Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Might be trading the S40 (Read 298 times)
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Might be trading the S40
12/24/15 at 08:14:19

So one of the things keeping me from financing an RV was a lack of credit history
I have 'revolving' credit history, (the credit card) but no items financed I'm paying off or have paid off
I looked at a 2007 F150 with tow package, but the payments would be too much
I can however, get a Moto or scooter, and am approved for a 2012 Silver Wing
Ever since I rode a Burgman 400 I've actually liked the idea of a scooter, and if this one is comfy, I might jump on it
If I do, I will defray the cost somewhat by trading the S40, as I really can't ride / maintain 3 vehicles on my income
Insurance would of course go up, and disposable income down
I'm sort of dithering on weather to jump or not  Grin

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Might be trading the S40
Reply #1 - 12/24/15 at 09:29:47

Have you taken into account the maintenance cost?...  I don't think you'll be doing much of your own wrenching on that machine...

Secondly,... it's 550lbs!... nearly the weight of my Sportster...
It's the Scootertanic!.... Grin

Besides those two qualms,... it's just a matter of liking it...
It's a very different machine...  
I'm sure it's a very capable machine...

Life is short... You want it,... buy it... Smiley

You'll still be very welcome here...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #2 - 12/24/15 at 20:43:09

you'd be surprised how light 550lb feels when the weight's all down low, but yeah, I'm gonna look into a Swing forum, see how much of their own wrenching the Swing guys do, and how bad it looks
I rode a Burgman 400 once and liked it, so we'll see
other down is, while it will help build some credit, it'll also take money away from building  myself a home, do I go that route
Honestly I did have 2nd thoughts today when my truck's engine decided to run a high Idle
'If this was my old 76 chevy, I'd KNOW what's causing this"

another issue: loading it into the truck if I need to
the S40 I can play the throttle and clutch and she'll walk right up the ramp
not sure how the 'automatic' in a scoot might do there

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 12/24/15 at 21:10:50

I went looking for complaints.
Didn't see any off hand.
http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Suzuki/Burgman400/Reviews/Burgman-400.html

Nothing but good... everything is relative, don't expect a Gold Wing ride, but it sounds like a dependable machine.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 12/24/15 at 21:52:22

Art , don't know if you thought about this yet but :

An old ridding buddy of mine had a 400 Suzuki scooter.  He and his wife are both "Big" people but on flat ground that little 400 kept up with me and my skinny wife (LS650) everywhere we went --- except --- up hills.   One "early summer we took of on a day ride with our wifes and his rear tire went flat 80 miles from home.   He said "I just put that on new last fall ! ".   It was bald !!   Seems those little tires don't last long.   It was a really low profile 13" but WAY smaller than a car tire.  Me and him rode my Savage 40+ miles one way carrying the flat to find a bike shop that had a replacement.   There was a local Yamaha shop but they didn't have no Yamaha's with "Tires like that" as the shop guy put it.

Me and him swapped bikes on a guy ride one time.   I was impressed at how that thing took off.  
When I pulled it open from a standing stop the tach. went to 5000 and stayed there till I crossed 60mph then it started climbing too.  and it didn't take long to get up to 80 or so where I let off it a little.  

If a car tire would fit in that little space left out for the rear tire it would help.  Smiley

I never even looked at the 650 version to see how big of a tire would fit it. ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 12/24/15 at 23:24:08

MMRanch wrote on 12/24/15 at 21:52:22:
...  his rear tire went flat 80 miles from home.   He said "I just put that on new last fall ! ".   It was bald !!   Seems those little tires don't last long....
 Just as on the Savage, quality matters.  Metzeler tires stick to the road and last many miles.  My Scoot has a "made in Germany" Heidenau 130/70-10 that I mounted at 8054 miles.  It is getting thin, but last fillup was at 15869 miles -- 7,815 miles on one rear 10" tire.

WWW   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #6 - 12/25/15 at 09:25:14

Food for thought MM, though a 600cc and 50 HP I think it'll keep up
and shame on your buddy for not looking at his tire once in a while
150/70/13, car tire might fit, but as Paladin said, get what ya pay for
I am entertaining all opinions, I want to make an informed decision
I do know I've found a review by a fella with arthritis in his knees that should be part of Honda's add copy "a blessing for bikers with arthritis"
I have that malady in my knees

It definitely will not have the 'elemental' feel of a simpler moto, and keeping it running might not be so simple, as Sero said
I'm still awaiting approval of my membership on a Swing forum, so I can ask questions

« Last Edit: 12/25/15 at 17:41:35 by Art Webb »  
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 12/29/15 at 09:47:27

Did not go look at the Swing today
Too cold to ride, and I got other stuff more pressing to take care of

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 12/29/15 at 16:40:09

I've seen car tires mentioned a lot lately. Would that not be a bad idea considering the sidewalls aren't made for a bike? A car tire wouldn't roll over like a mc tire.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #9 - 12/29/15 at 19:16:10

By the way, Kris, how do you like your 140/90 tire? Is it good in the twisties? Do you feel like the taller gearing makes the bike luggy in the twisties? Do you strain pulling out from steep hills? Do you ever feel like driving the speed limit puts you in between gears, where neither gear is quite right? Say you are doing 45-- does 3rd gear feel too short and 4th too tall? Of course, 2nd to 3rd would be worse in that respect.

I'm tempted to get a cheap Shinko 735 130/90, but I am still considering the 140 for lower revs and maybe better gas mileage.  Wink

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #10 - 12/29/15 at 19:30:03

Technically the 130/90 should handle better but I don't push my bike that hard so I've not noticed any handling deficiencies. I love the slight upgrade in gearing. I've lost about 300 RPM at 65 mph. 5th gear really should have been geared a lot better by the factory.

The gears really haven't changed that much. 1st is a little slower than stock but you only notice it when you first swap to a 140/90. After a week or so it's not noticeable. I'll stick with the taller tire for the life of the bike. Besides, with this size, there are more tires available when you need them.

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 12/29/15 at 19:43:15

Kris01 wrote on 12/29/15 at 16:40:09:
I've seen car tires mentioned a lot lately. Would that not be a bad idea considering the sidewalls aren't made for a bike? A car tire wouldn't roll over like a mc tire.

Kris, car tires have flexible side walls and operate (in the correct 30-35 psi air pressure range) as they are designed to do when installed on the steering (front) tires on a car.   In any normal or sane person's turns the tread stays mostly flat to the pavement and the sidewall flexes to set up the turn while keeping the tread flat to the pavement.

(mostly, unless you are doing the insane sharp mountain turns like we do up at the dragon).

In doing so a car tire keeps a much larger & flatter oblong contact patch in contact with the pavement, and it grips on a Savage at the same level or better that the much smaller motorcycle "round oval" contact patch does.  

Folks tell me at a full dragging lean I only use the inside half of my rear tire, but that "half of a MUCH wider thread width"  much flatter oblong patch is still 3x-4x larger than the round-oval contact profile zone that a bike rear tire gets at the same lean angle.

The rubber used on the bike tire HAS be a lot stickier (softer) to work in a mountain turn, the car tire rubber can be a more durable tougher rubber and because of the larger contact patch still work just as well as the bike tire -- remember, contact gripping formula is "coefficient of friction times the contact area".  

This is part and parcel of the low life you get out of a bike rear tire (generally 1-2 years) vs the well over 6 years of use you can get out of a car tire (with miles being the same on each type of tire).

I have run both car and motorcycle rear tires up at the Dragon, as has MM.   Dave has seen both of us in front of him, as has Lancer and others.  

A car tire on the rear of a Savage can perform as well in the mountains as far as handling, grip, wet traction, etc. etc. goes.   It does it every year, in extremes of braking and cornering that make the front rotor turn deep black purple from the heat generated.

The biggest downside of running a car tire is MOUNTING the sumbitch.   Mounting a car tire is troublesome and dangerous, and you have to use MM's trick of greasing the section that does not want to pop with axle grease to get it to pop up on the bead without using excessive air pressure.

This works because the entire ungreased side and the ungreased part of the side that was greased keeps the tire nice and stable and stationary until the rubber in the bead itself can absorb the thin coat of grease that you used.   Oils and waxes and soaps are a natural part of rubber, so the little bit of grease you added just "goes into solution" over time and becomes part of the rubber just like the rest of the oils, soaps and waxes used in making the rubber.

Last issue is this, unless you have a bike shop that does a lot of darksider tires for the long distance touring crowd (Goldwings and big Kawasaki bikes) you will have no one local to you with the skills and experience to put a car tire your bike safely.    

I still have an inch and a quarter long scar on my left wrist from a Firestone bead that broke on me before I started using MM's grease trick

Too much air pressure CAN break a bead you know, especially if it is kinked over the bead like it is before it seats.   The actual mounting of the car tire and the popping of the bead is when your maximum risk takes place ......

Where a car tire shines is in touring mode though, as the tire contact area is 5x-6x wider and a bit longer than a bike tire's contact patch, even after you have worn that hideous flat spot into your softer motorcycle rear tire's profile.   And if you are riding upright, why you get to use ALL of the BIG flat contact zone and that makes for very little braking/acceleration wear compared to what a softer rubber smaller rounded contact zone bike tire will see.

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #12 - 12/29/15 at 20:30:16

So apparently car tires are used quite frequently on the back of motorcycles. Hmmm, never considered that!  Smiley

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 12/29/15 at 20:50:11

Kris

I got over 23,000 miles on the Mitchellen Commander II that I'm replacing before spring.    I had almost 25,000 miles on a Goodyear Eagle GT. 145/80-15 before I messed it up by lowering the air pressure down to the low 20's.lbs.   The Eagle GT was little more than half wore out.   I should have left it aired up to 35-38 lbs. range but !  Roll Eyes  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #14 - 12/29/15 at 20:53:37

I recently measured my rear tire circumference. If accurate, it is somewhere around 73.25 inches diameter, at least an inch less that what it should be. That would shorten the gearing a bit. Even a 130/90 would make the gear taller than the factory size, especially this tire.

It seems that my gas mileage has dropped. It's not really easy to get an accurate reading, but it seems around 50 mpg. I was getting better, I think. That was before the white spacer mod. Why does the thing that makes my bike run smoother and stronger have to be less efficient? Sad Maybe I need taller gearing Wink.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:24:15

General CategoryThe Cafe › Might be trading the S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.