups, melted cheese stuffs...mac and cheese... any thing and every thing you can make soft.
You can actually juice stuff... even meats.... we went to a buffet the day she got her teeth in.... Smiley was a happy day for her Smiley

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #14 - 12/25/15 at 07:26:21

My issue isn't the soft food stuff, it's having to deal with the public every day.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:23:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › Let's talk DENTURES

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.