Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
 Life imitating Art, or, ... (Read 88 times)
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
 Life imitating Art, or, ...
12/24/15 at 16:43:49

Life imitating Art, or, Art, Imitating  Life.  Jan 1941 movie,  “Meet John Doe”.

One of the, ‘official’, descriptions of this :

Meet John Doe,  begins with the end of reporter Ann Mitchell's (Barbara Stanwyck) job. Fired as part of a downsizing move, she ends her last column with an imaginary letter written by "John Doe." Angered at the ill treatment of America's little people, the fabricated Doe announces that he's going to jump off City Hall on Christmas Eve. When the phony letter goes to press, it causes a public sensation. Seeking to secure her job, Mitchell talks her managing editor (James Gleason) into playing up the John Doe letter for all it's worth; but to ward off accusations from rival papers that the letter was bogus, they decide to hire someone to pose as John Doe: a ballplayer-turned-hobo (Gary Cooper), who'll do anything for three squares and a place to sleep. "John Doe" and his traveling companion The Colonel (Walter Brennan) are ensconced in a luxury hotel while Mitchell continues churning out chunks of John Doe philosophy. When newspaper publisher D.B. Norton (Edward Arnold), a fascistic type with presidential aspirations, decides to use Doe as his ticket to the White House, he puts Doe on the radio to deliver inspirational speeches to the masses -- ghost-written by Mitchell, who, it is implied, has become the publisher's mistress. The central message of the Doe speeches is "Love Thy Neighbor," though, conceived in cynicism, the speeches strike so responsive a chord with the public that John Doe clubs pop up all over the country. Believing he is working for the good of America, Cooper agrees to front the National John Doe Movement -- until he discovers that Norton plans to exploit Doe in order to create a third political party and impose a virtual dictatorship on the country.”

That part that is missing is:
At the end, when, John Doe, discovers he has been duped, and the big wigs,  ’Threaten him’,  with, “Or Else”. (Which included disbanding all the Clubs).  Then CUT the wires to the loud speaker system, at the Grand Convection.  Then flood the convention with PAID, thugs and protesters, who rile up the crowd, so he has no way to speak, and set things right. He decided, he, IS, going to jump off the building to prove, to all the followers, and resurrect the movement. And he has all the information on him.

He is meet at the top of the building by the, ’thug’, (D.B. Norton), who tells him, “No Use, my men are below, and will remove your body, and all I.D., so NO ONE will know it was, ‘John Doe’, that jumped”.  J.D. told him he planned for that, and has mailed all the information already.  So as he is about to jump, his unrequited Love, falls into his arms, and pleads with him. Then faints, after saying: ” If you Jump, take me with”. He makes a move to do so, then suddenly, a loyal group of his, ‘club’, appears, and tells him, they need him, and they are Not going to disband the, ‘club’, despite what D.B. says.

Then he returns to the stairs, with his Love in his arms.  -End-

Think about this, it was released in Jan 1941, so it had to be conceived in 39, filmed in 40 ?

So what prompted, R. Presnell, Richard Connel, Robert Riskin, (the writers), to write that story, 76 Years ago ?  Was it as a result, of what was happening then, or a result of a vision, of what could happen?

(A Vision, as, Jules Vern had, in describing a submarine, called the, Nautilus, some 86 years before it was built.)

What about the, ‘John Birch Society’, which was first classed as ultra Conservative, then later touted as, ultra Liberal,  depending on the Medea source.

How far away is, ‘Warp’, Speed?  Are we closer to ’Star-Trek’, than we think?

These problems, ’Terrorists’, ‘Over Burdening  Governments’, and ‘Wold Wide Domination’, etc., are not new problems. Just new, ’names’.

Their will Always, be discussion of those things. So, what happens next?
Let, someone, "else", deal with it, and order more Pizza. ???

Or get involved, and make people THINK,
by presenting Both Sides.
So they can make up their OWN, mind,
not just, ’repeat’, what they are, ’TOLD’, to say?

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re:   Life imitating Art, or, ...
Reply #1 - 12/24/15 at 20:27:32

That's a neat story. It's very possibly just the result of an active imagination and a flair for the dramatic. Not every old show is an allegory. The Wizard of Oz is too aligned with deeper political stuff to just be a fairy tale. The Story of John Doe COULD be the work of a prescient genius, but more resembles a good story. Just my opinion.
I do congratulate you on the find and synopsis and the deeper thought,, it's interesting and I expect I'll consider it some more.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 12/24/15 at 22:14:27

Meet John Doe,... could have been written 2,000 years ago...

Do you really think these times are that unique?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #3 - 12/25/15 at 16:59:02

Serowbot wrote on 12/24/15 at 22:14:27:
" ... Do you really think these times are that unique?..."

Perhaps not, ‘unique’, but MUCH LESS Safer.
And a whole lot, ‘different’.

50  years ago:
Drove my Bicycle downtown, (1,500 pop), with a pump .22, (with the gun across the handlebars), stop at the hardware store, pick up a box of of 22 shorts, (which my Fathers told the owner, it was alright to do), lean my bike & gun, up against the outside of the store, (never gave it a thought that someone could steal, one or both), then go to the town dump, and shoot rats.  

Driving my bicycle downtown to get bread and milk, cause Mom asked me to, (it was just a bit over a mile), and coming home, one day, got caught in a downpour, and a fellow in a pickup, (I didn’t know him), stopped alongside me, rolled down the window, and said, “Just toss the bike in the back, and hop in, I’ll give you a ride home”.  And when he dropped me off, Mom said, “Gee that was nice of Frank to give you a ride”.  (she just happened to look out the window).

One day, each Spring, standing on the fender, holding on to the side mirror, of the old PU truck. Picking up piles of ‘Grackels’, when EVERYONE in town, would stand in their yard and shoot them with shotguns. And  NO, one EVER, complained, about the, lead rain, they would hear once and a while.

Out one night, one of those, ‘perfect’, Spring nights, at 10:30 PM, with three other, ‘buddies’, on our bikes. and the local, ‘Cop’,  silently pulled up, and said:  “Ya know boys, it is way past Curfew for you. Do I have to talk to, Lawrence/Mike/Fred/John, about what their boys are doing”. (We PROMPTLY, went home).

(ETC)

45 years ago:
Friend, had his older brothers NEW, Buick Convertible, 3, ‘buddies’ were in the car, top down, heater on full blast, dressed in Parkas, I, was, ’Skiing’, behind the car on the un plowed Town roads.  (On JAN 1st, MN).   Town Cop drives by, real slow, shakes his head, then drives on.

Drive around town, in the Modal ‘A’, 1929-1/2, Spinning around the corners when I could,  (bought for the princely sum of, $150.00),  just before Christmas, dressed in a  Santa Suite,  and the town cop would smile and wave.

(ETC)

40 Years ago:
Would routinely go to any area, (of the big City Mpls, 45 min away), park the car, and see a first run movie or go to a fancy restaurant with a date, with NEVER a worry, about, the car, or walking down the street.  (would not even Think about, even DRIVING, even with a Loaded GUN on the seat, in many of those areas today).

Going to Europe, and Hitchhiking, or Train, or Buss,   EVERYWHERE,  (Except  Sicily Italy), without a care at all.

(ETC)

20 Years ago:
Driving to Chicago. I am driving, my Boss is navigating, 3 white women in the back seat. He directs me to turn here and their, as to get, (by the map), the shortest route to the hotel, for a trade convention.  After 3 blocks, I was going THROUGH Every Red right, at EVERY intersection, (after I looked of course), and said:  ‘Get me back to the MAIN road as quick as you Can’.

Today:
I carry a concealed handgun.  At the ‘Hospital’ when the wife was their. At the, ’Nursing home’, where she went to learn to Walk again, in the School Parking lot, when I was asked to pick up my grand nieces from school on occasion.  (All are,  ‘Gun Free Zones’)

Would not even, Think about,  DRIVING, down the street, in places I, walked the sidewalk with a date,  40 years ago.

(ETC,  ETC,  ETC,  ETC, …)

So, are today's times, ‘unique’?   Yea I would say so.

Are they,  ‘UN-Safer’er’,    ABSOLUTELY !!!!!!

And why?
Because the, ‘Fairy Dust Sprinklers’, and ‘Kum-By-You’, singers,  have swing the, Pendulum,  WAY  TO FAR, the ‘other’ way.

Gee, think of it.
Two Guys, or two, Girls, are roommates.  Happened ALL the Time,  ALL THE TIME !
Yet NOW,  They, proclaim themselves as, ‘GAY’.
Which in fact, they are, ‘Political Gays’.
They,  STILL are,  (Boys like Girls, Girls like Boys)
 But they, ‘POLITICALLY” say, something else, because they will get ALL SORTS OF MORE BENEFITS.
(Like someone is gonna check ?)

And the ‘Pendulum has NOT, swung to Far ?

Or, used to be, a different colored skin person, were PART, of this Society, they Contributed,  but now, ’someone tells them their are, ’Special’, and have, ’Special’ rights’.  And the ‘Pendulum has NOT, swung to Far ?

Or their are, ‘Refugees’, which, the  VAST  Majority,  VAST MAJORITY,  (pre 20 years ago), became Citizens, were PART, of this Society, they Contributed,  but now, ’someone tells them their are, ’Special’, and have, ’Special’ rights’.  And the ‘Pendulum has NOT, swung to Far ?

“ … Do you really think these times are that unique?…”
Yea,   it is TIME, to grab that Pendulum,  AWAY, from the,  ‘Fairy Dust Sprinklers’, and ‘Kum-By-You’, singers, and put it on a more even keel!

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 12/26/15 at 00:14:15

Serowbot wrote on 12/24/15 at 22:14:27:
... could have been written 2,000 years ago...

Do you really think these times are that unique?...

Interesting thought as I just read this article.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-12-25/what-if-jesus-had-been-born-2000-yea...

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #5 - 12/26/15 at 14:10:42

No takers on how Jesus would fair in America today?.....  

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #6 - 12/26/15 at 15:05:09

pg, I am familiar with Tyler and zerohedge.

As for Jesus, He was God in the flesh. I agree with Tyler's article.

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 12/26/15 at 15:57:30

pg wrote on 12/26/15 at 14:10:42:

Best regards,

I don't think he would be well received,at all. Seems like those who believe that there Is a right and wrong and they don't change just because a majority says so are not highly regarded.I can't imagine how the media would spin the video of him healing someone. I can envision a white coat and a few well meaning clods gathering him up to take him and Help him.
Where he would meet with an accidental death.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 12/26/15 at 16:09:22

A bearded, Middle-Eastern guy, in a robe?...  
...spouting anti government rhetoric and flipping over bingo tables in Churches?...
...probably wouldn't go ever well... Undecided

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #9 - 12/26/15 at 18:44:27

Serowbot wrote on 12/26/15 at 16:09:22:
A bearded, Middle-Eastern guy, in a robe?...  "

Today, Jesus, in America ?
(Just guessing he his dressed in, (period)  Clothing..
Anywhere in South, or Central, or South, (North America), (Mexico),  he would just, ‘disappear’.

Anywhere in, North, (North Americas), (Canada)  He would just be tossed in a,  ‘lonny bin’.

Anywhere in the USA.   If he lived under a bridge, or cardboard box, Just Ignored.
If his disciples,  lived under a bridge, they also would be just ignored.
If he, ‘Played the Game’, and his (followers), and did all the, ‘Welfare’  (Gimme/Gimme) things.
He would just be ignored.
If he, and his Disciples, were of Means,  then the Ultra-Liberal, Media, would just state he is a, ‘Lonny’, and ignore, or Trash him, or Spin, or take out of continence, what he says, at every opportunity.  And  SPIN it !
And in one year from now, if here was here, and if Hillary wins,   He would have a, ‘Accident’.
Or do what,  Vince Foster, did.   LOLOL  

But I guess, that is all OK, because the, ‘Fairy Dust Sprinklers’, and the, ‘Kum-By-You”, singers, have got it ALL under control. !
The, Ultra-Liberal, people, are just,  GIVE to ANYBODY, that asks, (in the right way),  EVERYTHING, They ask for, without EVER Working for it.   And  PAID  FOR, on the backs of the people what, WORKED  !!!!!!!

Well, unless,
You put down the Pizza, and turn off the T.V.  and,  Get Out And, Get INVOLVED !

IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #10 - 12/26/15 at 22:38:51

Quote Mns:
"...and ignore, or Trash him, or Spin, or take out of continence, what he says, at every opportunity.  And  SPIN it !"

So is that taking the p!ss, or specifically not taking the p!ss?  Grin

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #11 - 12/27/15 at 06:02:10

pg wrote on 12/26/15 at 14:10:42:

Best regards,

Me thinks he would do a lot of spatting out lukewarmly.....
And then bot would say, see I was right, kinda like if he was being attacked by a Muslim zealot, he would scream out for someone to shoot him ( the Muslim terrorist ).

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #12 - 12/27/15 at 16:39:01

HovisPresley Said: " ... So is that taking the p!ss, or specifically not taking the p!ss? ...":

Hovis:  you are  SO  Smart.
You are SO,  Above,   ALL,   the rest of us.
To Point out a misspell word, which the readers of this form, ’Surmised’, what the actual meaning was.

So thank you for your pointing out that, ‘word’; with, sacrarium.

You are   SO Smart,   so MUCH,  ’smarter’, than anyone else here !

Thank you for, for your, ‘Lesson’,  you have bestowed upon, upon us.

IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #13 - 12/27/15 at 17:40:27

Wow thanks Smiley

PS. No sacrariums were used, I ran out  Wink

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 08:27:19

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) ›  Life imitating Art, or, ...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.