Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: How many times has your Linux os crashed on you?

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NO WAY!CANT HAPPEN!  
  0 (0%)
Hasn't on me; just lucky I guess  
  2 (33.3%)
Once... I remember the time........  
  1 (16.6%)
Rarely  
  2 (33.3%)
Occasionally  
  0 (0%)
Plenty of times  
  0 (0%)
Just as bad as Windows  
  1 (16.6%)
Worse than Windows  
  0 (0%)

Total votes: 6
« Created by: cheapnewb24 on: 12/23/15 at 11:33:32 »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Kernel Panic! (Read 168 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Kernel Panic!
12/23/15 at 11:29:13

The discussion on self-driving cars reminds me of the fact that Linux crashes too :Gasp!:

For all you Linux Lovers/Windows Haters out there, Fess up! How many times has your almighty Linux box crashed on you?  Wink

I run OpenSuse, by the way  Wink

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Re: Kernel Panic!
Reply #1 - 12/23/15 at 11:33:32

Here's a cute little poll Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 12/23/15 at 11:50:26

I clicked on this thinking it was about the deep human tragedy everyone knows and understands when someone has carelessly allowed the pantry to run out of popcorn.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 12/23/15 at 12:19:14

So Justin, honestly answer the poll -- how many times has Linux crashed on you?

You do use Linux all the time, BTW -- it runs the internet and everything else around you EXCEPT your Windows based PC.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 12/23/15 at 12:27:57

I can crash that... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 12/23/15 at 13:16:11

I don't know enough to answer it. I'm using a Kindle. It's not perfect, I think the slow down it goes through occasionally is more the fault of the service provider than the software. I do flush cookies and all the bits and bytes that sites put on it every now and then, but have no idea about how better to maintain the speed or reliability..
All in all, I like the Kindle better than any other internet interfacing experience I've had.
Unlike the desktop computer and the tower with the mother board and power supply and different drive options and fans , I can haul this around the house, watch T.V.,whatever, and piddled around. I have seen it lock up, but it has never failed to come back and I have never used or known how to even go about running anti-virus software or Doing anything more than the options given just by dragging the drop down list onto the screen. For all I know there is a Turbo enhancement available in the app store. Or, a hard drive defrag, I dunno. I don't even remember what I was told the OS is.
I'm to computers what the average teen age girl is to cars. Turn it on, it's Supposed to Go. If not, dial 1-800- HelpMe...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 12/23/15 at 13:57:29

Justin,

You use a proprietary fork of open Android as modified (and restricted) by Amazon.   This is Linux, so you can answer the poll.

The stuff is intended to KEEP you on Amazon and show you stuff to buy from Amazon.  It does a good job of that.

It is always behind the times as far as being current goes, but since you value "it just works 100% of the time" more than anything else this is likely a good thing for you.

Fact, it does anything/everything you want or need.    Fire tablets are like Chromebooks, the folks who use them love them and wouldn't change if you wanted them to.

=======================================

Do you talk in your posts or do you type them out?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #7 - 12/23/15 at 16:43:50

Ever had your linux box wake up to an unresponsive blank screen? Not even a flashing cursor. Nothing--Dead--but it's still awake--kinda Roll Eyes.

Ever had it wake up to a background terminal spitting out technical garbage before deciding it's crashed?

Ever had it spit out the word "panic"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_panic

I believe I have seen kernel panics before on my machines (at least my laptop) for various reasons. Sometimes a failure to wake properly. Other times, it had to do with playing with bootable flash drive utilities and stuff like that.

It's been a while since I've had a real full blown memory dump type kernel panic (terminal spitting garbage). However, my laptop gave the "running but not running--didn't quite wake up" type thing maybe a few days ago. I don't remember quite how long ago.

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #8 - 12/24/15 at 06:44:45

I still have and use one of the first Motorola Xoom's. It has been an extremely dependable machine. It has crashed a few time in 4 years but not many. I've  never lost any data. Good machine in my estimation.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 12/24/15 at 07:51:25

Nope, never have.    Seriously.  Never.

But I don't run a laptop either.

I would think you might want to swap distros to something more laptop friendly.   Ubuntu and its derivatives seem to do laptops better than most of the old school Linux distros.

Burn a DVD or two and try the Ubuntu group -- you can get whatever desktop you want in them now-a-days if you look at the selection just a bit before downloading.

I like Gnome, so I can always get what I like in Linux Mint, in two minty flavors no less.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #10 - 12/24/15 at 18:38:14

Ubuntu was my first Linux distro, If I remember correctly. Still have 12.04 on here, just never use it. It's probably so out of date, it would take an eon just to update it. I wonder how many months, or years Shocked it's been since I cranked it up. Don't remember how many times I crashed Ubuntu. Might have done it, though. Don't remember for certain, but I seem to remember doing it.

I run KDE myself, and, compared to Gnome and Unity, I think I prefer it, to some degree. It's configurable. Gnome-- the newer one (3.x, I think)-- is kinda weird, and Unity is okay.... Huh, but neither are configurable. Didn't really give gnome 3 much of a chance. Gnome 2 is alright Smiley. I guess that is what Mint has, or had. Never tried Mint. I've done Ubuntu, Peppermint (only permanently on my Pentium 4), and OpenSuse. Only those 2 distros long term. I've played around with live cd's/flash drives of Xubuntu, Lubuntu, and Mageia. I've tried Xfce on Suse too. Haven't played with any of that stuff in a long time. I just run OpenSuse, and, for now, it works great.

The great thing about KDE is the configurability (besides the Windows-esqeness and the eye candy). I have a widget that can monitor the levels and/or activity of the CPU, Ram, Swap, Harddrive, and network, as well as CPU temperature (5 different readings at that! Shocked).

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 12/24/15 at 19:01:53

You mean I can Talk to this thing and it will type it?

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #12 - 12/24/15 at 19:11:25

HUH? Huh

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 12/24/15 at 19:38:28

Yep, kit kat Android 4.4.4 and more modern will let you talk in a post.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 12/24/15 at 21:33:31

How do I find out? This one is from 2014.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:23:37

General CategoryThe Cafe › Kernel Panic!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.